Advice on Autumn colours

Name
Eddie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Possibly a stupid question, but I'm hoping to capture some nice autumn shots this year, however I'm unsure when the "peak" for autumn colours tends to be or how long this magical period lasts. Is it a case of the golden leaves will be around for a few months, or will they all be gone in a few weeks?!

Hopefully not too daft a question. I'm quite busy at the moment but don't want to miss out!

Eddie.

Alot depends on the type of tree. On one road near me all the trees are already turning Brown. Thay are all the same type. All the other trees around are still green.

The last week of October and the first week of November is usually the peak season but it all depends on the temperature shifts.

Start going out now to look around an area where you think you'll get strong colour and be prepared to pop back if there's blue skies and strong sun.

I'd say it won't be the greatest autumn this year but you never now for sure

nice article in outdoor photographer this month. great cover photo to. impressive mag

Peter's suggestion is spot on.

Many things in landscapes can change quickly.

The really speed merchants are sunrises and sunsets - a few minutes is enough to make or miss a good shot.

This is less so with autumn colours, but having some ideas of locations before you even think of taking some photos is always useful.

Dave

There is an internet site called TPE ( The Photographers Ephemeris) this will help you to determine the time of day to arrive at the location to get the shot you want. It tells you where the sun or moon will rise and where they will set at any given time of the year.

It varies so much from year to year.
For good colour build up we need light winds and low overnight temperatures for several days
An early frost or strong wind and many will literally drop before your eyes without really changing other than to brown.

It not only depends on the type of tree , it all so depends on where you live . here in west Cornwall it has,n,t even started to turn .

Yeah a lot of variables in this question.

One important point here is the light, if you can get a golden light as dusk is approaching it really brings out the beautiful autumn colours on the landscape...

As others have said - it's a bit of a "piece of string" question - best advice is keep your eyes open!! I was in the Lake District last weekend and would have said that it "getting there" - next weekend would also be good - but weekend after will be too late. However one windy and/or rainy day and it could all be gone tomorrow....... Also I drove from Manchester to Tyneside last week - Manchester still relatively green, Lake District - nice colours, over the high passes in Northumberland - most leaves on the ground and trees bare.

My thought is spend late September and early October scouting out potential locations and then keep and eye on them - check out any web cams of the areas too - there are more about than you may think!

I think you just need to keep getting out there, and checking, youve prob missed the chestnut trees and ash, so look for beech woods, they should yield or you

Hi all,

Possibly a stupid question, but I'm hoping to capture some nice autumn shots this year, however I'm unsure when the "peak" for autumn colours tends to be or how long this magical period lasts. Is it a case of the golden leaves will be around for a few months, or will they all be gone in a few weeks?!

Hopefully not too daft a question. I'm quite busy at the moment but don't want to miss out!

Eddie.

Not really a stupid question, different trees shed their leaves at different times, its a bit late this year, so look for different types of wood, and watch them, of course look for woods with water for fab reflections, think all thats left now is beech and sycamore heres a sycamore leaf http://tinyurl.com/9698pn5 if you cant get out bring it to you (y)

Back