Advice please on Nikon AW1?

Name
Lindsay Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

I am after a bit of advice I was thinking about getting one of these cameras, I already have an array of lenses for my D90 I was wondering if there is an adapter that would allow me to use my lenses with the Nikon1 AW body?

Also anyone who has had some experience of this system I would be grateful for your opinion.

My thanks in advance. :ty:

Yup, the Nikon FT-1 will allow you to use AF S lenses on the AW1 and other 1 Series bodies. Not ideal for wide angles since the system has about a 2.7x crop factor but it does give long reach with lenses like the 70-300 VR. The adaptor isn't cheap but can be found 2nd hand. IMO, well worth seeking out but possibly not at new prices (depending on wallet fatness!)

Nod, very kind many thanks, I do a lot of fishing and thought this would be a good option but I also want to get use out of the glass I have.

I actually got the adaptor before any body to accept it! I was planning on the AW1 so grabbed it (the adaptor) when I spotted it on the shelf at LCE. A few days later I snapped up the V1 from the classifieds and have been playing with the V1 & 70-300 VR a fair bit. Works very well. Planning on keeping the zoom on the AW1 although I do have the fast prime too. Not used the AW much yet, will be using it a lot in June and September though - snorkelling in Crete. Too cold over here, especially at this time of year!

I'm tempted to buy the adaptor as well, would be very interesting to try the 120-300 on it with 1.4 and 2x adaptors (together)... 2268mm eqv?

HAVE A tripod for that, i cobbled together a similer focal length i think, and its massively sensative to shake :x
was a a55 or a77, 2x tele, cheapo 450 prime, and a 1.7x screw in tele

You can also get a non AF "version" of the FT-1 as well for about 1/5th price. Obviously it's a 3rd party accessory but *possibly* worth bearing in mind.

How functional is the third party converter? I know some bodies need a firmware update to retain full functionality with some lenses but I think that's AF related.

How functional is the third party converter? I know some bodies need a firmware update to retain full functionality with some lenses but I think that's AF related.

It's basically the same as non-AF extension tubes, i.e. there are no electrical contacts between the body and "FT-1" hence the manual focus. Might be worth a punt for £25-£35 quid. I keep looking for the Nikon FT-1 second hand. I missed one on here for ~£140/150 the other week. I'm a little reluctant to go all out as my V1 would be my third camera (after I buy a D610 in a month or so!) The official FT-1 can be had grey import for around £170 iirc.

How about metering? It's purely out of interest since I've got a real FT-1. Only using it on the V-1 since I'm trying to avoid changing lenses on the AW to lower the risk of leakage. Still can't really believe that I found an FT-1 in LCE priced at £125 but that I only had to pay £110 for it!

HAVE A tripod for that, i cobbled together a similer focal length i think, and its massively sensative to shake :x
was a a55 or a77, 2x tele, cheapo 450 prime, and a 1.7x screw in tele

I tried it on my D7000 and started getting frustrated with my tripod as the moon kept disappearing from sight... Then I realised it was the moon moving... :wacky:

On an AW1 it'll be interesting trying to keep up. :LOL:

A mate with a 600 & 1.4x telecom is coming to see me on Friday. 600 x 1.4 x 2.7... Will use a tripod for that, even if it's a VR lens!

Back