Advice on a lens for a present

Edit My Images
No
Hi
My other half has treated himself to a Canon d550. One of the reasons he bought it was to take pictures at race circuits as he is into motorbikes. I know he has been looking at 300mm zoom lenses and Im hoping to buy one for his birthday. To be honest Im lost as the range is very confusing, so I have a few questions-

1-Is a 70-300 telephoto different to a 70-300 macro?
better with or without stabilisation for sports?

2-USM or not?

3-What is the image quality difference likely to be between the canon ones at £200 and the more expensive ones?

4-Canon or compatible ie Sigma and so on?

5-Places to buy or just go for cheapest?

Sorry for all the questions, didnt know it would be so complicated!
Thanks

Hi
Others with greater knowledge will be along to answer in detail or what I can't... But to start

The macro just means that it will focus from a few inches or feet away eg to take pictures close up of flowers. A lens that long eg above 200 will always benefit from stabilisation as it helps reduce blur from camera shake especially if not using a tripod.

2-USM or not?
I think USM motors are quieter but just guessing that one

3-What is the image quality difference likely to be between the canon ones at £200 and the more expensive ones?

I am looking at a new lens and the site linked is very helpful between different quality

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...p=678&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLI=7&API=5

As above will help. There are some very good Sigma and Tameron lenses.

This link may help

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html

Well, started looking in Jessops and Amazon at the usm III at around £200.

If the lens is 75-300 "macro" is it still suitable for distance shots or best sticking to one not described as macro? Unless paying mega bucks, are the price increases due to better optics or things like usm, stabilisation etc?

Sorry to answer with more questions

for a little more £££ you could go for the Canon 70-300mm IS USM. It's very highly regarded as being one of the sharpest telephotos in that price range that canon make.

It's also worth considering the 70-200mm f/4 L USM which is a belter (around £400)

or the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS (250 ish)

all 3 of these are great lenses, if maybe a little over-budget.

Macro lenses can still be used for general purposes and can still focus to infinity, they just add the possibility of focusing much closer too.

Prices go up with better optics, stabilisation, USM and other factors. Generally price is a good guide as to the quality you're getting.

for a little more £££ you could go for the Canon 70-300mm IS USM. It's very highly regarded as being one of the sharpest telephotos in that price range that canon make.

It's also worth considering the 70-200mm f/4 L USM which is a belter (around £400)

or the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS (250 ish)

all 3 of these are great lenses, if maybe a little over-budget.

This one?
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-usm-lens/p1010309

getting expensive!

Simply Electronics are doing the 70-300mm IS USM for £384.95 and free delivery. It really is a great lens. The next best would be the 55-250mm IS, again Simply Electronics have them on offer at £153.95 and free delivery. I have never used one of these, but have heard good reports.

if you can stretch to it, i really would go for the 70-200 f4. optically it's a MUCH better lens than the 70-300, and it's not too much more expensive. i'd be chuffed to rocks if i got the 70-200 f4 for my birthday!

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-70-200mm-f4-l-usm-lens/p12848

granted, it depends on what your other half photographs, but i guarantee that if he's currently got a low end zoom (such as the kit lens or similarly cheap lens) he will NOT be taking the 70-200 off his camera for a long time to come.

i'm not saying the 70-300 is a rubbish lens, it's just that if he doesn't need the extra reach, the constant f4 aperture makes all the difference and i think would make him a happy man indeed.

he said the photographer at the race circuit said a 300 was the one to go for to get close enough

i'd still rather have the 70-200 and get a bit closer with my feet! the race photographer would be using a 300mm lens which costs several times more than the 70-300.

i'd still rather have the 70-200 and get a bit closer with my feet! the race photographer would be using a 300mm lens which costs several times more than the 70-300.

That would depend on which circuits the OP husband goes to. A 200mm lens at most places on a race circuit would be too short due to a number of factors like safety fencing or distance to the track. I'm not disagreeing that the 70-200mm f4 isn't a better lens, it is a great lens, but a 300mm would be more practical.

from the reviews there isn't a great deal of difference between the 55-250mm and 70-300mm lenses (although the 70-300mm might just edge image quality), apart from the price.

Personally wouldn't buy from Simply Electronics because most of their goods are grey market and they offer their own warranty not the manufacturers (that why they're cheaper), also alot of people have had bad dealings with them with get money back when there's been no stock even though they've said they had stock on their website.

These so called macro lenses don't really offer a great deal, personally you would be better off getting a dedicated macro lens or using extension tubes on a prime like the 50mm f1.8 As for IS, thats really designed for stationary photography to allow a few extra f-stops (apeture) and most sports photographer don't use it

2-USM or not?

USM will give you faster focusing over a lens that hasn't got it, so would recommend a USM lens

It really depends what you mean by expensive ones. Some thing like the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 is around £1700 and would knock the socks off most of these budget zooms which tends to be the lens of choice for the motorsport togs (apart from the primes eg 300mm f2.8) another lens would be the canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 or sigma 100-300mm f4. The budget lenses are ok, you get some good shots when the conditions are right, but they do have their limitations. Another lens popular on a budget is the sigma 120-400mm f4-5.6 but I assume we're talking closer to the £200/250 mark rather than £400+

As mentioned there are good canon, tamron and sigma lenses that would fit a canon body

This website is usually a good place to start for price information or google shopping http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Can I make a point, the lady wants the lens for partner at motor bike races, already been advised at track, 300mm minimum. The budget looks like topping out at around £400 . . . less preferred?

I'm confused and I know what all these numbers are about, surly one or two of you could get your feet on the ground and be straight forward . . . ? At least give an option either/or in the correct focal length and within budget . . . ?

CJS

Can I make a point, the lady wants the lens for partner at motor bike races, already been advised at track, 300mm minimum. The budget looks like topping out at around £400 . . . less preferred?

I'm confused and I know what all these numbers are about, surly one or two of you could get your feet on the ground and be straight forward . . . ? At least give an option either/or in the correct focal length and within budget . . . ?

CJS

the reason is that towards the budget end of the market, a 300mm lens whilst may have the reach, may not have the optical quality or other features (such as aperture) for the photographer to get the best results and to be honest, with a budget of £400 every option is a compromise one way or other and for the original poster it comes down to optical quality vs reach.

i think contributors are just giving her a few options to think about.

The first thing i noticed when i got my hands on a 300mm zoom, was how little difference there is between 200mm and 300mm at the long end. OK so 300mm is better because it will let you fill all of the frame instead of 2/3 of it (depending how far away your subject is and how big it is), but it's not that big a deal. You'd be surprised how little "zoomage" you get between 200 and 300mm. And you hardly get any zoom at all for your money between 250mm and 300mm.

So i would be tempted not to go for the 75-300mm, but instead go for the 55-250 IS. The image quality is great, which means he'll be able to just crop the edges of the image if he can't fill the frame with the bikes. And this lens is in your budget of £200.

If you had £400?
1) a second hand canon 70-200 f/4 L
2) a second hand sigma 70-200 f/2.8
3) a canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

...are all good lenses, but if i were you i would try the 55-250 IS as an introduction and if he NEEDS more zoom/ better image quality/ blurry backgrounds etc. then he can always upgrade later on.

Did i mention you should get the 55-250? ;)

Is the IS necessary if he uses his telescopic leg on the camera?

yes, because he will be panning from side to side with the camera to follow the bikes and the IS will counteract the "up and down" movement.

Taken from the warehouse express canon 55-250 IS description:
Automatic panning detection automatically turns off the Image Stabiliser in either the horizontal or vertical direction when following moving subjects

(y)

Pretty sure the lens you want is the 70-300 IS. Very good lens, and good value. Even 300mm for bikes will not be quite enough at some circuits, but it gets much more expensive after that.

Even 300mm for bikes will not be quite enough at some circuits,

thats true but it depends how close you are to the track surely?

budget plays a big part:

£200 gets you the 55-250 IS
£400 gets you the 70-300 IS

happy shopping!

thats true but it depends how close you are to the track surely?

budget plays a big part:

£200 gets you the 55-250 IS
£400 gets you the 70-300 IS

happy shopping!

Well yes, of course it depends on how close you can get. But at race tracks you are limited by the fence - that's it, no foot zoom available - and bikes are small. You'll see plenty of professionals, even with track passes, using 500-600mm.

To complete the list, next up is the 100-400L at £1250, then you jump to primes in the several thousands.

Clare, if you want to stick to a budget lens, this one by Sigma takes some beating.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-apo-macro-super-dg-lens-canon-fit/p1008569

It doesn't have IS, but I found it light enough to not need it.
It does have it's limitations, but you would have to spend a lot more to see much improvement.

I now have the Canon 70-200 F4 L (£529 new at Warehouse Express) or a good seconhand one can be had for around £400.
It is a corking lens, but maybe a little short for track work.

The sigma is about the same price as the USM Canon non IS one, I would have thought the canon would be better?

The 75-300 usm canon is not a good buy IMO, the 55-250 and 70-300 is lenses are much better for image quality. Dunno about sigmas but they're probably better than the 75-300 usm...

To be honest theres only one lens worth having around your budget and 300mm and thats the IS Canon 70-300mm , it wipes the floor with the Tamron and Sigma 70-300's - Theres one for sale on here £295- (nothing to do with me) here - the IQ from this lens is excellent .

Didnt spot that one, there is one up for £250 as well in that section. Bit less on ebay but Im not a fan of buys like this from "unknown" people if you know what I mean :)
I was hoping to get it sorted before the end of this week as we are away, I know he has been looking around but wasnt planning on buying anything until we are back!
I will pretend I didnt read the bit about "IQ" as I have no idea what it is and its confusing enough as it is !

IQ - Image Quality :)

Just make sure its IS - Image Stabilized - helps with the shakes and

USM - Ultra sonic motor - makes if focus nice and quickly and quietly

Just to add to that, I suppose its like cars- a posher second hand 2liter turbo or a new 1800 diesel :)

Yes - and if you dont like it you should be able to sell it on without too much of a loss - if any.

I was just about to say does anyone know anything about the "Tamron 28-300mm for CANON F3.5-6.3 XRDI" but dont think it has stabilisation

crikey, this is soooo complicated!

Not really Claire ;) If you can stretch to the Canon 70-300 IS, that's by far the best choice this side of £1k.

And as you have discovered in the for sale section, they sell easily used for good money (y)

Looks like Im getting him a canon IS from a member here. Thanks for your help, i will make sure he gets on here to say thanks!

Back