Advice on Lens for Astrophotography

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
OK. Having seen and photographed the northern lights this week, I've a bit of a hankering to try out astro photography. My kit at the moment includes

Nikon 16-35 F4
Sigma 24-105 F4 Art

I think these are probably a bit on the slow side for astro so I'm looking for advice on what to go for on Nikon FF to add to my kit

The Nikon 14-24 2.8 is a bit rich for my tastes even used at this point but if it's the one to get then I'll save the pennies. That puts the Zeis lot in the distance also I think
Samyang 14mm 2.8- is it considered to wide- does the fixed wide focal length cause any issues with nice composition?
Are th sigma 20/24mm 1.4's used much for astro
Anyone using an irix 15mm 2.4?

Any other advice. I don't have a specific budget in mind but £1k used for the nikon makes me pause but I would if I thought it was best bang for buck- might just take ame a bit longer to drag my wallet out of my pocket.

General guidance on good starting lens for astro is the main thing.

I've got tripod, cable release, hat, gloves, scarf, wooly socks, warm boots, waterproof jacket, headtorch and flask already :)

I've got the Samyang 14mm, great for Astro. Shot this during the last Perseid shower (cropped at the bottom slightly);

Perseid meteor shower 12th Aug 16 by -Odd Jim-

I think it's harder to find a better fast UWA for less than £300 [emoji3]

However, another very good option might be the Sigma 20mm f/1.4. You can pick these up for just over £600.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks as fas as focal length for Astro photography. IMHO it's very hard to beat the Samyang 14mm in terms of bang for buck but then I like to get as much of the sky in as possible. It's very sharp. It's a bit hit and miss where infinity focus is on them, mine isn't at the infinity mark. You can adjust them but once you find where the infinity focus is you're good to go.

On a Canon it's fully manumatic but the Nikon version gives you exposure comms.

Alternatively - putting a different slant on things. Why not tackle the the long exposure problem introduced with slower (good quality) lenses from another angle?

Sky Tracker
- other options are available :)

Alternatively - putting a different slant on things. Why not tackle the the long exposure problem introduced with slower (good quality) lenses from another angle?

Sky Tracker

I'm guessing the issue of star trails (keeping it below 30 secs).

I'm not sure who many angles you can try with Astro (other than foreground issues) or how it might help with the light?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the issue of star trails (keeping it below 30 secs).

I'm not sure who many angles you can try with Astro (other than foreground issues) or how it might help with the light?

Yeah.... I've found that 30 secs without a tracking mount is about the limit (depends on focal length of course). Having a tracking mount imposes it's own problems not least of which are any foreground subjects which now have motion blur..... two images merged fixes that - one tracked the other not.

I've found with the iOptron, once you get it set properly/accurately (Northern Hemisphere) on the Pole Star, really long exposures are possible....

This is not my image but one (Paul Schulin) that is posted from the WEX article and is a single 10 minute exposure f11 on a 50mm mounted on a D800E

Orion-Paul-Shulin-SkyTracker-Image-DSLR-2000w.jpg

I use the Tamron 14mm f/2.8 on my Nikon FF bodies for stars. Less (or at least less obvious/weird) distortion than the Samyang and is AF and auto aperture (the Samyang is completely manual on Canon and MF on Nikon, with auto aperture. However, since even I use manual for star shots, the lack of automation isn't a problem in this situation but might be limiting in "normal" use.) Tried some Milky Way shots using the Fuji X-T1 and 18mm f/2 but feel it isn't wide enough and the 10-24 isn't fast enough. I should say that I've also used a Sigma 8mm fisheye for Aurora shots to good effect and will probably have a play with that for MW shots next time I'm in my favoured location for that.

I think it's harder to find a better fast UWA for less than £300
emoji3.png

Thanks

Why not tackle the the long exposure problem introduced with slower (good quality) lenses from another angle?

Sky Tracker

My main concern is that I like to try to capture a bit of foreground interest if possible. I see your later post regarding that and blending two images. I would probably prefer to try to get into astro at a starter level with kit I could use on other projects in the first instance than go straight to a tracker. If I catch the bug properly then I could see that being on the list though.

I use the Tamron 14mm f/2.8 on my Nikon FF bodies for stars.

Had a look to see this but struggling to find it new or used.

After I posted this originally I came across a tamron 15-30 2.8. Dotted back and forward between the Samyang and the tamron but going to hit the button on the samyang and then see how I get into it. The 15-30 just too close to the 16-35 I already have. Thought about trading in but there's no filter thread on the 15-30 and I like to do more than night time work.

I can see some of the really fast primes going on the santa list.

Thanks for the comments.

I use the Tamron 14mm f/2.8 on my Nikon FF bodies for stars. Less (or at least less obvious/weird) distortion than the Samyang and is AF and auto aperture (the Samyang is completely manual on Canon and MF on Nikon, with auto aperture. However, since even I use manual for star shots, the lack of automation isn't a problem in this situation but might be limiting in "normal" use.) Tried some Milky Way shots using the Fuji X-T1 and 18mm f/2 but feel it isn't wide enough and the 10-24 isn't fast enough. I should say that I've also used a Sigma 8mm fisheye for Aurora shots to good effect and will probably have a play with that for MW shots next time I'm in my favoured location for that.

It's worth noting there are actually two versions of the Samyang 14mm for Nikon, the one that has a chip and reports back to the camera is labelled the AE version.

There are other lens options, Have you looked at the "loawa" set they are completely manual and there is a new one coming out in about a month, its got near zero distortion and its a 12mm f/2.8, they do other lens also.
Heres a link http://www.venuslens.net

There are other lens options, Have you looked at the "loawa" set they are completely manual and there is a new one coming out in about a month, its got near zero distortion and its a 12mm f/2.8, they do other lens also.
Heres a link http://www.venuslens.net

Just had a look and it appears promising although not a clear date on when it will ship

Just had a look and it appears promising although not a clear date on when it will ship
They start shipment in November (after Kickstarter fulfilment is completed)

Had a look to see this but struggling to find it new or used.

TBH, I hadn't come across it either until I was looking for a fast and wide prime for last year's Iceland TP trip and was searching for a cheap Samyang! Couldn't find a Samyang but a mate pointed me to a Tamron that Ffordes had just taken in and I snapped it up. I think there might be a Sigma version as well but again, probably not a common find on second hand shelves.

Sigma 20 1.4 art, went out with mine last night for astro tests, the 35 1.4 is marginally better but the 20 is a better field of view for this sort of thing more of the time.

Pin sharp no coma or vignetting by f2.8 was getting 15-20 secs exposures without trailing.

Back