Advice on new printer

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm looking for a new printer, Iv look at canon, HP, Epson, tried to compatible on these and the inks for all and it comes down to ,which one works best for fellow talk photo graphers and best results

I have and love my Epson SC-P600 A3+ printer. Prints are fantastic. I use Marrutt Inks which are much cheaper and even though I only print 1 or 2 prints a month, touchwood, so far I've never had a problem if drying inks or head clogging.

Hi just looked in pc world for that one, could not see that one but they did have a xp 900 A3 Wich looking okay unless any one thinks different?

Probably a totally daft question but can you print smaller than a3 on this pinter? usually print a4 but like the look of this.

Probably a totally daft question but can you print smaller than a3 on this pinter? usually print a4 but like the look of this.
You can print off various sizes, info below taken from Epson website.for SC-P600

Paper Formats

A3+, A3, A4, A5, Letter, Letter Legal, Postcard, 9 x 13 cm, 10 x 15 cm, 13 x 18 cm, 13 x 20 cm, 20 x 25 cm, 100 x 148 mm, User defined

Yep, pretty much any size you like. It also takes a roll for panos.

If you go for this printer, then I highly recommend one of the ink systems by Marrutt.

Either Refills or CIS

http://www.marrutt.com/find-my-prin...0-printer/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-printer-ink

The ink is great, no difference in prints between Epson and the Marrutt ink and a fraction of the price.
I also use Marrutt paper to ensure the best compatibility.

Last edited:
I have a sort of love / hate relationship with my Epson R2880. I love the print quality but I hate the dark print issue and the constant attention it needs. Apologies for the following sexist comments... my Epson is like a supermodel... high maintenance and likely to irritate and annoy me but sometimes it's just great.

I've read that Canon printers are good and less hassle.

You can print off various sizes, info below taken from Epson website.for SC-P600

Paper Formats

A3+, A3, A4, A5, Letter, Letter Legal, Postcard, 9 x 13 cm, 10 x 15 cm, 13 x 18 cm, 13 x 20 cm, 20 x 25 cm, 100 x 148 mm, User defined

I've printed eveything from A3 to postage stamp sized but only on A3 or A4 paper :D

I have a sort of love / hate relationship with my Epson R2880. I love the print quality but I hate the dark print issue and the constant attention it needs. Apologies for the following sexist comments... my Epson is like a supermodel... high maintenance and likely to irritate and annoy me but sometimes it's just great.

I've read that Canon printers are good and less hassle.

I've had cheaper epson printers before and they ended up in the bin because of clogged heads etc. I also read a lot about Canons being less of an issue and the heads can be replaced, unlike Epson. However,
I also read a lot about the new Epson SC-P600/800 and how they had re-designed the inks and how clogging is less of an issue with the new printers.

I can honestly say my printer sits here (closed and off) most of the time and prints an image every month or so and I've never had a clogged head or had to run a clean.
I do, every now and then, if I remember stick a plain bit of A4 paper in and run a nozzle check if the printer hasn't been used for a while. This just uses a tiny bit of ink to print the nozzle test lines. I figure this is enough to ensure any drying ink is pushed through and if it's been more than a month I may run a quick 6x4 through the printer.

I also rarely print but mostly manage a print a week or so... I've had a couple of clogging issues but all have been fixed by just using the printers cleaning / nozzle work out cycle thingy. The latest trouble is that I have to reseat the ink cartridges before I print otherwise the colours are way off. I tend to do a little thumbnail print first now just to check that everything is ok before going on.

I can't remember how much my R2880 was but maybe it's mid level price and quality?

I can't remember how much my R2880 was but maybe it's mid level price and quality?
In their day they were the top line range of desktop printers Epson did, not cheap by any means. I still use my R2000 - produces wonderful images and whilst it is getting on a bit I hope it keeps going for a few more years!! Not looked recently but Epson usually have better paper handling options than Canon, but in terms of output, both are superb.

I can only speak about Epson because I've used them for about 18 years, currently have an sc800 but all SC models are brilliant, no more head problems (at last ) but also only use Epson inks. As long as you arent wasting prints they arent expensive and fade resistance is great.

Hi, Use an Epson R1900 but if you intend to use 3rd party inks on a new printer check first that it is possible, many new printer carts cannot be chipped by 3rd party companies.
Russ

Epson SC P600 here, fantastic printer, amazing quality prints. Using Fotospeed ink and paper here, no clogging issues what so ever.

Just bought myself a canon selphy cp1200.

Excellent quality for the money, and perfect for credit card sized prints or 6x4s.

Its brilliant thing as it uses dye sublimation technology, thus meaning you known how many prints you can get for your ink as it comes in a film cartridge.

Ink and paper for 108 prints cost about £30, so about 30p a print and is brilliant for the money.

If you've got any questions drop me a line :)

George

Have to say i've been tempted by the p600.
Have any of you owners used thicker card stock?
I've read it can go up to 1.5mm thick but no-one i have asked has used thick card like that in one

Back