Beginner Advice on photography at night.

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I am looking for advice in capturing images of buildings at night , I am new to photography and am using a Nikon D90 and a sigma 17-70 lens.
I am interested in what is the best setting to take buildings that are part lit by street light and lots of shadows.
I have tried and have achieved mixed results.
I have a uv filter on for sun light but what is used at night.
Any advice or links would be great . off to You tube for a look now ..
thanks in advance

tripod and long exposure also shutter release
use full manual and experiment with settings

A sturdy tripod and a long exposure are best as holty said. Remember to set the white balance for the scene. I would set your ISO to something reasonably high such as 1600.

If you're not doing shoot in RAW or RAW & JPEG so that you can edit them easily afterwards. I use UFRaw to edit RAW images and convert them which is free and relativity easy to figure out but if you have some other software that you can use then use that.

This sheet should be quite useful to you :D

exposure-cheat-sheet.jpg

as mentioned above, a sturdy tripod and shutter release will help immensely

Have a go at metering exposure for the brightest lights in the frame, if you use aperture priority then your shutter speed will be selected from this information, also try to have a low iso if you can

A sturdy tripod and a long exposure are best as holty said. Remember to set the white balance for the scene. I would set your ISO to something reasonably high such as 1600.

If you are using a tripod there is no need to have the ISO set to anything other than its lowest setting unless you need a fast enough shutter speed to freeze, or at least, have less blur, on something that is moving. The higher the ISO, the more chance of 'noise' appearing.

To the OP, you may struggle with bright lights and very dark shadows depending on the building because the camera can't record all the range of tones in the scene. Shooting RAW will give more data to edit with, if you know how to, and have the software to edit RAW files. However, when shooting you could also bracket the scene, taking multiple images at slightly different exposures, in the hope that one version will give the best overall exposure.

Take off any filter you have on unless it is for an effect, as bright points of light at night can cause flaring and ghosting with filters attached.

If you are taking a picture of a building straight on, with little depth in the scene, use the sharpest apertures of your lens, normally 2-3 Stops up from the widest aperture of your lens, normally f8-f11.

The smaller the aperture you use, the more of the star effect you may see on small points of light. I don't like the effect and try not to go beyond f8 for most of my night pics.

If you have a remote control, use that. If not, use the cameras timer to minimise the risk of camera shake from pressing the Shutter.

If you're not doing shoot in RAW or RAW & JPEG so that you can edit them easily afterwards. I use UFRaw to edit RAW images and convert them which is free and relativity easy to figure out but if you have some other software that you can use then use that.

This sheet should be quite useful to you :D

exposure-cheat-sheet.jpg

I concur with the above post.

A useful sheet if your handholding but if your using a tripod fold this up and put it away in your bag.

100 ISO will keep the noise down and provide maximum quality. Probably best to shoot on Manual using 'Bulb' so a remote cable release is vital for exposures typically anywhere between 20 - 45 seconds.

A small aperture around f/11 - f/16 provides a good depth of field to assist bring the fore, middle and background in focus.

It's a good idea to shoot in RAW and it will give you more control over the highlights and shadows. In addition, you can change the colour temperature to match the lighting.

The best time to grab these shots is just after the sun has gone down while there is still a bit of dark blue in the sky and before it turn to an inky blackness. Good luck and let us know how you got on.

No one can tell you the setting without metering the available light. You will need a tripod to get a good night shot or without you could take the other advise and crank up the iso for a horribly noisy shot that will just look bad. Taking a night shot is just a longer day shot for the most part. You expose for the light and shoot keeping the vibrations down to prevent blurring. My suggestion to you is to study exposure so that you will understand how to gather light for a proper exposure. Here is a good site for learning all kinds of things. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Set your meter/camera to it's highest ISO setting.. take a reading.. then work back using reciprocity.

e.g.

At ISO12,800 you got 1/30th @ f5.6

so...

ISO12,800 = 1/30th
ISO6400 = 1/15th
ISO3200 = 1/8th
ISO1600 = 1/4
ISO800 = 1/2
ISO400 = 1sec
ISO200 = 2 sec
ISO100 = 4 sec

So put it on a tripod... shoot at ISO100 for 4 seconds.

That assumes your metering was correct of course, but you'll be in the ball park.

oh dear ...KISS the rule is 1sec at f8 at 100 iso keep that in your head and work variations of it .

If you move the iso up you will be in hand held bliss

.......if you dont know where to start you will never finish.

Last edited:
oh dear ...KISS the rule is 1sec at f8 at 100 iso keep that in your head and work variations of it .

If you move the iso up you will be in hand held bliss

.......if you dont know where to start you will never finish.

And what rule would this be ?

If you are using a tripod there is no need to have the ISO set to anything other than its lowest setting unless you need a fast enough shutter speed to freeze, or at least, have less blur, on something that is moving. The higher the ISO, the more chance of 'noise' appearing.

To the OP, you may struggle with bright lights and very dark shadows depending on the building because the camera can't record all the range of tones in the scene. Shooting RAW will give more data to edit with, if you know how to, and have the software to edit RAW files. However, when shooting you could also bracket the scene, taking multiple images at slightly different exposures, in the hope that one version will give the best overall exposure.

Take off any filter you have on unless it is for an effect, as bright points of light at night can cause flaring and ghosting with filters attached.

If you are taking a picture of a building straight on, with little depth in the scene, use the sharpest apertures of your lens, normally 2-3 Stops up from the widest aperture of your lens, normally f8-f11.

The smaller the aperture you use, the more of the star effect you may see on small points of light. I don't like the effect and try not to go beyond f8 for most of my night pics.

If you have a remote control, use that. If not, use the cameras timer to minimise the risk of camera shake from pressing the Shutter.
All great advice

2 small extra things that may help block light from entering eyepiece if the Nikon has long exposure noise control activate that in settings

Don't shoot at night !!!

The contrast range is too high when its properly dark in most towns I've shot in, so better to shoot in the 'Blue hour' as its getting dark and lights are coming on (or as its getting lighter in the mornings)

Tripod - yep

ISO - depends on what effect you're after in relation to shutter speed - if you want to 'remove' people then a long shutter speed is needed and hence low ISO (although CS6 has a new feature for Median removal of people which is cool)

f8 ish - yep

Save yourself some money and just use the self timer for a release

Turn off long exposure noise reduction in camera - it wastes time and is best done in such as Lightroom anyway

Take a mate, preferably several - safety in numbers and all that, but its easy to get carried away and not notice that some of your gear has been carried away !!! Last time I shot at Salford a cop came over to warn us about photographers having gear stolen, and there was a report in the press about it in Leeds too

Ditch the filters, you don't need them - ever really

Use Highlight alert (blinkies) to show you if & what's blown and make exposure adjustments based on that

Bracket exposures and use exposure blending or HDR software if the dynamic range is getting too high

Watch out for whose land you're shooting on - we were moved off a hotel's land in Leeds once as they didn't allow photography of their building from their land; so we moved outside of their boundary and carried on shooting it anyway :D

Take a torch and check your front element for dust every time you've moved - you don't want a huge chunk of crap to only be seen when back on the computer !!! (Done that btw lol)

End the night with a beer :)

Have fun

Dave

Last edited:
I always shoot in aperture priority, starting at f11 and ISO 100. Make sure the tripos is sturdy and set a 5 second delay to avoid vibrations.

I'd also turn off any kind of vibration reduction or in-house noise reduction (I doubt the NR built into your D90 is up to much compared to the editing software you use).

Other than that all I would do is play with exposure compensation depending on how light/dark the images are coming out.

This was my first attempt at shooting the blue hour with a tripod.

_APB0090-Edit-2 by Adam Bowery, on Flickr

I always shoot in aperture priority, starting at f11 and ISO 100. Make sure the tripos is sturdy and set a 5 second delay to avoid vibrations.

Lovely shot. I assume that the OP could use a slightly wider aperture than f11 with an APS-C camera, depending upon focal length etc. Personally I'm a believer in using an aperture that's around the sweet spot unless making a specific decision to go wider or smaller for whatever reason and f11 could be unnecessary on APS-C depending upon lens and camera to subject distance etc.

Lovely shot. I assume that the OP could use a slightly wider aperture than f11 with an APS-C camera, depending upon focal length etc. Personally I'm a believer in using an aperture that's around the sweet spot unless making a specific decision to go wider or smaller for whatever reason and f11 could be unnecessary on APS-C depending upon lens and camera to subject distance etc.

To be honest I'm not much of a believer in any specific method. I know there are people who love rationale and reasoning, but I just start somewhere (anywhere) and make changes from there.

Technical stuff , I know :)

To be honest I'm not much of a believer in any specific method. I know there are people who love rationale and reasoning, but I just start somewhere (anywhere) and make changes from there.

Technical stuff , I know :)

Fair enough.

My thinking was that f11 could be chosen for depth of field, length of exposure or image quality reasons and if you switch from a FF camera to APS-C (which the OP appears to use) then the numbers could change depending upon your rationale. Personally I use different settings when switching between my FF A7 and MFT Panasonic cameras (for example if I shoot at f8 with the A7 I may very well change to f4 with MFT) but in reality you may have to look very closely to see any real world differences.

2 small extra things that may help block light from entering eyepiece

If you have a very bright light behind you, it can enter the camera and mess the metering up. I think there the first lot of Canon 5DIIIs were there was also light leaking into the image during long exposures through the viewfinder. :eek: I assume they have fixed that now. ;)

Some top of the range cameras allow for the viewfinder to be closed via a small switch, and some cameras come with an attachment to slide over the viewfinder to block the light. Putting your hand over the viewfinder whilst measuring the scene will show if the ambient light behind the camera is affecting the metering.

if the Nikon has long exposure noise control activate that in settings

I would never put the Long Exposure Noise Reduction on in camera for a couple of reasons, firstly it can slow you down, as on my cameras at least, the camera has to take a 'blank image' for the same time as the original long exposure you have just done to subtract any noise generated by the sensor during the long exposure. So on cold nights it doubles the time to take one picture. And it also runs the batteries down quicker because of that. Secondly, you are better applying any NR in an image by image basis during editing imho, rather than the one setting fits all that may be applied in camera. No need to apply NR if it doesn't need it, and if the camera gets the amount of NR wrong, applying more NR is not the best idea if you can just apply it correctly once.

An extra thing I have just remembered, if you are set up on a scene as the Sun is going down, use Auto WB, as it will change as the Ambient light changes, and take into account the artificial lights as they come on. Once all the light in the sky is gone though, I change to an appropriate WB for the artificial lights in the scene to be consistent. And there is normally ambient light in the sky a bit longer than you might think, as a long exposure can still record light in the sky our eyes can not see. Of course, if you shoot RAW you can change the WB during processing with no degradation to the image, but you should always be trying to get it as good as you can in camera.

A remote control is a very good investment, and you can normally get a basic one for a couple £s for most DSLRs. Some newer cameras can also be controlled by mobile phones/tablets over WiFi, but the camera will run down quicker because the WiFi is using a lot of power, and your phone/tablet is also running down its battery. Something more to worry about when it is very cold, as batteries lose their power so much quicker in the cold.

If a camera as Live View, then you can use it to focus more accurately, if there is enough light, ;) in any part of the scene, rather than just using a focus point, which can be a pita when your camera is on a tripod and the thing you want to focus on is not under a focus point. :rolleyes: It also enables you to easily manual focus when you need to, by using the LV magnified view to more easily check the focus. And indeed with the right camera you may be able to use the touch screen on your phone/tablet to touch to focus, and possibly change camera settings, but with the hit on batteries mentioned above.

If you have a very bright light behind you, it can enter the camera and mess the metering up. I think there the first lot of Canon 5DIIIs were there was also light leaking into the image during long exposures through the viewfinder. :eek: I assume they have fixed that now. ;)

Some top of the range cameras allow for the viewfinder to be closed via a small switch, and some cameras come with an attachment to slide over the viewfinder to block the light. Putting your hand over the viewfinder whilst measuring the scene will show if the ambient light behind the camera is affecting the metering.

I would never put the Long Exposure Noise Reduction on in camera for a couple of reasons, firstly it can slow you down, as on my cameras at least, the camera has to take a 'blank image' for the same time as the original long exposure you have just done to subtract any noise generated by the sensor during the long exposure. So on cold nights it doubles the time to take one picture. And it also runs the batteries down quicker because of that. Secondly, you are better applying any NR in an image by image basis during editing imho, rather than the one setting fits all that may be applied in camera. No need to apply NR if it doesn't need it, and if the camera gets the amount of NR wrong, applying more NR is not the best idea if you can just apply it correctly once.

An extra thing I have just remembered, if you are set up on a scene as the Sun is going down, use Auto WB, as it will change as the Ambient light changes, and take into account the artificial lights as they come on. Once all the light in the sky is gone though, I change to an appropriate WB for the artificial lights in the scene to be consistent. And there is normally ambient light in the sky a bit longer than you might think, as a long exposure can still record light in the sky our eyes can not see. Of course, if you shoot RAW you can change the WB during processing with no degradation to the image, but you should always be trying to get it as good as you can in camera.

A remote control is a very good investment, and you can normally get a basic one for a couple £s for most DSLRs. Some newer cameras can also be controlled by mobile phones/tablets over WiFi, but the camera will run down quicker because the WiFi is using a lot of power, and your phone/tablet is also running down its battery. Something more to worry about when it is very cold, as batteries lose their power so much quicker in the cold.

If a camera as Live View, then you can use it to focus more accurately, if there is enough light, ;) in any part of the scene, rather than just using a focus point, which can be a pita when your camera is on a tripod and the thing you want to focus on is not under a focus point. :rolleyes: It also enables you to easily manual focus when you need to, by using the LV magnified view to more easily check the focus. And indeed with the right camera you may be able to use the touch screen on your phone/tablet to touch to focus, and possibly change camera settings, but with the hit on batteries mentioned above.
Yes I used Canon 4 different models and they all suggested blocking the view finder

In my case I used bulb mode as my exposure was longer than 30 seconds so I also needed a head torch and remote release.

I guess long exposure noise reduction is just choice and your ability with software, I never found waiting a few mins was a problem for me (apart from getting cold)

I would love doing some city night shots but they are not in abundance near me

Hope the op enjoys night shots when he gives it a try

I mentioned earlier in this thread my approach to nighttime photography. Anyway, I thought a picture may help to illustrate this.

Ok for this shot, I used a tripod, set the camera to auto-white balance. I set the aperture to 100 ISO, I really don't like a lot of noise. In any case, when using a tripod you can get away with a low ISO, a small apperture and longer shutter speed.

I acutely took this at f/2.8 (Aperture Priority mode) for the sensor to absorb as much light as possible and let the camera work out the shutter speed of 2 seconds. Fortunately, St Nicholas Church is roughly 1/3 of the way into the which has help achieve a reasonable sharpness throughout (at 24mm) which as a general rule of thumb is a good guesstimate for the optimum hyper-focal distance without using a calculator. That said, I will often shoot at f/8, f/11 and f/16 to maximise the Depth of Field. It just depends on the subject-distance. There is no right-or-wrong, it's what works best for you. I also use the Depth of Field preview button to check the exposure and recently the live view mode, however that can drain the battery(s) quickly particular on very cold nights, it's good to keep a spare on your person keeping warm for that reason.

I also used the mirror lock-up and self timer to illuminate camera shake. I also prefer to use noise-reduction function letting this cameras complicated algorithms reduce this. I have found that this can achieve better results in-camera than PP, that might be specific to Nikon though.

I really enjoy shooting cityscapes, I prefer the time immediately after sunset before the inky blackness sets in. You've got to work quickly as you only have a 20 minute window. This time of the year is fantastic as you don't have to hang around for hours. It's always nice to have a cold beer at the end of the shooting !

Thanks a lot folks for the information and the time that was taken to put it down in a manner that I would understand.
Every answer leave me with another question, every days another school day as the saying goes.

I have heard a lot of people refer to the sweet spot of a particular lens ,where do you get this information. I looked on the sigma web site for info on the 17-70 hsm sigma lens that I have but got
no info as to what F stop to shot at for certain situations .
And is it possible to get a piece of glass to put in front of the front element of the lens for night shots to save the lens if I walk into anything in the dark.
Sorry if these are off a bit from the original post.

Thanks again ..

I have heard a lot of people refer to the sweet spot of a particular lens ,where do you get this information. I looked on the sigma web site for info on the 17-70 hsm sigma lens that I have but got
no info as to what F stop to shot at for certain situations .
And is it possible to get a piece of glass to put in front of the front element of the lens for night shots to save the lens if I walk into anything in the dark.
Sorry if these are off a bit from the original post.

Thanks again ..

Try 2-3 stops down from the lens maximum aperture - however DOF considerations may mean you want to stop down a bit further and/or if not using a tripod (and remote release) may limit your options.
Forget putting more glass in front of the lens as there is a very good chance it may reduce the IQ or cause flare. If you want to protect the lens do not walk walk into anything in the dark (use a torch or headlamp) lens hood may offer some protection and help reduce flare (which degrades the image).

Back