Advice on car show togging!

MG TF 135

no chance of a new name
Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks. I'm going to the MPH 07 show at Earls Court in Nov and i really want to get some good shots of the cars there. I have never done this sort of photography before so i'm looking for a little advice.

What sort of angles should i be looking for when shooting cars.

Usual lighting conditions?? and how to deal with this.

General attitude to photographers at these shows?

Thanks for your help guys.

Ive done several car shows and find the crowds the hardest thing to deal with, unless of course your going on press/trade day...

As for angles, I always tend to get low and use the widest angle I can find (mainly due to having to get very close due to the crowd problem)

Lighting is a toughie, Using a CPL filter can help to reduce unwanted reflections, there isnt a great deal you can do about lighting otherwise, besides using a nice fast lens, I found the nifty fifty f1.8 to be of great benefit in lowlit rooms/exhibitions. A flash can be helpful in certain circumstances, but, it its not easy to control the reflections/glare it can cause.

For the crowd problems I have developed an interesting method, but, it isnt all that ethical... I took my 5D+50mmf1.8(for shots) and 1dmkII+70-200f2.8IS+580EX(for show), this gave the impression that im some kind of Pro and people tend to make a hole for me to shot thru and get to the front of a huddle...

Did a photo shoot of a car launch recently. Would totally agree with Dreeder, especially re crowds. Hopefully display lighting will be good. If not low aperture is the way to go. Also low angles/shooting down the length of the car give the pics a bit of life. Also look for cool features: alloys, radiator grids etc. Reflections can be a nightmare, but take your time, don't be intimidated. Maybe even see if a local car dealer would let you get a bit of practice in before hand. hope it helps.

Having been to a MPH show before, and if its at the same venue, your going to have serious problems with the crowd. Cars are packed tightly in with an insane amount of people. The lighting is terrible, even at f/2.8 you will be using 1600iso +.

Good advice above though, stay low and close, and good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Been looking at a few web sites of car photo's trying to get some composition ideas too.

One more question, particularly aimed at Alex as he has been to MPH before.

Will i have any issues getting in with a DSLR and a couple of small lenses?? I'm going with my missus, my best mate and his wife. Last thing i want is the 'can't bring that in here' scene.

I didn't have my DSLR when i went, but i was using a P&S without any problems. Basically every person had a camera and was taking photos, i can't imagine it would be a problem. We were not searched or anything when we came in, but this was before 7/7 so that might of changed now. I highly doubt you will have a problem, isn't that the whole point of a car show anyway? For the public to come and take photographs of all the new cars and to show their friends? :p

The general public are the best type of advertising :)

For the crowd problems I have developed an interesting method, but, it isnt all that ethical... I took my 5D+50mmf1.8(for shots) and 1dmkII+70-200f2.8IS+580EX(for show), this gave the impression that im some kind of Pro and people tend to make a hole for me to shot thru and get to the front of a huddle...

Fantastic technique! I use it all the time.

Best advice I can give really for a car show is to make sure you do have a variety of lenses ranging from 10mm (if you need to get close preferably 1.4-2.8) and like DreederUK suggested a 70-200 2.8. A flash gun is a must especially. Also I say shoot in RAW never JPEG as you can worry about the shots when you get home and you dont need to waste time getting the perfect combination. As for the attitude it tends to be if you have a big camera and a long lens you are like moses and the seas will part for you.

-Xclam

Been for the last few years on Friday Afternoon to Earls Court, if you get there early enough - just after lunch, then there's far fewer people around, but lighting is difficult, it's very dark especially on the upper floors (where the Orange Koenigsegg was last year)

1. Go low and wide if you can.
2. Get there early/late to avoid crowds
3. Take a macro lens so that if you cannot get any general shots thanks to crowds, you can get some nice abstracts and detail shots
4. Take a flash, but bounce it - cars are hard to shoot as they are so shiny, you'll want to be weary of creating 'hot spots' where light is reflecting off the bodywork, so if using a flash, try and bounce it
5. Up the ISO a touch to help with the general low light
6. Retain a sense of humour

Number 6 is the hardest ;) Good luck!

Cheers,
James

Back