Advice on ND filters for Landscape Photography

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon everyone.

Looking for some advice on ND filter for Landscape photography.

I'm heading to Canada in September so want to get some ND filters for the lakes, waterfalls etc.

I currently have a CPL filter and a Lee filter holder system with the 100mm Formatt Hitech 10 stop filter (not the Firecrest version, the one before).

I feel I need some ND filter options below the 10 stop one so wondering what you all use the most. Is it better to get a 2 stop and a 4 stop to double stack them for a 6 stop?

Which make would you go for aswell. Would like to stick with the 100mm filter system rather than screw in as well.

Thanks in advance.

I think I’d be inclined to go for a 3 and a 6 stop if you’re considering the purchase of 2 filters. I don’t find a 2 stop worthwhile, but that’s just my personal opinion and I’m sure there will be plenty of folks here to disagree with me :)
If you use Photoshop or similar, then 2 stops is easy to simulate by taking 4 shots in quick succession and blending them together. Use continuous shooting mode, if you have it, and just press the shutter release for a second or so, it will give exactly the same result as using a 2 stop filter, e.g. with an initial reading of 1 sec, adding a 2 stop gives 4 secs which is the same as 4x1 sec, they just need to be taken quickly.
As for makes, Nisi are popular, as are HiTech and Lee of course, but I’ve been looking at Kase Wolverine filters. They are scratch resistant, pretty tough and water apparently wipes off easily, without smearing. The drawback, for Lee holders users is that they need Kase spacers to replace the Lee ones as the filters are slightly thinner.

Awesome. Thank you.

6 stop is looking like the way to go.

Those Kase filters do look really good. Didn't realise about the spacers being needed so that's handy to know.

I find a 3 stop filter really useful. I think 2 stops and less can often be achieved by messing with aperture or allowing a little over exposure so I never bothered with anything less. Depending on the light I often find 3 stops (in the uk at least) is really nice for getting into the 1/10-1s type of range where you can show movement without losing shape.

I just have a 3 and the 10 stop.... you can use the polariser + 3stop to get 5 stops and don't forget you can use the Iso a little if you find 10 stops too strong, a couple of extra stops of iso isn't going to produce any noticeable noise on modern cameras

Simon

Back