Advice on people pictures please

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to get better, more well framed pictures of people, as I have a few more club bookings in Sept, and a birthday party... Every time I think I'm getting the hang of it I get rubbish again lol.

Please have a look at the pictures below and tell me where I'm going wrong.

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

the only thing I could suggest is a higher angle of shot, so the subject/s are looking up at you. Always focus on the eyes :) sucking eggs? sorry doh!!

Do you use any kind of diffuser on the flashgun - like a sto-fen or similar?

And have you tried just shooting in manual at f8 and 1/200th and let the flashgun take care of the exposure? You seem to be using Program mode which will expose for the available light if there is any and add fill flash - which is OK where you want the background but gives you some slow shutter speeds.

Thanks for that.. am struggling knowing which angle is best for some shots.. as when you're in a tiny DJ box its hard to get round the front of the DJ. I need a box to stand on so I can shoot from the dancefloor lol.

Robert: I have a diffuser thing on the flashgun.. Well it's a piece of plastic that folds down over the flash. I didn't use my flashgun for these shots, it was all using the built in flash (apart from possibly #3, I was a little bit tipsy at that point so not 100%)

The fold down diffusers are not as good as the sto-fen. Onboard flash is always going to give that 'snaps' look. How do you focus with the onboard flash? You must be blasting people with pulses of flash as the camera focuses... which is bound to put them off!

No it doesn't blast them at all.. well, no-one has said anything anyway! I usually focus, and then the flash pops up and takes the picture.

That fold down thing on your flash probably isn't a diffuser as such but wide angle adaptor. It will have a slight diffusing effect but not much.

The 1st shot isn't bad but you either need to step back or go wider so you can see the decks more.

The 2nd is pretty good but I think it needs a slower shutter speed to let the ambient light in and give it some more colour.

The 3rd has a distracting background, would have looked better shot elsewhere, perhaps on stairs or something.

Are you using a cable to attach the flash gun to the camera?

Back