Edit My Images
Yes
I have an odd case scenario where I’m butting up a monocular (previously a binocular) to an old Polaroid so I can get some additional magnification.

I don’t know very much about equipment and I need some advice: What would be the best way to mount this set up on a single tripod?

Or if a bunch of options could be suggested I’d appreciate that!

One thing to note is that the monocular lens’s support will be offset to the line of the camera so I’m not sure if equipment exists to cater for supporting that?

Attachments

• 83827A41-9EB9-41E1-A736-EE102DE134AD.jpeg
    83827A41-9EB9-41E1-A736-EE102DE134AD.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DDEFF335-CAF7-4079-BBCE-CC6541B48D52.jpeg
    DDEFF335-CAF7-4079-BBCE-CC6541B48D52.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
Looks like it would be very simple indeed to knock up a custom bracket from a bent length of flat bar (which could be aluminium for light weight and freedom from rust). You'd need a couple of (tripod) screws to mount your parts, and the bar could be drilled & tapped (at about the balance point?) 1/4" or 3/8" Whitworth to mount onto a mono / tripod head.

Looks like it would be very simple indeed to knock up a custom bracket from a bent length of flat bar (which could be aluminium for light weight and freedom from rust). You'd need a couple of (tripod) screws to mount your parts, and the bar could be drilled & tapped (at about the balance point?) 1/4" or 3/8" Whitworth to mount onto a mono / tripod head.
Yeah that’s not a bad idea. How would you suggest I mount and integrate the flat bar to the existing tripod mount I have?

I don’t mind something being custom but if I can, I’d like it to be a bit more modular I guess? So if I plan on doing something similar in the future, I can play about with more lenses etc.

Well at root you could just have a straight flat bar (easy to source) drilled at intervals, and the monocular could mount via an extended screw (removable) whilst the Polaroid sits on the bar. Or you could make up custom mounts for each application - the parts are cheap enough.

Not sure what you mean by tripod mount. Is it something like a ball head, or a quick-release plate?

Last edited:
Now I'm curious about how you get focus (with an SX-70).

This, although strictly speaking, the threads are UNC rather than Whitworth.

This, although strictly speaking, the threads are UNC rather than Whitworth.
Good clarification, Nod - I've had the Whitworth delusion for at least 50 years!

So have many! Whitworth nuts/bolts will fit and do the job for most photographic purposes but the thread profiles are slightly different (the diameters and thread pitches are the same.)

Now I'm curious about how you get focus (with an SX-70).
It’s no issue actually. Since the monocular is essentially an auxiliary lens (similar to ones you slap onto the front of a camcorder) you’re all good.

Back