Advice on battery grip for Canon 30D

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
After all the top tips I got on here for purchasing a polarising filter. I thought I would put it out there about battery grips.............. are they essential to have in my kit??? If so which one????
I get the benefits to having one, i.e portrait shots, longer shooting times because of extra battery power, which may come in useful for an up coming road trip planned to France. Any help or views would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Dave.

I use a grip on smaller cameras because I'm used to 1D cameras. It just makes them more familiar to me.

Also with longer lenses I find the combination balances better because your holding the body of the camera lower down in your hand.

As for which grip - I've had the BG-E2N on my 40D/50D and I've always been happy with it.

Third party grips such as Phottix, Hahnel and Meike seem popular.

Last edited:
Ive got a meike grip on my 20D, and a canon one on my 40D - imo i theres not much difference, so i'd suggest buying a third party one as they are much cheaper (this what i shall be doing with my newly acquired 70D)

One point though is that they do add size and weight - personally i like that because i have big hands, but it isnt for everyone

I had the BG-E2N on mine (later model for the 40D), think the prices have dropped somewhat nowadays, so genuine ones are £15-35 used, so not much incentive to buy a 3rd party one. I bought mine when they were still fetching £100 so bought a 20D with one attached then sold the 20D on.

Rear end shunt means I've dropped the grips off my camera bodies nowadays to cut size/weight, much as I loved the handling of them with them fitted.

I've had a look at the Meike brand and there seem to be good reports about them. Does any one now anything about the one with the LCD panel on it, what it does? or is it just a gimick?

I've had a look at the Meike brand and there seem to be good reports about them. Does any one now anything about the one with the LCD panel on it, what it does? or is it just a gimick?

The LCD panel is an intervalometer, so may or may not be a gimmick depending on your usage

The LCD panel is an intervalometer, so may or may not be a gimmick depending on your usage
Thanks, for that Jon. Might have to do a bit more reading on that. Might not be that essential for my needs. We'll see :)

When there are new Canon grips on eBay for less than £60 and boxed used ones for less that £40, why would you buy anything else? OE for me, every time.

When there are new Canon grips on eBay for less than £60 and boxed used ones for less that £40, why would you buy anything else? OE for me, every time.

Didn't see any new ones for £60, only one I saw was for £120. Not really that keen on buying second hand, a few bad experiences (not camera gear). Might have the loan of one sorted for my road trip, so at least I'll see whether it's something I want to invest in for the future.

As far as I know, the BG-E2N has improved sealing compared the the original bg-e2 grip. It will fit the 30D. I have one which is shared between my 20D and 50D. Useful when shooting with larger lenses as it improves handling and balance. Also useful for protrait/vertical shooting.

I'd say it's a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have' item.

Hi everyone,
After all the top tips I got on here for purchasing a polarising filter. I thought I would put it out there about battery grips.............. are they essential to have in my kit??? If so which one????
I get the benefits to having one, i.e portrait shots, longer shooting times because of extra battery power, which may come in useful for an up coming road trip planned to France. Any help or views would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Dave.

I've got a used original canon grip that was attached to my 20D which I no longer use, comes with 2 original used canon batteries that will fit your 30D, comes with original box, 20D u/s, if you are interested, pm me and I'll put it on the sale forum so that its all above board. You meet the requirements just with 27 posts.

Dave.
I've got a used original canon grip that was attached to my 20D which I no longer use, comes with 2 original used canon batteries that will fit your 30D, comes with original box, 20D u/s, if you are interested, pm me and I'll put it on the sale forum so that its all above board. You meet the requirements just with 27 posts.

Hi Pete,
that's a really kind offer, but my mate is giving me the loan of his for my trip and said that if I'm interested he'll sell it to me. So I'll see how I get on with it.
Many thanks though.

Dave.

As far as I know, the BG-E2N has improved sealing compared the the original bg-e2 grip. It will fit the 30D. I have one which is shared between my 20D and 50D. Useful when shooting with larger lenses as it improves handling and balance. Also useful for protrait/vertical shooting.

I'd say it's a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have' item.

Hi Glenn,
thanks for that advice, I agree about the portraits comment makes things a lot less fiddly from what I can see. I'm going to see how I get on with the "loaner" whilst discovering if it's going to be something that I can't live without. Watch this space ha ha.

Dave.

Back