Advice needed... PLEASE !

FoG

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have some funds coming in soon well hopefully ish soon... I have a potential budget of 1700 Uk pounds ranging to maybe 1900.. I have at the moment a D300 and afew lenses but lack a wide angle which I need ... however the problem being I do some weddings fer friends etc, I do mainly landscapes and now very gratefully have a friend who does weddings as a living who is offering me some second work as and when .. now the problem.. I am looking for a new body a wide angle and maybe some other bits and bobs so far my shopping lists are

ONE ! :- Nikon D7100, Tokina 11-16 PRO then some cards and extra batteries fer me new body and new filters to cover the wider angle lens since i alreadt get filter holder in with my tammie 17-50...

or

TWO:- Nikon D600 with Sigma 10-20 battery and cards and that is budget gone... till raise more

or three hold out fer the D400 whihc let us face it MUST be coming since the D7100 is no where near a Pro level body in Dx format .... nice as it is it is NOT the flagship .. please say it is not please *** if it is RIP DX format fer pro's

ayway thank you to those taking the time to answer you may save my friends brain and mine from melt down tryin to work out how best to spend the cash .. and get great pics to boot ...

current gear .. Tammie 17-50 2.8, Nikon D300, Nikon 50mm 1.8 D, Tammie 70-300 VC leans wise and cam wise various filters polarisers and nd;s etc and flashguns fer strobist stuffs.. remotes yada yada but tis the body and wide nagle that are priority.. oh and I shoot stars LOTS so ISO a must

thanks again fer time spent replying .. feel free to add to me wishlist lol :thinking::LOL::bonk::bang::wave:

I would say just use your money on lenses, I personally think the D300 is more than capable of photographing weddings as I know a few wedding photographers who use the D300 for this purpose.

When it comes to bodies, don't upgrade until you really need to (ie. when your current body has stopped working).

I'm not going to recommend which body or lenses to upgrade to as I'm not really that good with that sort of thing, I just wanted to say, don't waste money on a new body when you don't need it :). A D300 is a very good DSLR.

S
or

TWO:- Nikon D600 with Sigma 10-20 battery and cards and that is budget gone... till raise more

That camera / lens combination are not really suited.

The 10-20mm is a DX lens. The D600 is a Full frame (Fx) camera. So to use the 10-20mm you have to run in DX mode, throwing away ALL the benefits of the D600.

What richard said.

If I we're spending that money on Nikon gear. I'd go for a D600 (full frame quality is unbeatable and it's generally a brilliant camera anyway).

As far as lenses go, I don't know Nikkor's extensive lens range well enough to comment. But if you're buying the D600 brand new, you won't have alot of change for a decent wide angle lens. I'd say get a D600 and see what Sigma are offering for their FF range.

Word to the wise, I use a 17-40 most of the time on my 5d mk2. It never goes past 20mm and I always wish it could be F/2.8 in some situations. Perhaps look at some primes for your landscape work? 20mm F/2.8?

I would say just use your money on lenses, I personally think the D300 is more than capable of photographing weddings as I know a few wedding photographers who use the D300 for this purpose.

When it comes to bodies, don't upgrade until you really need to (ie. when your current body has stopped working).

I'm not going to recommend which body or lenses to upgrade to as I'm not really that good with that sort of thing, I just wanted to say, don't waste money on a new body when you don't need it :). A D300 is a very good DSLR.

Thank you for your input.. To be brutally honest I do a lot of night shooting and altho the D300 I love it to bits it's nooise levels for that side let it down HUGELY for the rest it is way more than up to he job inffact have been so undecided tis only reason put a post in here.. figured some more input need and your comment has made me think more as was gunna offer it for sale to a freind of my other half may now keep and save the funds

What richard said.

If I we're spending that money on Nikon gear. I'd go for a D600 (full frame quality is unbeatable and it's generally a brilliant camera anyway).

As far as lenses go, I don't know Nikkor's extensive lens range well enough to comment. But if you're buying the D600 brand new, you won't have alot of change for a decent wide angle lens. I'd say get a D600 and see what Sigma are offering for their FF range.

Word to the wise, I use a 17-40 most of the time on my 5d mk2. It never goes past 20mm and I always wish it could be F/2.8 in some situations. Perhaps look at some primes for your landscape work? 20mm F/2.8?

hmmm the one I looked at said it was a FF lens ... grrr hate when that happens as that is the biggest problem I have had is deciding to go FF or not I know the FF is the way forward having compared my friends 5D MKII images ot mine for quality it cannot be beaten guess the breathing space needed fer the pixels.. can get the D600 close to a grand online these days well close 1200 at least

That camera / lens combination are not really suited.

The 10-20mm is a DX lens. The D600 is a Full frame (Fx) camera. So to use the 10-20mm you have to run in DX mode, throwing away ALL the benefits of the D600.

second on the Sigma was ghunna stick with D300 and get a D7100 at first but saw this one listed as havinf FF compatibilty ARGH now so confused lol know that Tamron have SP as their FF range if not the DII one but no clue when it comes to Sigma.. grr of to re-check info I guess

oopsie meant the Sigma 12-24 ah see now why you guys sayin not comp

Back