Advice Needed

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking for some advice.

I want to get a wide angle lens for my Canon 7Dmk1. I currently have the Canon 24-105mm F4 L. But find it a bit limiting doing Landscape and architecture. I've been looking at the 17-40mm F4 L and the 16-35mm F2.8 L mk2. I can afford to get a new 17-40mm but the 16-35mm would have to be a used one.

I like the build quality of an "L" lens so would like to stick with them, what are people using and what are their opinions of both these lenses?

Going forward I would like to add a full fame camera to my kit so I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Thanks Phil

Ah right, fair enough. TBH I would look to add the Canon 10-18mm STM. If you can find one used they are a bargain and offer great IQ. It'll be plenty wide enough for your requirements and will hold its value if you do move to FF.

What's the quality like compared to the 17-40mm?
Between 10mm and 16mm it's infinitely better.

The bottom line is that the 17-40 is only an OK UWA on FF, and on crop it's a very average short std zoom.

If you want a UWA, your choices are 10-18, 10-22 Canon.
10-20 or 12-24 Sigma

Probably others too, but a 16-35 or 17-40 is just not really wide enough.

The Canon 10-18mm is cheap enough to try and move on without losing much. If you can pick one up used, you would probably lose nothing by giving it a try. Sharp and light too. I have a Sigma 10-20mm and the Canon is sharper from what I've seen.

Back