Advice on which Camera mounted flash unit pls

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all

I am about to purchase some studio flash gear, but I have received my first photography shoot request for someone (not my mate) of a pet, however I will need a good quality flash unit for my E-510.

As far as I can gather, I have the choice of the FL-36 or the FL-50. I have requested prices and delivery estimates from the reliable kerso on here, but wanted your opinion on which I should go for please or indeed if there are any other suitable flash units I could use on the E-510.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fl50 is the way to go as the 36 has a recycle time of around 8 seconds, plus you can get a external battery pack for the 50.

CM

(ps - still got a foot in both camps - the 'dark' side is also the 'heavy' side)

Cheers Chilli... I can get the FL-50 from Amazon in time for my requested shoot on Saturday, but I am waiting to hear back from Ian (Kerso) to see if he can get me one by then. If so, I'll purchase from Ian.

Right - another question if I may.

I assume these flash units can be used as bounce flash so that the subject doesn't look as though he/she/it is directly lit? Also - do they come with a diffuser head or do I need to (1) buy one, (2) improvise...? :)

Yes, you can bounce with them (they have a swivel head). Both have a built in diffuser but I doubt it will work as well as one of those Fong thingies.

Keep us posted on here regarding Kerso's price. I was considering buying an FL-36 but chances are I could get a FL-50 from the USA for the same price.

Yes, you can bounce with them (they have a swivel head). Both have a built in diffuser but I doubt it will work as well as one of those Fong thingies.

Keep us posted on here regarding Kerso's price. I was considering buying an FL-36 but chances are I could get a FL-50 from the USA for the same price.
Hi INO

Well... I have now purchased the Olympus FL-50 from Kerso who will deliver to me for Friday this week - and he has said that for members here the price is £210 + £10 p&p. Fan-bleedin-tastic deal if you ask me.

Can't wait to get my hands on this :)

I have to say that Ian is a joy to work with, always polite, professional and friendly, and I know for sure where I will be getting my photography gear from now on.

OK, now that I have this top-level (apparently) and Olympus dedicated flash unit on its way to me, and I will have a day to play with it and take pics before going to Pembroke on Saturday - can anyone offer advice as to how best to use it to take pics that look as though no flash has been used?

Should I bounce off a ceiling, or should I get some white card... or a reflector...?

Happy to try things, as always willing to learn. Ta.

Hi INO

Well... I have now purchased the Olympus FL-50 from Kerso who will deliver to me for Friday this week - and he has said that for members here the price is £210 + £10 p&p. Fan-bleedin-tastic deal if you ask me.

Wow. That's a great price. Have fun with it (y)

Ino: I agree, superb deal to be honest. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Slapo: nice link, though the guy goes on a tad!

Should I bounce off a ceiling, or should I get some white card... or a reflector...?

Happy to try things, as always willing to learn. Ta.

Bouncing the flash off a handy wall or ceiling will give you the softest most pleasant flash result. I's quite comical really that all the camera flash manuals show the girl sitting by the wall with advice on how to bounce the flash off the handy nearby white wall. This happy situation almost never occurs in real life, the handy wall or ceiling (if there is one) is often anything but white, and unfortunately, the flash bouncing off that surface picks up whatever colour it is and paints a cast all over your model. If you shoot in RAW though, this is no longer the big problem it once was and should be correctable.

Having done so many wedding interior shots with flash my pet hate is hard flash shadows on walls etc - they leap out at me and jar every nerve ending, so avoid those at all costs.

FWIW the best on camera solution I've yet come across short of a multi-light set up, is the Fong Diffuser. It's a bit of a rip off price but it works really well.

Thanks CT - you really are a photographers bible eh! Cheers matey... (y)

Back