Advice on Infrared Conversion

cannockwolf

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I have just got a D200 converted to IR using a lifepixel 830mn filter, i played with the camera for the first time today in my back garden, not much sunlight but when it did shine i took these shots, the first with a nikon 18-35mm with pp work done

18-35mm.jpg

needless to say i was very happy with the results it came out of the camera as bw after a pre wb.

then i tried my Tamron 28-300mm and Siggy 10-20mm and it looked rubbish, this is the siggy shot with pp work done

10-20mm.jpg

the Tamron is worse, it looks like the effect you can get using filters, changing aperture settings doesnt help in fact i think it gets worse the smaller the aperture.

So Im a bit confused as why the 50mm 1.4, and the 18-35mm are brilliant and these two rubbish, is there anything i can do?

BTW the lenses work without any problems on my D700 and my D70 with a 720mn IR filter.

The lenses were built primarily for visible light -- many lenses that perform well with visible light have ghosting and hot spots when used for IR.

Just try the lenses you have and stick with the ones that work.

Looks like the conversion went well :)

well thats a bit cr@p i bought the siggy just for this camera, so i need to try the tamron 11-16mm or the nikon 10-24mm / 12-24 to get uwa shots then :(

Seen one or two reports of success with the 12-24 on D70 bodies but most reports seem to say avoid this lens for IR.

Not heard good or bad on the others.

on my d70 with a 720mn filter all the lenses work great but the 830mn filter in the d200 is proving picky, looks like im going to have to track down people with these lenses so i can test em first, the nikon 10-24mm sounds good but it isnt cheap for a plastic lens!

Back