Advice please on camera

NJG

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I’m after some advice. I’m looking for a new camera for family holidays. One that can go round the neck so it’s always ready to use but not to bulky. Would also like the facility to share the pictures with phone or tablet. I will be taking my dslr with me also but still want something of good quality.

Thank you

Any recommendations?

I was looking for a G5 or G7 X for a while but ended up with the G1 mklll (they are pricey but got a grey one [emoji33])

At the photography show the canon rep was pushing me towards mirrorless and to be fair it’s reasonably priced but I just wanted something you can put in a largish pocket.....

Downside to me is the price , battery life ( get a spare) and the zoom range is a bit limited compared to others but decent sensor and I like the flip screen ( never had one )...it links up to my iPad and iPhone really well and you can sync with the phone to get gps co ordinates....not bothered about 4K video

If you already have a canon Dslr the menu is almost the same....

Always in my glove box or carry or when I’m out and about not trying to do anything too serious but just to grab an opportunity.....

I was looking for a G5 or G7 X for a while but ended up with the G1 mklll (they are pricey but got a grey one [emoji33])

At the photography show the canon rep was pushing me towards mirrorless and to be fair it’s reasonably priced but I just wanted something you can put in a largish pocket.....

Downside to me is the price , battery life ( get a spare) and the zoom range is a bit limited compared to others but decent sensor and I like the flip screen ( never had one )...it links up to my iPad and iPhone really well and you can sync with the phone to get gps co ordinates....not bothered about 4K video

If you already have a canon Dslr the menu is almost the same....

Always in my glove box or carry or when I’m out and about not trying to do anything too serious but just to grab an opportunity.....

I feel that is still too big, want it to be small. Also would like my kids to be able to just pick it up and use it also so it’s not just photos of the kids they could get some of Mum and Dad aswell if you know what I mean.

I’m liking the SX730 at the moment and I’m think I may go and have a look today at some.

I feel that is still too big, want it to be small. Also would like my kids to be able to just pick it up and use it also so it’s not just photos of the kids they could get some of Mum and Dad aswell if you know what I mean.

I’m liking the SX730 at the moment and I’m think I may go and have a look today at some.
Do spend time holding a few different cameras - I found all the proper compacts way too small for my hands when I started looking, so I'm now looking at bridge cameras or something even bigger..

Do spend time holding a few different cameras - I found all the proper compacts way too small for my hands when I started looking, so I'm now looking at bridge cameras or something even bigger..

Yeah I know what your saying, I’ve not looked at cameras for a while so I will go to a shop and have a hunt. Sadly not many proper camera shops around anymore.

Do cameras get much smaller than the RX100? I have one and it easily fits into a pocket. Very decent IQ too.

Do cameras get much smaller than the RX100? I have one and it easily fits into a pocket. Very decent IQ too.

for the capability RX100 offers, no they don't. But if you are happy to put with a prime instead of a zoom, DMC-CM1 is little smaller :) (but not by much tbh)

In that case have a look at either the Panasonic DMC-TS30R LUMIX or Sony DSCW800/B. No idea on image quality, but since that's not the objective here then I don't see it matters really. Both are small, relatively cheap and in the case of the panasonic, reasonably robust.

For the size, the RX100 is great, not sure that other cameras are that much smaller

For the size, the RX100 is great, not sure that other cameras are that much smaller
I suspect the op is not actually thinking of an rx100 when he commented...maybe confused it with the rx1 or rx10 pics? If not then agreed with others don't think you can get anything much smaller at all currently and certainly not with the spec.

You can always compare camera sizes here >> https://camerasize.com/

Thanks for all your help.

Luckily today I was sorting out some stuff and I come across my canon ixus 970is. I actually thought I had got rid of this. Charged the battery up and away it went. It will do for my holiday snaps and that means saving from that I can put some more money into my dslr.

As I say thanks again.

Back