Advice on Dates on Unused Film

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I don't know much about film photography so please excuse my ignorance.

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if the date on a box of film has to be adhered to or not?

The film in question is Kodak Portra 160 VC and the date on the boxes is 07/2009.

Any help in this matter much appreciated.

Thanks
Alison :)

It all depends on how the film has been stored. If hasn't been exposed to extremes in temperature than the film should be fine. The expiry date is a a "best before" rather than the film dies after this date.

You should be fine for 6-9 months after this provided you keep the film cool and dry

i'm using film that expired in 2005 with no problems i can see, it's been kept in a fridge and it's now in a fridge stored, waiting to be used.

you can usually get expired film cheaper, i always try pick it up, if it gives weird results then even better! ;)

Heat and humidity are the biggest concerns with film. If it has been kept in a cool place, then you'll have no problems. You can even store film in a fridge where it will keep for longer.

It all depends on how the film has been stored. If hasn't been exposed to extremes in temperature than the film should be fine. The expiry date is a a "best before" rather than the film dies after this date.

You should be fine for 6-9 months after this provided you keep the film cool and dry

i'm using film that expired in 2005 with no problems i can see, it's been kept in a fridge and it's now in a fridge stored, waiting to be used.

you can usually get expired film cheaper, i always try pick it up, if it gives weird results then even better! ;)

Heat and humidity are the biggest concerns with film. If it has been kept in a cool place, then you'll have no problems. You can even store film in a fridge where it will keep for longer.

Thanks everyone, someone has given me 2 boxes of these films (about 190 rolls in total) so I'll go off to the For Sale section and see if anyone is interested in them.

Thank you

Alison :)

Back