Advice on flash.

I wish I had come across this forum a few days ago, I'd have sent you to the post I wrote about the lighting kit I use http://slrcoaching.com/?p=476. I currently have 2 Yongnuo 560II's and have use them, or other models before them, professionally for about 5 years. If you're talking about photographing your child in a room of your home this set up would be idea, or as you already have a flash and triggers just get yourself a stand, bracket and umbrella for about £30 total.

Put your light on a stand behind you (about 5') pointing at the ceiling above your head and you'll have consistent light.

I'd recommend starting on 1/4 power at 24mm (or is it 28mm). Then set your camera to a shutter speed of 160th, ISO 400 and the lowest 'f' number your lens will go to.
Take a shot... how does it look?
Too bright? You can lower the ISO.
Too dark? You can increase the flash to 1/2.
If still too dark you can increase the ISO or the flash but full flash will be slower to recycle and may appear too harsh.

Alternatively try bouncing the light off a wall, or at least from a slight angle behind you.

The main benefit of lighting like this is that you don't have to think about the cameras settings once you've initially set up the camera and flash in manual mode.

I hope this helps and would love to hear how you get on.

You're welcome, please let me know how you get on and don't get discouraged if it doesnt go how you think, it's like everything, it tskes practice ;-)

For some great advice on using flashes, do a youtube/google search for;

Joe McNally
David Hobby (Strobist)
Lightenupandshoot.

I have just invested in the Yongnuo flashes and triggers and used them at an engagement event weekend gone and i am well impressed with them. I have a couple of nikon flashes and pocket wizards so wanted a back up and the Yongnuo are way cheaper.
As above, jump onto Youtube as i found seeing it in action rather than reading up on it was the way forward. Have fun.

Back