Advice on telephoto lenses please?

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I am not a photographer but want to buy a lens for my girlfriend's birthday. She has a Nikon D50.

I think it's a telephoto lens that she wants (one that can zoom in a long way?:shrug:). I want to spend between £100-£150.

Can anyone make any suggestions or tell me what to look for?

Thanks!

Theres not a massive choice in that price range...but one that dose spring to mind is the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro DG;)

It would help if you can find out what lenses she already has. If she only has the kit lens than by all means the Sigma suggested by Eric Mc would be a good choice.

It would help if you can find out what lenses she already has. If she only has the kit lens than by all means the Sigma suggested by Eric Mc would be a good choice.

Wow! What a response. Thanks all. :D

At the moment she only has the one lens that came with the camera.

I'll take a look at the ones you've suggested. Any others too look at?

What's are numbers that I should be looking at? To give you an idea of my knowledge in this area, the bits in bold mean nothing to me!...
"NIKON 55-200mm~VR~AFS DX ZOOM NIKKOR LENS 55-200 mm"

55-200mm is the range of the zoom lens.

VR is Vibration Reduction - this makes it much easier to get sharp shots when not using a tripod at slower shutter speeds (This is GOOD)

AFS means that it has a built in auto focus motor and is meant to be very quiet.

DX means it can only be used on the digital cameras with a smaller sensor - not something you need to worry about unless she is going to upgrade to a £3000 full frame camera, at which point she would most likely want to upgrade from a £150 lens anyway!

Back