ADVICE ON WHICH LENS

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Would like the help of the good folk of this forum assist me with my final decision. I have a Nikon D7K and am upgrading from the standard kit lens.

In my bag already is a Nikon 35mm f1.8, and am now looking for a everyday lens. The three lenses that I have chosen are:

1. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC
2. Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM / EX DC HSM
3. Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM / DC Macro HSM | C

What my head says is that not much focal difference between the 35mm and 50mm, where as the 17-70mm is only f2.8 @17mm and there after mainly f3.5 but does give me the extra zoom. I am no pro photographer just a keen hobbyist/amateur and would really like some help on my final decision.

If it helps my budget is approx £300, so if there are any other lenses of recommendation I am willing to listen...

Many Thanks for stopping by and hopefully guiding me to my next purchase

Saul.

The Tamron 17-50 is a nice lens. A friend had the Sigma version which was equally as good too. No idea about the 17-70, sorry. Do you need 2.8? Just seen an 18-140 in the classifieds which apparently according to reviews is a nice step up from the 18-105.

I've had the 17-70mm and would recommend it. It's a good general purpose lens and, for tabletop close-ups like my avatar, the ability to focus down to 1:3 is very useful.

Last edited:
I have the Tamron 17-50 non vc one and am very happy with it. Do you need a zoom for indoor or outdoors?

Nikon 35-70 F2.8 is highly respected and excellent value for money second hand read the review HERE

The Tamron 17-50 is a nice lens. A friend had the Sigma version which was equally as good too. No idea about the 17-70, sorry. Do you need 2.8? Just seen an 18-140 in the classifieds which apparently according to reviews is a nice step up from the 18-105.

I thought that as I am upgrading may as well get a faster lens. Will look in the classifieds in a bit.

Thank you

I have the Tamron 17-50 non vc one and am very happy with it. Do you need a zoom for indoor or outdoors?

I think for indoor use I will use the 35mm, outdoors not too sure hence confused between the 50mm or extra on the 70mm.

I think for indoor use I will use the 35mm, outdoors not too sure hence confused between the 50mm or extra on the 70mm.

Saul,

For outdoors the 17-50 or the 17-70 may not be a good option especially with kids. I would suggest use what you have for now and see how you get on. Keep an eye out for a used Tamron 17-50 non VC which can be had for about £150. Then from the bit you save from your £300 have a look at the 55-200 Nikon VR which can be had for under £100, othewise go with David's option of the 18-140.

I think at the moment the 200 length is a bit of an overkill. Just for the record has anyone dealt/had dealings with ValueBasket.?

Saul,

For outdoors the 17-50 or the 17-70 may not be a good option especially with kids. I would suggest use what you have for now and see how you get on. Keep an eye out for a used Tamron 17-50 non VC which can be had for about £150. Then from the bit you save from your £300 have a look at the 55-200 Nikon VR which can be had for under £100, othewise go with David's option of the 18-140.

The 18-105 has gone already, will look into the 18-140 option.

I have the Tamrom 17-50 VC on my 50D and it's given me some great results. Having used a friends Canon 17-55mm, I realised that it's not the quickest to focus and fairly loud when doing so. Then again, it's half the price of the Canon. I have heard the focus on the Sigma you mentioned is quicker and quieter than the Tamron but that's if you believe online reviews.

Back