Advice please! Affordable wide angle for Sony A7II?

Guys, quick question about the long lens.

I'm going to go with the Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS, of course I'd like a GM but a G is the limit of my funds right now. Any alternatives I should look at or is this my best bet?

There are no viable alternative tele-zooms apart from Sony right now in native mount. No idea what the new price is, but LCE have a couple of used FE70-300 for £849 and £899.

This is a useful resource: https://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp Select A mount or E mount from the drop down menu.

These 2 reviews are an interesting comparison:
https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1004-sony70300f4556oss - FE
https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/569-sony70300f4556gff - A mount

The FE 70-300 isn't a bad lens, but it IS a lot of money for that type of lens IMO. Having said that, in good condition they seem to hold their value well - the older A mount SSM seems to still go for £500-£700.

Canon mount tele zooms may work with the MC-11 adapter, and should be tried on a case-by-case basis. There is a Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 that goes for £550 to £650 used i.e. not so much less than the native fit lens.

My feeling is that I'd either prefer to have a fastish 70-200 OR a 100-400/150-600, and for those I'd probably look at Sigma/Tamron in Canon mount, or indeed Canon.

There is always the Canon 200mm 2.8 USM L II as an option with that MC-11, have seen them go used for as little as £350 - if you can get the adapter for cheap used also and it's mostly the longer end you require ...

Guys, quick question about the long lens.

I'm going to go with the Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS, of course I'd like a GM but a G is the limit of my funds right now. Any alternatives I should look at or is this my best bet?
The G lens are still good lenses. I started with the 24-105 f4 G and 70-200 f4 G. They are pretty good lenses. The reason I went with them was because that was what I had with Nikon and I was planning to get the 100-400 GM at a later date once I had found a used copy. I did consider the 70-300 but decided to try to mimic what I had with Nikon because that worked well for me in the past. In hindsight I probably don’t need the 70-200 as the 100-400 can cover that range if I need it to (barring some extra weight).

For longer focal length for native Sony lenses the only option are (in decreasing cost order):

70-300 G
70-200 f4 G
200-600 G
100-400 GM

You can adapt other lenses to fit. Some get great performance that way.

I've had the A7 since they first came out and it was only recently that the factory fitted back screen protector began to peel off. I was a bit worried about replacing it but in the end it was easy, I warmed the old one with a hair dryer and it came off no problem and the new one was cheap and easy to fit. Actually I think it came in a pack of 2.

I've had the A7 since they first came out and it was only recently that the factory fitted back screen protector began to peel off. I was a bit worried about replacing it but in the end it was easy, I warmed the old one with a hair dryer and it came off no problem and the new one was cheap and easy to fit. Actually I think it came in a pack of 2.
I didn't realise they had one fitted, so I fitted one.
Now it's got 2 on it. :)

I think a lot of people do that, I did :D In the past I've used those thin bendy plastic ones but I found they didn't last too long maybe because I use my camera in any and every environment. Anyway, this time I went for a glass one. I don't see anything wrong with fitting a protector over the factory one and maybe it's a good idea as it protects the factory one and even though you may be unlucky it is I suppose possible to damage the actual display when removing and replacing the factory one.

I think a lot of people do that, I did :D In the past I've used those thin bendy plastic ones but I found they didn't last too long maybe because I use my camera in any and every environment. Anyway, this time I went for a glass one. I don't see anything wrong with fitting a protector over the factory one and maybe it's a good idea as it protects the factory one and even though you may be unlucky it is I suppose possible to damage the actual display when removing and replacing the factory one.
It's a glass one I fitted.
Everything looks ok, so I don't suppose it will do any harm.

Hi all.

I really can't thank you enough for the wealth of excellent advice you've all given me. I've learnt a lot just from this thread!

So, I think I've made my decision. A7II with the kit lens and I'll upgrade to better glass further down the line. Maybe a GM, we'll see. Given the awesome advice I've had from here, that should see me with a little bit of budget left to cover an L bracket and I fancy giving the Kase circular magnetic filters a go so maybe a set of those too.

As for the telezoom, having had a more thorough look into this I think the FE 70-300 G is going to be my best bet. Second hand the cost is ok, plus with the size, weight, the AF and the IS... I think it's the best fit for what I need for now. I'd love the top end 100-400 GM but it's beyond my means.

I'll report back once I'm up and running. I'm expecting two things. 1) a HUGE upgrade all round from what I've been shooting with so far and 2) a huge downgrade on battery life! :LOL:

Thanks guys, you're awesome. Please keep your fingers crossed for some happy Black Friday results!

I’ve got a small rig L bracket that I will be putting up in the classifieds in a few weeks time (when I can find it after some building work that will hopefully be complete soon). I’ve only replaced it as I picked up a used RRS L Bracket.

Edit: sorry scrap that as I’ve noticed you only joined on Tuesday!

I’ve got a small rig L bracket that I will be putting up in the classifieds in a few weeks time (when I can find it after some building work that will hopefully be complete soon). I’ve only replaced it as I picked up a used RRS L Bracket.

Edit: sorry scrap that as I’ve noticed you only joined on Tuesday!

Cheers for the shout Rob, but I think I'd prefer something more slimline. But then I've never used a bigger one so I wouldn't know!

And yeah you're right, I'm a few weeks away from access. Probably for the best!

:)

Just had a good nose through your site. Superb work mate, really. Especially the National Parks section, that's right up my street! (y)

Cheers for the shout Rob, but I think I'd prefer something more slimline. But then I've never used a bigger one so I wouldn't know!

I have a smallrig bracket too. It provides a useful bit of extra grip on what is otherwise a quite small, dense and heavy system.

And yeah you're right, I'm a few weeks away from access. Probably for the best!

Just had a good nose through your site. Superb work mate, really. Especially the National Parks section, that's right up my street! (y)
I was initially the same prior to buying the A7R3 as I’d always used a more slimline L bracket on other cameras. The main reason I went with the small rig is it’s effectively an extension of the camera. The A7 camera bodies are a little short so my little finger falls off the end when holding the camera. The small rig L Bracket solves this by giving some extra room. The RRS L bracket just does it a little better and feels a more natural extension of the camera (even the battery door moves to the L bracket).

I was initially the same prior to buying the A7R3 as I’d always used a more slimline L bracket on other cameras. The main reason I went with the small rig is it’s effectively an extension of the camera. The A7 camera bodies are a little short so my little finger falls off the end when holding the camera. The small rig L Bracket solves this by giving some extra room. The RRS L bracket just does it a little better and feels a more natural extension of the camera (even the battery door moves to the L bracket).

@rob-nikon
Is it for the A7ii?
How much would you want for it?

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Just to report back after all your helpful advice, I went with the kit 28-70 and the 70-300. The bigger news is that my better half in one of her amazing moments suggested I went with the A7R2 instead.

I've had a few runs out with it so far and my GOD what an upgrade in every department. Genuinely like I've gone into the future. I can't really imagine how much better a camera could be to be honest. Thrilled with it.

As for the glass, I'm equally thrilled I went with the longer lens. A fixed aperture would definitely be nice to have but the extra reach is absolutely perfect for my needs at the moment. Plus to me, the out of focus areas look perfectly fine and the detail and sharpness has blown me away. Again, I can't really imagine how much better it could be, even though I know better exist. The kit lens... I've not used it much. In all honesty I've not even looked at any of the images from it full screen. What I do know is that it's not wide enough. But I was expecting to need another wide angle soon enough anyway.

Bottom line, super happy, thanks a lot for the help.

Mes.

Ps. where is best to host images for posting in here? Google? Flickr?

Cheers.

Ha! That's a rabbit hole I'm not able to go down yet, financially and maybe mentally too.
The financial bit I get, but mentally? What's that about?
You could go for an old wide angle lens with an adaptor an manually focus.
@woof woof is your guy for vintage lenses...

Last edited:
FWIW, since I last saw this thread, I did buy an LA-EA4 (used at £160) and am making do with the old Sony/Minolta AF 20mm/2.8 (£150) for my A7ii.

Works fine, although with the adapter it's a fair bit bulkier than a modern Samyang.

FWIW, since I last saw this thread, I did buy an LA-EA4 (used at £160) and am making do with the old Sony/Minolta AF 20mm/2.8 (£150) for my A7ii.

Works fine, although with the adapter it's a fair bit bulkier than a modern Samyang.
The samyang would be cheaper.
E-infinity sell it for £259.
You can also use older manual focus lenses with a basic £15 adaptor.

The samyang would be cheaper.
E-infinity sell it for £259.
You can also use older manual focus lenses with a basic £15 adaptor.

Agreed on cheaper, but I will share the LA-EA4 with other A-mount lenses (the Sony 500mm AF mirror and - perhaps - the Minolta AF 80-200/2.8 G/HS APO).

Agreed on cheaper, but I will share the LA-EA4 with other A-mount lenses (the Sony 500mm AF mirror and - perhaps - the Minolta AF 80-200/2.8 G/HS APO).

The LA-EA4 is really useful if you have older A mount lenses - I use one with a Voigtlander 19-35 (about £60 on ebay) and some of my leftover Minolta gear.

Having said that, I do like the Sammy 18mm, because it's tiny, featherweight, offers native AF and is sharper than any of the WA zooms I've owned. Got mine from a UK supplier (Cardiff cameras IIRC) for about £270 when there was a 15% off voucher code on Ebay. I do regret not having my old Sigma 12-24 still, but it was a heavy lump and was manual only with an adapter.

Here's a couple of examples from the Sammy.

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-09034 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-08978 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-09002 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The LA-EA4 is really useful if you have older A mount lenses - I use one with a Voigtlander 19-35 (about £60 on ebay) and some of my leftover Minolta gear.

Having said that, I do like the Sammy 18mm, because it's tiny, featherweight, offers native AF and is sharper than any of the WA zooms I've owned. Got mine from a UK supplier (Cardiff cameras IIRC) for about £270 when there was a 15% off voucher code on Ebay. I do regret not having my old Sigma 12-24 still, but it was a heavy lump and was manual only with an adapter.

Here's a couple of examples from the Sammy.

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-09034 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-08978 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Samyang FE 18mm f2.8 lens test-09002 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Thank you Toni, helpful as ever. The Samyang does indeed seem like a strong contender, the shots look great to me. I definitely like that you called it featherweight. I walk a lot so weight is definitely a consideration.

Thank you Toni, helpful as ever. The Samyang does indeed seem like a strong contender, the shots look great to me. I definitely like that you called it featherweight. I walk a lot so weight is definitely a consideration.

If weight is an issue then this is the lens. At f11 it's pin-sharp right into the corners (probably at larger apertures too) and has relatively minimal distortion.

Between 2 temples 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

@ancient_mariner

Thanks again Toni :)

That seems to be just the ticket. But the purchase is some way off yet. We're trying to start our own business so all funds are going in that direction for the time being.

As an aside, I notice you use Flickr. How do you find it? Trying to work out where would be best to host a few images.

Try a free account with Flickr & see how you get on. Flickr was really faecal 10+ years ago: terrible presentation, dog-slow. These days it's a lot quicker, but a bit unreliable and apparently struggling to be financially viable. If you have a free account then if it goes belly-up you've not lost anything and if you like it then you can go 'pro'.

Try a free account with Flickr & see how you get on. Flickr was really faecal 10+ years ago: terrible presentation, dog-slow. These days it's a lot quicker, but a bit unreliable and apparently struggling to be financially viable. If you have a free account then if it goes belly-up you've not lost anything and if you like it then you can go 'pro'.

Cheers Toni.

If I get a chance I'll give it a go tonight. Then you guys can have a chuckle at my beginner efforts :D

Back