Advice on taking Football photos

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Wasn't sure where to post this one, apologies if its on the wrong place.

I am taking photos of local football to add to my football site.

I have looked over some articles and posts, some seemed to have been removed.

I have a Canon 500D and 70-200 f2.8 lens and recently purchased the 1.4 Mk III extender, I also use a monopod and sit.

I have been moving round the pitch to see if I can get better photos but wanted to ask with my equipment where would you recommend I sit.

Also should I always wait until the action comes as close as possible or is it ok to zoom.

If taking goal mouth action is it ok to zoom and get top half body shots. I see when watching premiership games some photographers with my lens and often wondered what they are trying to shoot.

Would you have any recommendations on settings that may help improve my overall pictures. I see a few on here but mine never have the bright colours that most seem to have.

Over the next few weeks I will be at quite a few night matches with semi-finals and finals of cup competitions, any recommendations on settings for this would also be appreciated.

It's something I have had a go at and I want to do more so I look around at what everyone else does.
Look at what others take, have a look at www.kipax.com to get ideas of what people generally want when it comes to football photos. I just checked the local paper from the Bolton v United game at the weekend and there wasn't a single shot of the goal celebration it was crunching tackles everywhere and the despondent players after the goal.
Look at games on TV where to they sit there? yep behind the goal line most of the time. that give you the shots of players running towards you with the ball and your normally close for the celebration as they turn away the further out to the side you are the more players you will have joining in the celebration.
Sit low to make the players look bigger. It all depends on the type of football pros run to the corners where their fans are, amateur tend to run to the centre circle celebrating along the way so you may be better shooting from somewhere near the half way line.

You will be surprised what reach you will get with your camera and a 70-200mm, you will frame the goal at the opposite end perfectly on a full sized pitch at 200mm and reasonable reach getting near the centre circle for just over full length body shots. At 70mm your probably looking at about the 6 yard line when you start to loose body parts from the frame. But I was sitting on the track about another 6 yards back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

I'm getting increasinly frustrated when a good portion of my photos are not in focus and I wonder at times how I mange to achieve it.

Use the center spot and AI servo is the best you can do on a 500D its not that great at tracking either but you can get them.

Im off tonight for my first semi-final only done one night match before and wasn't too good. At least tonight it will be dry.

I am using the following settings

AV mode
AI Servo AF
Continuous Shooting
AF point Center Spot
Metering Mode - Spot

What default picture style do most use. Is there anything I should try when I get to the ground for better settings on the camera.

Im off tonight for my first semi-final only done one night match before and wasn't too good. At least tonight it will be dry.

I am using the following settings

AV mode
AI Servo AF
Continuous Shooting
AF point Center Spot
Metering Mode - Spot

What default picture style do most use. Is there anything I should try when I get to the ground for better settings on the camera.

AV for a night match is asking for trouble, bright floodlights and dark stands will play havoc with your metering and shutter speeds.

Shoot in Manual. Get your ISO as high as you can, shoot wide open and see what shutter speed you have left, probably 1/320th or less.

AI Servo, yes

AF centre spot, yes

Spot metering, yes

Shoot in Manual. Get your ISO as high as you can, shoot wide open and see what shutter speed you have left, probably 1/320th or less.

AI Servo, yes

AF centre spot, yes

Spot metering, yes

spot metering or any camera metering isnt any use in manual:)

Only time ive ever used spot metering is to correctly expose a seriously backlit subject like in your avatar

So what should it be set to or do I not need to worry.

Evaluative
Partial
Spot
Center-weighted

Im a Nikon shooter and i use Matrix metering, if i remember correctly the Canon equivilant is Evaluative

Take a look at my website and tell me if im getting it right, i am as far as im concerned.

I might move to partial metering if shooting in public parks and the background is mainly sky

Im a Nikon shooter and i use Matrix metering, if i remember correctly the Canon equivilant is Evaluative

Take a look at my website and tell me if im getting it right, i am as far as im concerned.

I might move to partial metering if shooting in public parks and the background is mainly sky

I'll give both a blast and see how it goes, heading out now.

What does Shooting wide open mean?

Having the lens set to it's maximum aperture, ie, the lowest f-number

This lets in the maximum amount of light, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed, or lower iso setting.

It also gives you minimum depth of field, which is great as it throws the background out of focus, emphasising your subject
It also gives you minimum depth of field, which is bad as your technique has to be spot on to keep the subject in focus.

Back