Advice on this combination?

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
No
Well with money I am saving I am planning on getting a Nikon 50mm F1.4.
But after getting that, I wouldn't have money for a macro, so I was wondering would a Raynox work well with the above lens? If so, which Raynox, would anyone able to give me some kind of example shots if you own these two, and where would I be able to pick up a Raynox? They seem incredibly illusive in the UK..

Thanks
Sam

I'd look at the Canon 250D and 500D -- as you have a -210 lens, you might be best getting a 500D for that.

The macro tutorial in the tutorial section explains their use.

I think i must have worded it wrong, i already own a camera but i was just wondering would a Nikon 50mm F1.4 work well with a raynox and what type of results would it get

No, the wording was fine :)

The 250D and 500D are magnifying lens filters and are available in a range of sizes to fit most lenses. If you can't find one the right size just get one a bit bigger and use a step-up ring.

Close up Filters are really aimed at p&s crowd.

Depends what your aim is and whether you avoid the cheap ones. ...and of course your budget.

Good quality ones can have their place, even in combination with 'macro' lenses.

Well with money I am saving I am planning on getting a Nikon 50mm F1.4.
But after getting that, I wouldn't have money for a macro, so I was wondering would a Raynox work well with the above lens? If so, which Raynox, would anyone able to give me some kind of example shots if you own these two, and where would I be able to pick up a Raynox? They seem incredibly illusive in the UK..
Thanks
Sam

Amazon UK sell them, but the DCR-250 (8 diopters - very close!) is quite small diameter and will probably vignette (dark corners) on that lens. It works best on a mid-zoom like 70-300 and I've seen good results on here. Not as good as extension tubes or a pukka macro lens of course, but a lot of fun for £45.

The Canon close-up lenses are good but pricey - 250D is 4 diopters, 500D is only 2 - not very close in macro terms. Hoya and B+W make cheaper alternatives, and they go up to 10 diopters. Have a look on Warehouse Express.

for around £45 you can get extension tubes, or save a bit more for a macro lens. With filters you will see very soft corners, lots and lots of CA, loss of contrast and definition. I tried it so I know.

It may be still useful as a magnifying glass for inspecting the sensor dust, etc but you could get it cheaper for that purpose.

I use the 50 f1.8 and a Raynox 250. I'm enjoying the results. Here's some I took around a year ago.

2711158464_dcbf64425f.jpg

2711156936_e9afd94281_m.jpg

2710344619_f4b03d6e55_m.jpg

2710345181_966fc26064_m.jpg

And here's a link to the Flickr Album if you want to see them in larger sizes.

Back