Advice Needed Taekwondo Session

Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon All,

A little advice needed please. These images were practice for a friends forthcoming Taekwondo tournament.

This session was in a poorly lit gym and I found myself shooting with my sigma 70-200 at around f4 - f5.6 (largest I could get) and a slowish 1/20 - 1/60 shutter speed.
I was trying to get sharper pictures (I know at these settings virtually impossible) I didn't use a tripod as I had to move around.

Any thoughts or suggestions are all welcome.

I also used my 430ex speedlite set to zoom 135mm

5567_152662364747f6fe64ba3c3.jpg

5567_200333086247f6fe86c9a1e.jpg

5567_102044938547f81af955645.jpg

5567_190632255647f81b178fbb3.jpg

All C&C is greatly accepted.

Thanks
Paul.

Well Paul, if you cant get a wider aperture or a higher ISO to up those shutter speeds then perhaps you should look at going the other way??

Slow the shutter speed right down to try and show some of the movement and fluidity that's there. A monopod might be useful if you have one to allow slower speeds and a little blob of flash at the end of the exposure will help to define the person inside the blur.

As a general rule of thumb, if I can't get to the settings I'd most like for a shoot due to lack of light, too close or too far or perhaps it's all in the wrong setting, I tend to work it backwards instead. What CAN I achieve here and which option could best be turned to suit the subject.

Works really well sometimes and can open up a whole new and more creative way of looking at things. Can also leave you flat on your face too. :D

dazzajl thanks for the advice.

I must admit I had thought about a monopod and will have to invest in one. I am still trying to look at a good lens for these types of photos as I like to shoot sports/events etc.

I have a 50mm 1.8 which I may try next time to give me a bit of a boost in shutter speed.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Even without a monopod it's well worth a try. Have a go with .5, .8 and even a second or more on the shutter with a 2nd curtain sync fire from the 430. The success or failure of these shots is mostly down to timing and how well the sharp bit from the flash sits within the blur from the long shutter but you can get some very impressive looking shots.

The fact the camera will move a little too actually helps as the background gets blurred and helps take away the dull school gym look and lift the subject.

Back