Beginner Advice on copyright for non league photos

Edit My Images
No
I have covered a couple of non league matches at the close of last season and a couple of friendlies this summer for a local club. I am still learning/developing my skills and in return of allowing me access pitch side, i have provided photos to the club.

Rightly or wrongly i have not stipulated any copyright restrictions to the contact i have but i have put a generic statement in the iptc/exif data. I am happy for the club to post on their social media sites (at this early stage) but i am intrigued to get some advice re the local paper.

The local paper runs a online system where the clubs media man writes the report and posts it on the papers website. I have had a number of my photos put in a gallery on match articles but they didn't credit me in the caption.

Do i:-

1 - demand credit be put in the captions
2 - ask for payment from the paper - as i let the club use in social media but technically not the paper (gets tricky as the club write the report for the paper)
3 - both the above
4 - let it go

advice welcomed

PS. apologies if there is a forum this would be more suited to.. but as its football photography i thought it best to place here

You haven't limited the club's use of the images (the chance of them reading IPTC is zero) and the club writes and uploads the stories for the local press.

Basically you're screwed.

Sort a proper arrangement out for the new season.

Thanks for honest advice... copyright seems to be a bit of a complex issue.

Re 'proper arrangement' ... do you suggest allowing (charging a fee) the club use for social media and website... then an extra fee (which they will most prob have to pay) for images on local paper website and other media? I can see the issue there... that they won't put any of my photos on paper website and use their c@ppy iPhone pics from the stand instead.

The difficulty is that you have allowed the club to use the images and they, I suspect have interpreted that as permission to pass on to newspapers to promote the club.

Yes the paper should have checked who owned the copyright but they would guess if someone gives them the images to use that they are the owner. The difficulty is that if you approach the paper they will say they were given the images and therefore the club, by giving the images, are partly culpable. But I suspect you don't want to have any friction with the club, therefore as mentioned above, between a rock and a hard place.

The difficulty is that you have allowed the club to use the images and they, I suspect have interpreted that as permission to pass on to newspapers to promote the club.

Yes the paper should have checked who owned the copyright but they would guess if someone gives them the images to use that they are the owner. The difficulty is that if you approach the paper they will say they were given the images and therefore the club, by giving the images, are partly culpable. But I suspect you don't want to have any friction with the club, therefore as mentioned above, between a rock and a hard place.

The club is wholly culpable. They are writing, uploading and publishing the content. There's no editorial oversite from the 'paper'. That's how Local World works.

The club is wholly culpable. They are writing, uploading and publishing the content. There's no editorial oversite from the 'paper'. That's how Local World works.

They are not publishing the content, the paper as owners of the site are allowing publication. They would, unless moderated / edited or as terms and conditions expressly stated the writer is wholly responsible, prior to post, be somewhat liable as they have provided the platform. It's the same with forums run by corporations, they are partially liable for defamatory remarks made by posters.

They are not publishing the content, the paper as owners of the site are allowing publication. They would, unless moderated / edited or as terms and conditions expressly stated the writer is wholly responsible, prior to post, be somewhat liable as they have provided the platform.

Read the T&Cs of Local World. It's user generated publishing.

It's the same with forums run by corporations, they are partially liable for defamatory remarks made by posters.

Not if there's a disclaimer and there is no moderation.

Thanks for your views... I think I need to draw a line under this occasion and say it was my bad (obviously not legally but through not setting out clearly what I expect and what they can do). Money wise is not the be all or end all at this stage (I am starting out and the club are helping wth access to the pitch side) but not even crediting me on the local paper site was more gutting.

Going forward I will try and sit down sort out arrangements with the club.

Thanks again for your advice... and sorry for opening the copyright debate!

Back