Beginner Advice Please for 1st Camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening,

I'll be travelling later in the year and whilst my phone has a reasonably good camera, I don't want to be pulling it out every two minutes to take a picture.

I'm looking for a camera that will be good for landscapes but has the option to zoom in closer to shore (I'll be on a cruise). I'm looking for a camera that is more focused with photo capability as I'm not looking to take many videos.

Looking online, there are so many options but mirrorless or bridge seem to be most recommended. There are so many options that I'm a little lost to be honest.

I don't know how much I'll get into the photography after my trip but would, if possible, like a camera that I can take wildlife pictures with.

My budget is up to £700 (at the max) but that would need to include any additional lenses recommended if mirrorless.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you can figure it out, this Panosonic lumix HMC ZS-100 I recently got looks and feels like one well made camera. Problem I have with it is everything you could iagine is in it and I can't get through the owners manual very well. Keep in mind I am not all that smart! Gonna try to get it to where I can simply shoot photo's and not worry about all that other garbage. If I can, it's a keeper. I had a Canon something or other 740 that I really liked but it didn't last well at all, took great photo's. Also have a Nikon Cool Pix S6900 which also takes very nice photo but life span is simply to short for me. It's got some things going on with it right now and afraid it'll be ten toes up before long. Hoping this Panosonic can replace them. Something I fould about point and shoot cameras is even the cheap one's took photo's I could live with. The nice thing about them Is I like to have a camera along while working my dogs and the less expensive one's simply didn't hold up well at all. I also like to have a camera along out just fooling around in case I run into something I like. Thr Canon and Nikon worked very well for that and I've blown up 13x19 photo's from bothe that were really nice, well at least I think so! Problem with both was life span. Now about this Panosonic if they left out a bunch of the garbage I'll never use and make the same quality camera I'd still pay the money just to have a camera that looks like it should hold up well. It's bigger by a bit than both the Canon and Nikon but still will fit in a belt pouch, keeps it out of the way wen not in use.

Sounds like you will probably want a bridge camera, if you want to take ship-to-shore pictures. If phone photos are acceptable to you then it's likely to be at least as good.

Don't get hung up on the manuals. Just stick it on auto and shoot away. If you can't figure something out THEN is the time to read the manual. Generally these things are very simple to use.

Back