Advice Please for photographing Planes

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Biggin Hill this weekend thanks to some tickets from daveyuk :clap: .

I want to take pics of the flying aircraft and want to make the most of the day out, so was wondering what suggestions people could give me?

I assumed i would be using the 70-300mm lens on shutter priority with a fast shutter speed to give the props (if plane has them) a static appearance or a slower shutter speed for a bit of 'prop blur'. Does this sound corrrect.

Your info as always is greatfully accepted.

Your initial thoughts are correct. :) Don't forget to make allowance for the fact that your camera meter is likely to be over-influenced by the sky, resulting in the planes being under-exposed. Selecting centre weighted metering will help and you'll probably need to give a stop or two extra exposure too, but take a couple of test shots early on to see what gives the best results. If you're using Shutter Priority then give the extra exposure with the exposure compensation dial. Shoot RAW anyway to give the best exposure latitude.

The aircraft will be travelling fastest in relation to you when they're crossing your field of view at 90 degrees, which will test your panning the most and need the fastest shutter speeds. Keep panning as you take the shot and press the shutter smoothly. Taking them approaching at an angle will require a bit less panning and you'll probably get away with a slower shutter speed.

Use servo focusing - pick the plane up early in your viewfinder, and the servo focusing system should keep it in focus for you till you take the shot.

If you search for 'Duxford' you will find an old thread of mine with some plane pictures. The exif is in them if you want to check shutter speeds.

It is a matter of taste as to how much blur to a prop you like - balanced with the shutter speed you need for a shake free shot.

cool some useful tips, many thanks guys

Yes i got them fine(y):ty: , many thanks mate, apologies for not letting you know, i am just off to bed for the early start tomorrow to go down there, can't wait to go. Hopefully will get some good pics.

What a great start to June i won £80 on the Derby today :woot: , Bggin Hill tomorrow:clap: , VIP guest of Renault F1 at Silverstone next saturday :1st: and got tickets to see the race on Sunday from my Dad:notworthy: !!

Night all:wave: :D :nikon: :beer:

Back