advice needed

Bob

Name
Faithless
Edit My Images
No
Going to the Blue John mines next month as Ihave never been can anyone recommend me a lens to use while in there or will 1 of the lens Ialready have be ok. I have a canon 70-200 f4 and canon 28-135 or will I need something bit faster
cheers Bob

Very low light from what I remember of my trip and would think something a bit faster would be very handy

Thought that might be the case better start looking in classified any advice on which lens I should look at

Bob

Thought that might be the case better start looking in classified any advice on which lens I should look at

Bob

If you want a large aperture for the least cash, it's got to be a 50mm.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 is cheap as chips, around £70-£80.. the f/1.4 version is a bit more pricey, around the £270 mark.

If you want f/1.2, you're into paying silly money :nuts:

A.

If you want a large aperture for the least cash, it's got to be a 50mm.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 is cheap as chips, around £70-£80.. the f/1.4 version is a bit more pricey, around the £270 mark.

If you want f/1.2, you're into paying silly money :nuts:

A.

Was thinking more of a zoom lens just been reading about the tamron 17-50 f2.8xr Dill ld guide price £329 new

I don't know what the mines are like, but I used the 28-135 at Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge with a tripod and hand-held.
The tripod shots would have been good, if I had remembered to turn off the IS for them. The hand-held shots were alright
50 f/1.8 would have been better IMO, but maybe not enough.

if mines are anything like caves you might want to be using multiple flashes off camera

if they're lit then a tripod might be more useful unless they're very bright where 2.8 and high iso might work, though 1.4 is 2 stops faster......

tripod is a must for any better pics (f/2.8 at ISO 1600 will be far too low). Maybe ultra wideangle would be good if there are any nice scenes. I haven't been to that one though.

I'm off to the Llechwedd Mine in Wales next week. I'll be bringing my 10-22 and a tripod, from what I've seen the mines are lit with ambient light. Perfect for a UWA and a tripod, espeically over the water, can't wait!

A lot of the well known caves / mines are similar, with normally the most attractive cavern dimly lit with ambient lighting - I only hope all the other visitors dont ruin my long esposures with their P&S flashes, lol!!

Dont worry too much about a 'fast lens' as you'll have to really push the ISO if you are doing it hand held (which is why I'd assume you want very fast glass) which in my mind could ruin the picture. Tripods are the order of the day.

Thanks for all advice will look into tri pod as another avenue
Bob

Back