Advice on wedding photography?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello friends,

A friend of mine gets married this weekend, and yesterday he call me just to tell me: PLEASE BRING YOUR CAMERA!

so, I just answer: OK...

This is my first wedding (as a photographer), I used to go and have fun, not go and take pictures... but I just can say "no" to a friend. This time is for free, because he is so limited in the budget, so It's kind a wedding gift hehe.

So, going back to my doubts.

My equipment is so far:
Canon 20D
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.
28-105mm f/3.5- USM
75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM
2 x 1GB ULTRA II
1 x 512mb ULTRA II

I dont have a Flash, but I'm thinking on borrowing one or rent one, because I can imagin that the flash that the 20d has is not enough.

1) Wich flash do you recommend me to rent? or get?

2) Wich lens did you recommend me tu use? or lenses?
-I was thinking in using the 28-105 almost all time, and use the 18-55 just for group shots.

75-300... leave it at home.

Important thing, the wedding is in the morning, inside a hall.

3) What things do I have to consider?
4) What kind of shots I have to look for?

All the help, advice, and recommendations are GREAT!

:wave:

I used to cover weddings with two lenses - a 28-80 and a 24mm for larger groups and bigger interior shots. You shouldn't really need anything else, but why leave kit at home ... you never know. :)

You need to beg, borrow or steal a decent flashgun. Obviously, you'll need one for interior shots, but you should use flash for all your shots, even those taken outside. Harsh contrasty sunshine doesn't equate to good shots, so either put your subjects in the shade and use fill flash, or with their backs to the sun to avoid everyone squinting, and again use fill flash.

Plan everything to make a decent job of it. Get along to the hall where the wedding is taking place so you see what conditions you'll be working in and get some idea of how you'll take the shots. Same with the reception venue, (if different) check it out well in advance.

On the actual day, get there early and have a word with the clergyman/official doing the wedding and ascertain whether you can use flash or not during the service. Some don't mind - some do, but make a friend of him/her and get him/her on your side. The mere fact that you've taken the trouble to ask and introduce yourself will get you a long way. ;)

When you're taking the shots really check that viewfinder before you press the shutter, and be on the lookout for fire buckets, extinguishers, toilet signs, notice boards, and a host of things that will do nothing for your final shots. Choosing the right spot for your shots makes a huge difference, The background is all important!

You need two flash guns and a spare body to be really safe from calamities, but I'm sure you'll be OK. Good luck and make a good job of it. (y)

I did a wedding last Saturday (29th April 06). Its the first one I've done in over a year (and only the second one ever for photos - done video before).

Was only a registry office but we had prior knowledge of the building layout and knew exactly where we would get the best photos. I got permission from the registrar to take shots during the ceremony - some don't like this. Ironically, many of the candid shots came out just as great if not better than the posed ones.

It was actually my brother's wedding, so already knew a lot of the people who were there, but rapport building with the wedding party is very important. You need to get people laughing and looking happy - you'd be surprised how many long faces can make it into photos if you aren't careful, especially when people have been standing around for ages.

Only equipment I had with me was my Fuji S5100, 2x256mb cards, a 128mb card for backup, and a dozen batteries. The only thing I was disappointed with (and I knew I would be) was the camera's built-in flash which is completely inadequate for... well... anything.

I took 102 shots on the day - several were duplicates with/without flash etc, and also took two or three of every large group shot as you always get at least one person with either their eyes shut, or a daft expression. Having a couple of pics means, worst case scenario, you can drop all versions into photoshop and swap heads!

Out of the 102 shots I took, I gave the bride and groom 68 pictures to look at that I was personally happy with - they only want to have 50 and I understand they're having a hard time chucking out 18 of them (which I take as a compliment!).

Many came out much better than I ever hoped for.

Remember the rule of P's - Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. ;)

Thanks guys, this is really helpfull!!!

I will try to get a flashgun, Actually I have one, but is the 420ez (wich I used it 35mm), is not compatible with the e-ttl of the 20d, I only can use it in full manual mode both, the camera and the flash. I can do it... but I prefer one that communicates with the camera well.

ppuga consider the Sigma 500dg super. I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you except the wedding is not till next year. Ideally I'd like you to buy the Sigma and try it at your wedding then tell me if it's ok :D

And Rule No1... Stay away from the bar until the job's done and the camera is back in the bag. Booze and photography isn't a good mix. :D Refuse all offers of drinks until you're finished..

CT said:
And Rule No1... Stay away from the bar until the job's done and the camera is back in the bag. Booze and photography isn't a good mix. :D Refuse all offers of drinks until you're finished..

Heh, some good advice there CT! :LOL:

CT said:

bah some of the best gig photography ive done has been after a few jars :):bonk:

Well...

I survived the wedding!!

I will post some photos and the history in another thread in the photo sharing section!

Thanks all for your help!

well done :D

What flashgun did you use...I'm looking forward to your images :)

Back