Advice please: 1DX & 6D vs 1DX Mark ii or not.

Edit My Images
No
His everyone,

After a bit of advice please.

From the off I have to state that in not a professional and photography is purely something I enjoy as a hobby and use to capture the kid's great moments(or at least try!).

Currently using a 6d and a 1dx but due to the weight usually take just the 6d on hols, have a couple of decent lens. Reason for the this post is we've just returned from holiday, on which I have took the the 6d, and on the going through the images have quite a low keeper rate - particularly of the kids racing around.

Now I know that the 6d's focusing skills are not the best but I've been left really underwhelmed.

So, the question is :

1. Sell both and get a 1dx mark ii?
2. Sell the 6d and replace with a 7d mk ii?
3. Attempt to learn to use the center focus point on the 6d and recompose whilst chasing the kids?
4. Sell the 6d and accept that the 1dx is heavy but great and the 1dx ii isn't a massive upgrade.

Would you also have like a to be able to shoot video up to 4k.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

5d4?

Did consider this but love the handling of the one series......Not sure what to do
Ah the 1 series brick like qualities, so hard to ignore :)
Every now and again I fire up my 1D MK2 relic.

the 1dx II over the 1dx really depends on what your using it for... If you want the video then the big improvement is the touch screen and auto focus.. the 1dx doesnt auto focus the 1dxII does.... pics....if your in low light then its a full stop better and thats a lot at the top end... a massive thing for my work that may not even get used by many others is the 1dxII anti flicker..

but focusing.. i personally dont see anything different betewen the two or even earlier models.. they focus quick thats it... maybe as i upgraded each mdel i didnt notice the difference..

5D4 seems a good option and something I’ve considered lately ...... how are you set up at the moment.... are you using A1servo and have you tried back button focussing....?
Yep too both.

How's things video with from both the mk ii?

Cheers

The 6d AF is only really reliable on the centre point, and there it’s as good as any camera I’ve used. The outer points are rarely useful.

But... you took the 6d on holiday for a good reason. I shoot for money and have no desire to schlep a bloody 1d series anywhere.

If you like the handling of the 1 series just ask yourself why you left it at home. It’s your money, but we’ve been successfully shooting our kids playing for 100 years, is a top of the range pro camera really necessary to do that?

It occurs to me the only way you’ll not rather take the 6d on holiday is if you don’t have the option. I think an M50 fits your needs perfectly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this and I'm usually the one to argue otherwise ... but Option 5: sell the 6D and the 1DX and buy a Sony A7III and use a mix of adaptors and some new native lenses; or even sell everything and look at m43 and Fuji X as well.

the difference between the 1dx and the 1dx mk2 isn't great if truth be told but it does have 4k if that interests you so that will be a half decent Cfast card on the to buy list while your at it not to mention weather your PC is up to speed to edit the footage
i thought i would be up to speed for editing the 4k footage with an I7 clocked to 4.2 ghz and a Nvidia GTX 970 4gb graphics card but the reality is it's not up to the job

i see a lot about the bulk of a 1d body which is perfectly valid when comparing to the mirror less bodies but if you are using a battery grip with other canon bodies the bulk is about the same and there is about 100 grams weight difference which in my view isn't enough to deter me from the 1d

i moved from the 1dx to the 1dx mk2 not because i need the mk2 for my work or mk1 was holding me back in any way it was simply GAS i just wanted one and it will be the same when the mk3 appears if i can afford to upgrade at the time
if you feel the same just upgrade, it will not improve your photography or the amount of keepers you get with the mk1 but it will scratch that itch :)

the bulk of the 1d bodies doesn't bother me i take it everywhere i would take a camera i'm more concerned which lens i take for the day

The 6d AF is only really reliable on the centre point, and there it’s as good as any camera I’ve used. The outer points are rarely useful.

But... you took the 6d on holiday for a good reason. I shoot for money and have no desire to schlep a bloody 1d series anywhere.

If you like the handling of the 1 series just ask yourself why you left it at home. It’s your money, but we’ve been successfully shooting our kids playing for 100 years, is a top of the range pro camera really necessary to do that?

It occurs to me the only way you’ll not rather take the 6d on holiday is if you don’t have the option. I think an M50 fits your needs perfectly.

Thanks Phil, I agree although I love shooting with the 1dx, to carry that, a couple of lenses and usually a 4yr old is a pain. I do like the handling but....

I think I need to do a bit of reading as I'd not heard of the m50!

sell the 6D and the 1DX and buy a Sony A7III and use a mix of adaptors and some new native lenses; or even sell everything and look at m43 and Fuji X as well.

How well do the L lenses get on in the Sony ecosystem? I've got a few nice lenses that I love (135L) that I would be very reluctant to give up but I'm more than happy to admit that I'm really ignorant about other systems outside of Canon.

How well do the L lenses get on in the Sony ecosystem? I've got a few nice lenses that I love (135L) that I would be very reluctant to give up but I'm more than happy to admit that I'm really ignorant about other systems outside of Canon.
To be honest I couldn’t give any opinion... but was surprised no one made the suggestion of looking outside Canon considering you mentioned size and weight.

6dII has the size of the 6d with greatly improved AF.

5dIV is better and faster without the bulk of the 1 series, but not as small asthe 6

M series bodies are so much more convenient the M50 for video or an M5 as the most ‘usable’.

His everyone,

After a bit of advice please.

From the off I have to state that in not a professional and photography is purely something I enjoy as a hobby and use to capture the kid's great moments(or at least try!).

Currently using a 6d and a 1dx but due to the weight usually take just the 6d on hols, have a couple of decent lens. Reason for the this post is we've just returned from holiday, on which I have took the the 6d, and on the going through the images have quite a low keeper rate - particularly of the kids racing around.

Now I know that the 6d's focusing skills are not the best but I've been left really underwhelmed.

So, the question is :

1. Sell both and get a 1dx mark ii?
2. Sell the 6d and replace with a 7d mk ii?
3. Attempt to learn to use the center focus point on the 6d and recompose whilst chasing the kids?
4. Sell the 6d and accept that the 1dx is heavy but great and the 1dx ii isn't a massive upgrade.

Would you also have like a to be able to shoot video up to 4k.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I've owned a 6D, 7D MkII, 1DX and a 1DX MkII all within the last 2 1/2 years.

I'm not sure you would be happy with a 7D2 especially if you start comparing it against your 1DX. Mine lasted 6 months before I sold it.

The 1DX2 is definitely better than the 1DX but it's diminishing returns. For me the increase in AF points at f8 was a big step forward and the ability to set completely different AF set ups to the back buttons was worth the upgrade. It may not be for you.

Worth taking a look at the 5D4. It's a lovely camera, good AF and handles pretty well with a grip but not quite as well as a 1 series.

Thanks everyone.

It looks like I should have a look at the 5d mk iv and at least look at the mirror-less stuff - no idea where to start[emoji848]

Gaz J, amongst the myriad of cameras that you've owned how did the 5d mk iv compare to your 1dx? As can be seen from my op I'm not even remotely a pro but am lucky enough to have kit to take photos of my kids and get frustrated when I can't achieve what I want to.

Cheers

For me the increase in AF points at f8 was a big step forward and the ability to set completely different AF set ups to the back buttons was worth the upgrade.
Doesn't the 1DX2 need the latest lenses an extenders to take advantage of the greater number of f8 AF points?
The 5D3 is a fine camera too, maybe if you bought that you could keep the 1D too?

Last edited:
Trade the 6 against a 5. I don't own a 6 but tbh the 5 is a terrific camera. I used to have a MK1 but I was concerned about weather proofness so I bought a 1D2 for horrible weather, since having the 5D3 I have hardly used the 1.

Doesn't the 1DX2 need the latest lenses an extenders to take advantage of the greater number of f8 AF points?
The 5D3 is a fine camera too, maybe if you bought that you could keep the 1D too?

No you don't need the latest MkII lenses to take advantage of the increase in AF points. It is lens dependent and also, in some cases, TC dependent but out of all the lens/lens & TC combinations they list only around 20-25 use less than 33 AF points. Some of those combinations can be increased by upgrading to a MkIII TC.

For example. 100-400 MkI with MkI/II TC you get 9 points. With a MkIII TC on that lens you get 61 points which is the same as the MkII version of that lens gives you.

Last edited:
I have read the replies to this. I think if you want an all rounder then i would go for a 7d2 it is great for action it will take landscapes and city shots. I have had mine since it came out it will do all you want

Thanks everyone.

It looks like I should have a look at the 5d mk iv and at least look at the mirror-less stuff - no idea where to start[emoji848]

Gaz J, amongst the myriad of cameras that you've owned how did the 5d mk iv compare to your 1dx? As can be seen from my op I'm not even remotely a pro but am lucky enough to have kit to take photos of my kids and get frustrated when I can't achieve what I want to.

Cheers

The only camera that Canon make that is better than the 1DX is the 1DX2.

I have gone through those cameras primarily because originally I had a 5D3 and a 1DX. Swapped the 5D3 for a 7D2 and regretted it. Didn't like it at all. 7D2 went for a 6D for Astro photography and landscapes. My retirement present to myself was a 1DX2 so for a while I had both 1DXs and the 6D. I was doing a lot more macro work and thought the 5D4 would give me some advantages over my 1DXs for that so sold the 6D and 1DX to buy one.

Image quality is great on it and there is very little to chose between the two cameras when it comes to higher ISO shooting.

I think that the 5D4 perhaps is the best all round camera that Canon make albeit expensive.

I should point out that I am primarily a wildlife photographer so my views are based around that.

However you already own one of the best cameras that Canon have ever made albeit at the cost of some bulk and I would think carefully before getting rid of it.

As for mirrorless I have no experience of it apart from the views of some friends who have one. I have thought several times about picking up a mirrorless system but, given the seemingly wide ranging views on their AF abilities, have never taken the plunge.

^^ Nice post.

+1 for the 5DM4 option. I’ve both this and the 1DXM2. No issues with AF with either for the type of this you need.

I find the 5DM4 quite small enough to take anywhere. If you need a smaller camera then check the other options mentioned.

Mmmmm

emoji57.png

love it when somebody just takes a single sentence out of a post

iv'e got to ask..
what do you think you will gain with a 1dx 2 that a 1dx doesn't give you already ? ( setting 4k aside for now )
if bulk is an issue i wonder why you bought a 1dx in the first place when it sounds like the 5 mk3 would have been more suitable at the time
now your looking at the 1dx 2 as an option and looking at your posts the 5d mk4 looks like it would suite what you do with a camera better

hence me saying it's sounds like an itch that needs scratching with the 1dx 2

i'm in the same boat as you a take a lot of photos of the family especially the children on days out / holidays etc, i make no money from photography and i certainly don't need a 1d body to do what i do with a camera but it's what i want

if you feel the same way just buy one but to be honest it looks like the 5d mk 4 would be better suited to your needs

i'm in the same boat as you a take a lot of photos of the family especially the children on days out / holidays etc, i make no money from photography and i certainly don't need a 1d body to do what i do with a camera but it's what i want

if you feel the same way just buy one but to be honest it looks like the 5d mk 4 would be better suited to your needs

What's need got to do with anything? :)
Seriously though, I bought a beat-up old 1D2 to scratch that 1D itch, but I'd really struggle to do so again at current prices, but I'm wondering about a 1D4 :) (she'll kill me if I do).
You're right a 5D4 realistically is all an amateur (or some pros) need to get a decent shot of virtually anything anytime anywhere.

love it when somebody just takes a single sentence out of a post

;)

Really didn't mean to take that sentence out of context - I was implying that I think you've hit the nail on the head.

It's a dreaded case of upgraditis with significantly reducing returns.

I most definately don't need a mk II but I would love one.

I've never shot with a 5D so it looks like that might be something I really need to have a look at.

Cheer

What's need got to do with anything? :)
You're right a 5D4 realistically is all an amateur (or some pros) need to get a decent shot of virtually anything anytime anywhere.

Unless you are shooting 'the confetti shot' at a wedding apparently :) Sorry I'll go and get me coat and leave the room :exit:

(To the OP; the above has nothing to do with you it's just a bit of humour I couldn't resist).

Is the 5dmk iv a 1dx but without the waterproof armour then?

Cheers
Not really, the 5D3/4 is water resistant, although no-one has defined what water resistant/proof means, so if you destroy a Canon by getting it wet you won't get a refund or free repair.
There are a few things the 1 can do the 5 can't but we are looking at the extreme end of capability, plus ruggedness, battery life, FPS and shutter life to name a few, but as I said earlier the 5 is more than enough for most.

Is the 5dmk iv a 1dx but without the waterproof armour then?

Cheers

No false idea.
The 1d x has much better shutter durability tested to 400,000 VS 150,000 I think.
1d x has bigger raw buffer and very fast fps and very fast af.
The 5d 4 has much higher resolution.
The 5d 4 is much more modern, touch screen, higher res screen, wifi, gps, nfc, 4K video, On-sensor phase detect, headphone jack, slow-motion video, considerably lighter etc......

Touché.[emoji6]

When using the center focus point of the 6d I do generally get more keepers but as soon as I switch to any of the other points, particularly the more peripheral ones, the keeper rate drops - even more so when using servo af.

The 6dII may well be the obvious option.
All the reasons you prefer to take the 6d but with improved AF.

Just a quick update on my rather 1st world conundrum.

I've just spent a couple of day skipping through lightroom and comparing the 1Dx with the 6d and I can definitively see a real difference. This was further re-enforced when my wife has been looking for pictures for a photobook of the kids and she also noticed a difference.

So, I think it's goodbye to the 6D and I need to get down the gym for some upper limb workouts prior to the next holiday!

Thanks for the advice everyone and as we all know, it's only a matter of time before the inevitable 1Dx II arrives :banghead:

Cheers

the difference between the 1dx and the 1dx mk2 isn't great if truth be told but

the truth? the truth ? OMG what cobblers.. the truth is there is a massive difference... BUT it depends on what your shooting.. you are obviously not pushing them to the limit or you would know what a mssive difference there is between the two cameras... good grief the anti flicker alone would be worth the upgrade for me and has already been worth it financially....... the one stop difference when your workign at iso 25600 on a 1dx is massive on a 1dxII i can now work at double that

I understand if your not pushing the camera the difference might not be much to you.. but to post saying the truth is not much diifference is at the very least missinformation :)

the truth? the truth ? OMG what cobblers.. the truth is there is a massive difference... BUT it depends on what your shooting.. you are obviously not pushing them to the limit or you would know what a mssive difference there is between the two cameras... good grief the anti flicker alone would be worth the upgrade for me and has already been worth it financially....... the one stop difference when your workign at iso 25600 on a 1dx is massive on a 1dxII i can now work at double that

I understand if your not pushing the camera the difference might not be much to you.. but to post saying the truth is not much diifference is at the very least missinformation :)

my post was referring to the OP particular use which doesn't look much different to what i use the 1dx and now the 1dx mk2 for
i know somebody in your position and the type of photography you do the differences will be significant but for people like me and seemingly the OP the differences are not that much
if the OP had said i am considering the 1dx mk2 because i do a lot of low light sports photography which is out of my depth and experience i wouldn't have posted

so why buy a 1dx mk2 if you already have a 1dx that satisfies my kind of photography i hear you ask ?
the answer is simple, one came up at the right time and price and i wanted one so i bought it

Back