Advice needed what MF camera

I think this has been discussed before, but I'd recommend the SQ series over the ETR, as the SQ cameras can do everything that the ETR can do (e.g., nearly identical features, accessories, and lens lineup) for the about the same money and size, but you'd have the option of switching between 6x6 and 6x4.5 backs with the SQ and it's far easier to use it with the waist level finder.

The SQ series has to be one of the best values in medium format photography.

Well I've forgotten the answer as to why Bronica ever made the ETRS....seems a duplication.

I think this has been discussed before, but I'd recommend the SQ series over the ETR, as the SQ cameras can do everything that the ETR can do (e.g., nearly identical features, accessories, and lens lineup) for the about the same money and size, but you'd have the option of switching between 6x6 and 6x4.5 backs with the SQ and it's far easier to use it with the waist level finder.

The SQ series has to be one of the best values in medium format photography.
Will the SQ 6x45 back shoot in portrait mode?

Well I've forgotten the answer as to why Bronica ever made the ETRS....seems a duplication.

Well, the ETR series used to be a lot cheaper. Now that the prices have dropped considerably on both, I think the SQ offers more for similar money.

Will the SQ 6x45 back shoot in portrait mode?

No, it is in landscape mode, so you'd have to turn the whole camera 90°. If you pick up a Bronica GS-1 though, you have the option of 6x7 (landscape), 6x6, and 6x4.5 in portrait orientation.

Well, the ETR series used to be a lot cheaper. Now that the prices have dropped considerably on both, I think the SQ offers more for similar money.

No, it is in landscape mode, so you'd have to turn the whole camera 90°. If you pick up a Bronica GS-1 though, you have the option of 6x7 (landscape), 6x6, and 6x4.5 in portrait orientation.
ok, so will the GS-1 shoot landscape and portrait mode with a 6x45 back, without turning the camera 90° ?

ok, so will the GS-1 shoot landscape and portrait mode with a 6x45 back, without turning the camera 90° ?

No, it is portrait orientation only for 6x4.5; the back does not rotate. The GS-1 has a rotary viewfinder though and it's probably the lightest modular 6x7 SLR system.

Might as well get an RB67 then, can shoot both 6x7 and 6x4.5 in landscape and portrait...

I *think* the only camera that ever had a rotating back was the RB67, but I'm not sure about the Fuji680. Anyone here ever used one?

The 680 rotates, I used one a few years ago with a digi back that didn't rotate, maybe because it was square, I dunno I can't remember, but the film backs rotate

I *think* the only camera that ever had a rotating back was the RB67, but I'm not sure about the Fuji680. Anyone here ever used one?

And the RZ67, amongst others.

I know that there are a number of newer medium format cameras that accept rotating backs. For instance, I'm fairly certain that a number of the 600x series Rolleiflexes could accept rotating 6x4.5 backs. I think that the Rolleiflex HY6 offered a rotating film back as well; I know for certain that it had the option of a rotating digital back.

Last edited:
And the RZ67, amongst others.

I know that there are a number of newer medium format cameras that accept rotating backs. For instance, I'm fairly certain that a number of the 600x series Rolleiflexes could accept rotating 6x4.5 backs. I think that the Rolleiflex HY6 offered a rotating film back as well; I know for certain that it had the option of a rotating digital back.
I stand corrected then - thanks! I know none of the Bronicas, Mamiyas or Hasselblads rotated, and clearly the RFs can't either, but I'd forgotten the Rolleis.

I know none of the Bronicas, Mamiyas or Hasselblads rotated, and clearly the RFs can't either, but I'd forgotten the Rolleis.

Not sure if that's just a typo, but the RB67 and RZ67 models are Mamiyas.

Might as well get an RB67 then, can shoot both 6x7 and 6x4.5 in landscape and portrait...

The RB67 is right up there in value, I would say with the Bronica SQ-A, and it's extremely versatile. In addition to the 6x7, 6x6, and 6x4.5 backs, it also has a much more useful polaroid back option than any of the Bronicas offer and some RB67 models are even capable of 6x8. That versatility comes at the expense of size, however; the RB67 is significantly larger than any of the Bronicas. I don't mind the size in terms of using and handling the camera; it's just that none of the bags that I currently own will fit the camera for transport and storage.

Not sure if that's just a typo, but the RB67 and RZ67 models are Mamiyas.

Indeed - I was only thinking of the 6x4.5 models, but of course the RB and RZ can rotate. The Pentax 645 and 67 can be added to the list that don't.

Back