Advice on buying 1st DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
I have decided to buy my first DSLR having only used compact digital cameras in the past. As a keen pre-purchase researcher I read magazines, reviews, join photography forums etc etc. The result is that I am now armed with a little knowledge which from all accounts can be dangerous. So to confuse myself even further I have decided to throw open the question to the forum and see what comes back. (brain damage probably!)

To assist you with deciding on any recommendations, I have a very basic knowledge of photography but am a quick learner (mechanics rather than creativity). I would probably use the camera for family photographs, kid sports, birds (feathered kind), landscapes and anything else that takes my interest. In terms of a budget I had £1000 in mind for a camera and at least 1 decent lens. I have read a number of reports that are critical of kit lenses. Not sure if that's fair or not.

The initial thoughts are the Nikon D90 with the kit lens or perhaps with a 17-55mm f2.8 zoom lens (bit more than the budget I know) or should I stretch to a D300? Great reviews but would this be a waste on a relative beginner? Also considered a Canon EOS40D and a Pentax K20D.

My thoughts are that I would rather buy something that would not need upgrading in the foreseeable future than buy at the entry level and then have to trade-in. Or have I got this completely wrong?

My apologies for the long post but if you've got this far I would be grateful for any advice and once I've made my decision I'll let you all know where the money went.

Thanks

I would suggest buying a second hand Nikon D80, the D90 isn't that much of an upgrade and will cost much more, a D40 would be cheaper, but is rather small and can only use AF-s and AF-I lenses in autofocus mode (Standard AF is out).

I always recommend Grey's of Westminster, if you ring them and ask for advice they'll happily chat about what you need from your kit and what kit would be best for you, and they'll be very helpful and honest. They can offer some good deals on second hand cameras and certain lenses (including warranty).

You can also try the For Sale section on here, which is pretty trustworthy too.

Edit: if you can afford the D300 and a Lens, (I recommend the Nikkor 18-70mm AF-s ED IF or the Nikkor 18-200mm AF-s) go for it, It will be a steep learning curve, but if you're prepared to make the outlay and effort with it, It certainly won't be wasted on you.

I would suggest that until you have gone and held a range of bodies from different manufacturers you do not fixate on one brand/model.

Feel and layout is important. I use Nikon because it feels right for me and only me.

Once you can decide then you can look at your budget and decide on either a new entry level or used higher spec.

So decide as well if you want a lower spec body and better lenses or vice versa. People also have strong opinions on that, but remember opinions apply only to the person writing it and they will not all agree.

Make your own mind up using other people views as a guide not gospel.

Don't forget you will also need lenses, cards a bag and anything else that will strip your account.

Oh welcome by the way:)

What about a pentax Pentax K200D Silver + 18-250 ED AL 10mp built in lens stabalisation dust reduction and weather proof from London camera exchange thet are doing them in silver for £649, play with that for a while and maybee save your other £350 for another lens later on sorted.

The initial thoughts are the Nikon D90 with the kit lens or perhaps with a 17-55mm f2.8 zoom lens (bit more than the budget I know) or should I stretch to a D300?

As you may have seen from another thread - the D300 isn't really an entry level camera as it doesn't have scene settings (portrait, landscape, sports etc), which aren't essential for beginners but probably would help a lot as you went through the inevitable learning curve. A D80 or D90 would probably suit you fine. But I'd really recommend heading down to your local camera shop and holding cameras in your hands - how it feels really matters.

i only know nikon sorry.

but dont think about getting the d300,this camera isnt meant for the dslr beiginers. and doesnt have any type of auto modes and is a complicated camera.

i started with a D80 and this done me very well for 2 years , its 1 step up from your entry level stuff and the quality is really good.

plus you can pick them up very cheap these days.

if you looking canon maybe try out the 400d.

but you really need to get to a shop and have a feel to see whats more comfortable.

but dont think about getting the d300,this camera isnt meant for the dslr beiginers. and doesnt have any type of auto modes and is a complicated camera.

Sorry, that's BS*, It's not meant for anyone, If OP has the Testicular fortitude to buy a semi pro camera straight off, then he will inevitably struggle a bit, but if he gets a copy of Understanding Exposure, Reads the manual cover to cover a couple of times, and tries hard, the D300 will make him improve much faster precisely because it doesn't have auto this and scene mode that.

* Look here and here

Well I'll throw my penny's worth in to this thread, although if you did a search they are many post asking the same question. As you have no brand loyality, the best advice to go to your local camera shop and try out a few camera bodies. Try out Pentax, Canon, Sony, Nikon. Personally I would go with Nikon or Canon because you have a vast selection of lenses compared with the other brands....more choice.

What you have to bare in mind when your purchasing a brand is also whats available, you given a wide selection of subjects that you want to photography varying from wide angle to fast zoom/prime lenses. You won't be able to buy everything for your budget, so look at a body and decent walkaround lens.

Personally I would steer clear of the semi pro camera's and concentrate on a good beginner body and a decent lens. The reason, they're definitely easier to use (the auto modes will give you some idea of how to set up the camera for when you want to experiment with TV/AV/M etc reading books is OK, but practical experience is always better)

Instead of blowing your entire budget on a body like the D300, you can have a body and decent lens for the same price.

Recommendations from main 2 Brands, but best advice is try them out!!!!!!

Nikon D80, Its still a great camera (rather than the D40/50/60 series, the camera body does have autofocus built in to it, it's in the lens, so you abit limited on a wider selection of lens choice).

Canon 450D or 30D/40D are also good offerings from canon, and all the canon EF lenses work with these camera's, plus the dedicated EF-S lenses for the smaller sensors.

Peter

With a dSLR you are not buying a camera but buying into a system as you will inevitably gather more than one lens and possibly other accessories. If not then you do not need a dSLR.

Therefore think ahead and think about second hand prices. I am a canon user and I have bought most of my lenses second hand saving quite a bit.

I'm most grateful for the advice so far and it seems opinion is divided on whether a mid level camera (D80, EOS400) would be more suitable or a D300. I guess the next thing is to visit a store and compare the various cameras in the flesh. My only concern is that I'm a bit of a cynic and sometimes feel that sales advice is based on the item with the biggest margin or price tag. Hence why I appreciate all the independent advice. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who went straight into DSLR as a novice and bought a prosumer rather than a consumer product (see I've learnt something already!!) to see what there experience was.

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

could be me - went from £125 bridge camera (fuji 6500) to canon SLR (35mm) for £100 to see how I got on, then to the 5D which in comparison to the others I had is big and quite heavy. "Can't understand why you've got that" was the comment from The Boss, how now uses it in preference to her whizzy IXUS...

Then again it does get the occasional shot like this:
http://sittingbourne.homeserver.com/downloads/Photos/TP_Shared/IMG_1317_edited-2.jpg

Sorry, that's BS*, It's not meant for anyone, If OP has the Testicular fortitude to buy a semi pro camera straight off, then he will inevitably struggle a bit, but if he gets a copy of Understanding Exposure, Reads the manual cover to cover a couple of times, and tries hard, the D300 will make him improve much faster precisely because it doesn't have auto this and scene mode that.

* Look here and here

ok so you contradicted yourself there then.

by the time youve read "understanding exposure" a few times cover to cover in sure you would know how a camera works, unlike most people who have to be told that you have to look through the view finder to compose your shot as apossed to staring at the back panel.

tbh the d80 was my first Dslr and it had always been in aperture priority, i never used any of the auto modes. so yeah, not all beginers need auto modes

BTW is the 5D 'pro-sumer'??? I've no idea!

Its a very well thought of camera, You could even call it pro. It's poor ergonomics and high weight have made it preferred for semi-static duties like weddings landscapes and studio, which is also where its high resolution FF sensor is best suited. I know a couple of pro (as in earn their living from toging) togs who use one.

From what you wrote at the beginning, you read a lot, so picking up how a camera works will be easy. The shops, for obvious reasons, would like you to buy the D90, then upgrade in 12 months ad infinitum....at some eventual cost.
Go straight to the top of the tree and you won't need to upgrade camera bodies again. The D300 is a dream to use, it really is state of the art, it took me 3 or 4 evenings slowly going through the instruction manual, setting up the camera. I use this camera for much of what you comment on at the top. I am fortunate enough to also use a Canon 5D, full frame, very very very high quality images - but slower to use. This is coming down in price with the advent of the 5D Mark 11.
If I could start over again, I would choose both of these again.
All I have written applies only if you are serious about photography, little point buying a £1000 camera if you take it out twice a year.

Listened to all the advice and after holding a few different camera bodies decided to go for the Canon 40D with the 17-85mm kit lens just to get started. Thought this would offer the best compromise as there were some good deals around on the 40D.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Back