Advice please for Wildlife shoot - Wildlife Heritage Foundation in Kent

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
For my Birthday this year my Dad has bought me a Big Cat photography session at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in Kent.

I've done some photos of wildlife before but never anything like this. does any one have any recommendations on what settings i should be using or advice on getting great wildlife pictures? or if anyone has shot there before and can let me know what to expect?

My Kit is
Canon 7D
Sigma 70-300mm (f4-f5.6)
Canon 17-85mm

Thanks in advance

Lucky you, I love it there. There's lots of threads on here about WHF, have a little look around and I'm sure your questions will be answered. I found that my 70-200 was too long for taking pictures there as you get up close and personal. But I used an 18-200 which was fine for me. Others may have different opinions. I'd post some links but I'm on my mobile so will post some later

cheers for the response, i'll have a better look around see if i can find something. my initial search turned up nothing.

Try with WHF, I'm on my home so will get links for you

The 17-85 will be adequate for most of your needs at WHF as you are so close, but still take the 70-300 as some, the Cheetah's for example are likely to to have a stroll around their compound.

Best to use a shallow DoF as this will help obscure the netting of the compound. Best not to use a lens hood to get your lens right against the wire mesh and remember to keep your lens central to the hole in the mesh. If its a sunny day try using a polariser to bring out the colours in the fur.

Thanks Erding, exactly the type of advice i was after. Fingers crossed for a sunny day!

As already said both lenses will be needed, I had shots from 10mm (just before the Tiger like the lens) upto 200mm for shooting the cats jumping the pond.

Whichever you take you will have a stunning day out :)

Hi. Just be aware that getting 'up close and personal' can result in you getting 'sprayed' so make sure you wear some old stuff, just in case, or be prepared to leg it.

thanks for that MrGrubby, so the 17-85and the 70-300 lens will be taken. i guess i could put one on the backup camera (400d) and not worry about switching. but reading what it says on the link i'd be alright switching them on and off the 7d assuming no rain.

thanks all! you've been a great help. excited to go now, bring on the 24th.

oh i did mean to ask, would it be worth taking along a 100mm f2.8 macro lens, i've found it good for portrait pictures in the past so if they're that close it might be useful right?

A good lens to use there, particularity for the Puma's jumping. It if is the Cannon non-IS, the 52mm lens will fit nicely between the bars of the fencing of the enclosures.

Back