Advice needed

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, i'm James, 15 fom Wolverhampton and am to looking to buy my first DSLR camera. I've been looking at a few diferent ones and am still undecided as to which one to go for. I was thinking either the Canon 1000D, Nikon D3000 or the Canon 450D. So far the Canon 450D looks about the best but it is also the most expensieve where as i could get the 1000D with the EF-S 18-55mm, ef 75mm-300mm lens and a canon bag for £400. However i was reading on here earlyer today that the (non IS) lens with the 1000D's aren't as good as the (IS) ones which come with the 450D. The D3000 looks like a good allrounder but looks soon be replaced with the D3100. I have about £400 - £450 to spend.

So this is where i'm at, all suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks, James (y)

Last edited:
secondhand D70s every time. you will be able to buy a second hand SB600/800 and a few memory cards and maybee a second lens for that budget

For learning on,and using in anger, it is a very competent camera, with some great features (especially for off camera flash) , and does everything you will ever want or need it to

Last edited:
Hi James,

The 450D is a great camera. You could pick one up in the classifieds for about £250-£280 and you could then try and pick up a 50mm f1.8 for about £50-£55 in the same section. You would be able to take really nice shots with this combination as the lens is far superior to the other two you mention. Anything else you need to know give me a shout and i'll help if i can.

Regards

Scott

Hi James and welcome, if you are just starting out then first off go into a shop and get to handle some kit. The choice you have is quite wide and varied, as for which lens works best with which model I aint got a clue :shrug: I had a 450D myself coupled with a 300mm IS. If you have made up your mind what kind of photography you wish to follow that should help, but I guess as you are starting off then you will probably play about with a bit of everything. Your first priority will be learning your camera and getting the image exposed correctly followed by editing, this for a beginner will be more than enough to keep you occupied for a while :D You could go out and buy a camera and a couple of lenses, or you could just buy the camera and a small zoom lens just to see how you get on with it all. Everybody`s thought will be different on what to do in a situation like this so only you can decide.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everyone :)

I'm going to the local Jessops the weekend so will have a play with some different ones and i'll let you all know how i get on.
If i like the 450d i'll be buying a second hand or refurbished one definatly and as for the type of photography i want to follow it will probably be a bit of everything but mostly macro and landscape.

Thanks, James

Back