Advice on pricing for some equipment

Name
Col
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

As i am pretty unfamiliar with a lot of the old film stuff that is floating around i thought this would be the best place to ask. A mate of mine is looking to sell on some old cameras and lenses for his mum and knows nothing about what he has and what they are worth. Just wondering if i were to put a list here could you guys give me a bit of a ball park figure as to what he can expect? I don't have a complete list of the lenses as the pictures he sent me are from the wrong angle to give the front element on some of them but this is what i have to date:
Pentax MZ50 + 28mm & 50mm lenses
Chinon CS + 50mm + unknown zoom lenses
Zenit E + unknown lens
Zenit EM + unknown lens

I don't think they are worth very much at all judging by what i turfed up on that auction site but i don't want to go back to him without much else other than that information wise.

Cheers

Col

Checking eBay’s sold auctions is your best bet. That will give you a clear idea of what people are actually prepared to pay for the items. Watch out for buy it now listings with best offers, as the actual price paid is not shown.

i have done that already, like i say going off that the simple answer is not a lot but it would be nice to be able to go back to him and give him an informed opinion really and not just an ebay price list

The problem is that an opinion on here is just an opinion, whereas the eBay sold prices are hard facts. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there seems little point in someone saying a Zenit E is worth X when they routinely sell for Y on eBay. Dealers will of course sell them for a higher price, but they will offer your friend less than you could generally sell for on eBay, even after factoring in the fees.

I forgot to add: you will generally raise more by splitting the items up, selling bodies and lenses separately. It's more faff, but will maximise the return.

i have done that already, like i say going off that the simple answer is not a lot but it would be nice to be able to go back to him and give him an informed opinion really and not just an ebay price list

How are you going to give anyone an informed opinion when the word unknown appears 3 times in the short list. What a waste of time looking at this

In all honesty i would have been happy with something along the lines as chinon and zenit are pretty worthless but the pentax has potential or something like that if it were the case, i have asked for more photos of the lenses but he can't get them right now. If you saw the thread as a waste of time you didn't need to waste any more of your time by replying. I don't want a back and forth on this but that response just isn't helpful and is quite honestly unnecessary

if this works then this is it:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FZMZgKLoqazB6JTohfMcODn1oQ4p88wu
open

Ebay previous sale prices are the best you are going to get. They are not wishful thinking, they are what real people paid for them.
The worth of anything is what they actually sell for.

All of the cameras you list are pretty much at the bottom end of the market.

Cheers Terry, that doesn't surprise me based on my initial look on ebay tbh but i just wanted to see what people on here thought too. I've already told him that there isn't a lot of money to be had with them so when he sends the additional photos to me i have asked for then i can at least give him a fair and frank valuation with it as part of me thought i may have been a little too harsh when i first priced them. Evidently not as has been confirmed on here and ebay!

I'd consider posting the two Pentax lenses for auction, or just take them with the rest to a charity shop. As above about a guide to pricing (sold items only). My take on ebay is that for low-value items it's hardly worth all the hassle, it's better just to get rid of stuff and get on with life.

I'd consider posting the two Pentax lenses for auction, or just take them with the rest to a charity shop. As above about a guide to pricing (sold items only). My take on ebay is that for low-value items it's hardly worth all the hassle, it's better just to get rid of stuff and get on with life.

Depends how much you want the hassle really; if that equipment was in my possession, I'd also put the two Pentax lenses for auction (and they would probably get more individually than if it was posted with the MZ-50, which body only is going for <£10 on eBay (which after postage and fees is basically nothing). I'd send the MZ-50 to a charity shop as well. I'd put the Chinon CS and 2x Zenits up on the Classifieds on here - which would save on eBay fees. Although none of them are high value items, if they are working 35mm film cameras with a fastish prime on each of the cameras, they still have some value as a basic SLR.

Failing that gumtree sometimes comes through though you do get exponentially more tyre kickers.

A lot really depends on how much he can be bothered and whether it’s important to maximise any potential income. As others have said none of them are hugely desirable but all will attract more interest if they can be listed as tested and working.

If he/she is happy to test them, clean them, take some decent photos and list them with a good and informative description then ebay may be their best bet, if they are feeling a little lazier bang them onto ebay as a job lot of film cameras and lenses, if they’re feeling even lazier stick them all in a carrier bag and take them to a charity shop.

That bonkers long lens should attract a certain level of interest from the hipster crowd.

Cheers Raglan, i still have no idea what that lens is!
I will have to chat with him about it, a couple of things have happened since i first posted this with his family so this has been bumped down his priority list somewhat. Thanks for the help guys and i will try to remember to update this as and when i have some more info or just to let you know what he has decided to do!

To list a lens on ebay or anywhere else, good photos and an honest, written appraisal of condition will help to attract the right bidders. For a mf lens this would include: cosmetic condition; freedom from or presence of mould (usu called 'fungus' and best spotted by shining a lamp thro the wide-open lens at different angles); aperture blade operation (snappy, sticky, etc); feel of aperture and focus rings (loose, sticky, sweet, etc); any chips or scratches; dust (there's usually some internally).

Thus a buyer can feel fully informed and not that they might be 'taking a chance'.

Back