Beginner Advice on Next Filters

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks, I picked up a couple of Lee filters a while ago for landscape photography - a 0.6 ND grad, a BS () and the circular polariser. I was thinking of getting one or two more before a trip to Switzerland in August, but I'm not entirely sure which one(s) to go for. The BS was great for really slowing things down, but I'd like an intermediate level filter where I can slow water down to 0.5-2 s

Get a long exposure app and have a play with different settings and ND filter strengths to see what’s best for you.

It all depends on the time of day you will be shooting at. At 1/4 sec a 3 stop ND filter would give you 2 seconds. When the light is stronger,say 1/50 sec, the same filter would only give you 1/6 sec.

I would probably suggest a 6 stop little stopper or a 3 stop ND. In the past I have raised ISO to counteract a stronger ND filter if I didn’t have a weaker ND filter. You only need to raise iso from 100 to 400 to effectively make a 6 stop filter a 4 stop filter. It does depend on if you are happy with slightly higher ISO or otherwise want ultimate quality.

Is the grad hard or soft? If hard, then it can double up as a full nd filter, I do that with my 3 stop all the time. Just push it further down in the holder.
It's hard, I'll have to check whether I can use it to cover the whole image.

You could go for the Lee Little Stopper
"LEE Filters introduces the Big Stoppers younger sibling perfect for your long-exposure photography. With the popularity of long-exposure photography showing no sign of waning, the LEE Filters Little Stopper increases the scope of the medium and allows you to further push the boundaries of your creative photography. At six stops, the Little Stopper is ideal for those low-light conditions at the beginning and end of the day (when the Big Stoppers ten stops may prove too much), allowing you to enjoy increased flexibility with exposure lengths. "

How about a ND Grad filter ? If your going to shoot mountains then a soft grad would be great but if your shooting flat seascapes where the horizon has nothing on then a hard grad is well worth having. 0.6 is ideal if shooing with side light but 0.9 is better if shooting into direct light

I think Rob and Mike are right, a Little Stopper would be useful for what you want to achieve. With the 3 stop hard ND, Little Stopper and Big Stopper you’ll have a good range to work with. Don’t forget the CPL will also reduce the light entering the lens by 1 or 2 stops too.

Back