Advice on water damage

Edit My Images
Yes
Came home on the weekend to water pouring through the ceiling from the loft, this had soaked my camera bag thgat was downstairs but the inside was only being a little moist due to the thickness of the Lowepro bag. Should I be worried about the Nikon D5300 (non weather sealed), speedlite, lenses and spare batteries contained in the bag? My thoughts are what if some moisture has got inside the lenses as the bag must have been getting wet for a good 2hours or so.

My Interfit studio lights and light stands on the other hand were in another bag in the loft, they have moisture in the light bulbs so are were quite wet so certainly not wating to use them now.

We have a loss adjuster visiting so just trying to figure things out prior to doing the insurance inventory.

Attachments

• 20220917_183321 copy.jpg
    20220917_183321 copy.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 6
Express your concerns to the loss adjuster, and if they prevaricate, tell them that you want to reserve the right to claim at a later date once you have confirmed the exact nature of the damage. Or just tell them they have been water damaged and need professional repair or replacement.

Assume the worst and claim.

get some silica gel sachets and put them with your gear individually into sealed plastic bags. that over time should draw out and dampness in the camera. I know it works because i did exactly the same to demist the rear screen on my D300. it might take a few weeks depending on how damp they get

Last edited:
You should definitely claim for the damage as the bag got a soaking.

Hopefully, you would have disconnected all the batteries as soon as you could. Moisture can be dried out, but don't rush it by sticking it near a heater. The best thing is to put it in the airing cupboard for a week - if you don't have one, then diffused sunlight will be OK for short periods at this time of year. As Bazza suggested, some dehumidifier packs will help.

Thanks all, it's listed on our inventory for the loss adjuster along with photos of the items.

Back