Advice on a compact camera

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Have been going round in circles looking at reviews and don't know which ones to trust so.......

I want a few ideas/recommendations on a compact camera please.
Here's what spec. I want.
Zoom up to about 110 minimum (more is better but not bothered about silly numbers or even ultra wide)
Fast-ish lens
Not really bothered about pocketability
Reasonable low light performance
Built in stabilisation (although not really a deal breaker)
Must have manual control as well as auto modes
A discontinued model would be ok if it's got what I want.
Will only be printing up to 6x4 "
Tripod socket
Viewfinder (evf or optical)
£500 max. price but the cheaper the better obviously.

On the other hand...I do have a Panasonic GX1.....would I be better off looking at a zoom for this? I'm worried that low light performance in the 'newer' compacts have moved on so don't want to buy a lens if i can get a better compact.
Thanks in advance
JohnyT

Last edited:
HVe a look at a website called camera decision as I have no real answer to this...

You could have a look at the Panasonic TZ100, it's a 1" sensor compact and it's just about on budget. The lens isn't "fast" but if you're printing 6x4 I think the results will be very acceptable. There's a new model coming out so prices for this one might dip.

I think the closest to your spec is the Fujifilm X30 at the expense of the low-light requirement. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued for a couple of years but is much in demand second-hand so prices can be unrealistic.
The TZ100 is also a good choice, as Alan says, but you might find the EVF to be disappointing.
A slightly left-field suggestion - Sony RX10 or RX10 II. Rather too large to be a compact camera but otherwise ticks all your boxes.

Last edited:
Another pair of votes for the Fuji X30 or the Panasonic TZ100. I prefer the look of the Fuji's output but the Panny fits in a shirt pocket. If I could only keep one of them, it would be the baby Fuji and I'd get a carry case for it!

If you're going to repeat yourself you could at least provide a proper link to the site you're recommending.
Well, I am away on holiday and the signal failed so I wasn’t aware that I had repeated myself. Perhaps you might ponder not being snarky when someone is trying to help whilst in the back of beyond.

Left field suggestion!!!

How about going down the David Hockney "Joiner" route and shoot film? A 36 exposure roll would give you up to 3' x 2' of wall coverage and the discipline of making each shot count could be fun too.

Well, I am away on holiday and the signal failed so I wasn’t aware that I had repeated myself. Perhaps you might ponder not being snarky when someone is trying to help whilst in the back of beyond.
I can only comment on what I see and, great though my abilities may be, they're still not good enough to tell where someone is located.

Left field suggestion!!!

How about going down the David Hockney "Joiner" route and shoot film? A 36 exposure roll would give you up to 3' x 2' of wall coverage and the discipline of making each shot count could be fun too.
@Nod
Yes I had thought of going down this route. I had shot a few with my DSLR and lenses and don't manipulate the images (only resize to 6x4) and then get them printed out I've even shot some with my phone but getting the 'right' lens size is difficult. I suppose any point and shoot would suffice really as long as there is an element of control and there is more at the telephoto end.

On the other hand...I do have a Panasonic GX1.....would I be better off looking at a zoom for this? I'm worried that low light performance in the 'newer' compacts have moved on so don't want to buy a lens if i can get a better compact.
If you're only printing 6x4, the GX1 will be absolutely fine in my opinion. Might I suggest investing in a lens instead. The majority of the lumix zooms have build in stabilisation. A 70-200mm equivalent like this would be ideal. Well inside your budget.

I'm a great fan of Hockney (including his joiners).

I can only comment on what I see and, great though my abilities may be, they're still not good enough to tell where someone is located.
Hmm... I wonder why you felt the need to comment in that way - not humourous at all.

Panasonic TZ100 all the way.....
Andrew, can you expand a little..?

I'm thinking of getting something small-ish for holidays and just was wondering about the Panasonic FZ330, but the TZ100 is much the same sort of price, but smaller.
Size isn't so important, nor is low light really, but a big zoom could be useful.
Sorry to be jumping in on your thread Johnytuono !

If you're only printing 6x4, the GX1 will be absolutely fine in my opinion. Might I suggest investing in a lens instead. The majority of the lumix zooms have build in stabilisation. A 70-200mm equivalent like this would be ideal. Well inside your budget.

I'm a great fan of Hockney (including his joiners).

Was going to post and say exactly the same thing. If you're printing at 6x4 then most digital cameras (even in low light) will be fine at this size.
You'll be fine printing at A4 too and probably at A3 also with the GX1.

I've had some lovely A4 prints from a G3 (same sensor, processor etc as the GX1).

Thanks for all that's posted so far. It's given me good guidance.
Now to keep my eye on the classifieds for a 'top end' telephoto zoom. I know that's probably overkill for the size I'm printing at but there's nothing to say I'm going to stick just with this subject material.
Thanks again
JohnyT

Back