Advice please, switching from nikon to canon.

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I currently have a nikon D90. Happy with the quality of images but camera often gets left at home as it intimidates my wife. We were always Canon but swtched to Nikon when we were offered a d200 at good price after a mishap with our first digital. (Canon eos 300d) i then changed to the D90 a year ir so later.

So am currently thinking of selling everything or swapping for a more basic Canon. Was thinking about a Canon 750d but they seem pricey and the basic lens would need upgrading.

Any suggestions for a good canon starter kit? Possibly slightly older to get the cost down

Current setup is
D90
18-200 vr (stays on camera most of the time)
17-55 kit lens
50mm 1.8
35mm 1.8g
Sb600 flash
70-300

What can I downsize to in canon that can still take good pics but offer a few easy point and shoot modes etc?

Would want something to cover the 18-200 range and also an external flash. Not sure which canon lenses are good though.

Thanks
Craig

Why not just get a D3300 or D5300 and keep all your lenses?

More basic than the D90, especially the D3300 which I believe has a 'guide' mode.

I wouldn't say the 750D is much more simple than a D90 TBH.

Last edited:
M3/M4 (APS-C but without the pentamirror) seem pleasantly small. Re: 18-200 lens and good, these aren't compatible concepts, depending of course on what you want the image for.

Is your wife intimidated by the camera pointed at her or intimidated to use it?

From JJ's comment, the D5500 is a very small camera with an easy to use touch screen interface.

Last edited:
I'd like to move back to canon. I like your signature. There is no perfect bag :)

I think I found a near perfect bag lol.

The canon 100D is super easy and simple but put a 18-200 on it and it looks a little swamped!!

The 1200D is next up in size.

Seems a shame to move back to Canon with all that Nikon glass!

M3/M4 (APS-C but without the pentamirror) seem pleasantly small. Re: 18-200 lens and good, these aren't compatible concepts, depending of course on what you want the image for.

Is your wife intimidated by the camera pointed at her or intimidated to use it?

From JJ's comment, the D5500 is a very small camera with an easy to use touch screen interface.

Intimidated using it. She's never really bonded with Nikon. Think the D200 was a bit too much of a jump and quite heavy so she stopped using it.

But yes you both have a point about going for a more basic nikon

If you want canon, go canon as you may always think that way! But it's worth checking out the Nikon ones before jumping ship!

Interested to know what that is. I have about 5 near perfect bags!

Tenba DNA 11. Never heard of them before but was pointed them out by members on here. It's the little touches that make it quite impressive to work with! So much so I'm thinking of trying the DNA 8 too for when taking out less (but might not be deep enough lol).

Anyone know what the modern day equivalent to the canon eos 300d would be?

Seems a bit of an odd move to me, but you pays your money and takes your choice. Nikon generally make better sensors for a given price point, but if you prefer using Canon that's more important.

A lot of modern cameras have full auto, full manual and everything in between, and not just entry level stuff either.

Might be worth looking at micro four thirds (M43) in that case - smaller and lighter than APS-C and works fine for point & shoot. Bought my wife an Olympus E-M10 earlier in the year, and it has a P&S mode that combines with the electronic viewfinder to let her see exactly what she's taking.

If I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, I'd advise handling a number of cameras before making a decision.
This helps even more when using a heavier lens.
2nd hand sounds a good bet, having used Park Cameras, MPB & Wex.

Why not buy your wife another camera more suitable to her needs and stick with what you have? It'll probably be a lot cheaper and avoid a whole new learning phase.
Anyone know what the modern day equivalent to the canon eos 300d would be?

The 700D, 750D, but basically anything secondhand 550D-600D upwards would probably do.
But as you know, it's not the body per se, but the lenses. 15-85 is a great walkabout lens for a canon crop body.

Might look at picking up a D3200 or 3300 bidy and see how we (she) get(s) on with that.

If sticking with a DSLR then stick to the same brand so she can share lenses, flashguns etc is always handy, plus you know where to look at things in the menu etc, you're familiar with the system

However, depending on her requirements, a smaller camera may suit, and provide additional capabilities at other times. As well as my DSLR, we have a waterproof compact, a decent small compact camera which goes into the pocket and is better than our phone cameras. It might be a 4/3rds would suit.

If sticking with a DSLR then stick to the same brand so she can share lenses, flashguns etc is always handy, plus you know where to look at things in the menu etc, you're familiar with the system

However, depending on her requirements, a smaller camera may suit, and provide additional capabilities at other times. As well as my DSLR, we have a waterproof compact, a decent small compact camera which goes into the pocket and is better than our phone cameras. It might be a 4/3rds would suit.

Yes it's the main DSLR we are looking at replacing. Also have a Fuji X10, and a little Panasonic for handbag duty. But thinking about it, maybe a more modern but simpler Nikon dslr would do the trick. If I buy bod only, I can keep one set up with the 18-200 and one set up with the 35mm or 18-55..

Just had a look at and handled the Nikon D3300 and I prefer the feel of it to the Canon 750 D even so might be worth a try.

Frankly almost ANY digital camera these days will give you excellent photos depending on your type of photos and you know what you're doing.

The only caveat is that the better the lens the more you can do.

Just had a look at and handled the Nikon D3300 and I prefer the feel of it to the Canon 750 D even so might be worth a try.

The D5300 is about the same size, slightly heavier, has an articulating screen if you're into that sort of thing.

Took this this morning with D5300 on the ground.

Dq6IlkHe4PE9QDKvl0w3uiWw7xIIHBIPaY3jTyCXKv9JJme5X0xulRSM4FtSdkdiyyOYPWuWCdptH_EGDUwW2fZz1I1yTxX4gPP7qbOoWXQNNxZyNX8_VsiE2hXnzIEL5wvXBTcSrXDQ8TXNcx5Rcdr5d79q103uXaaiwLcj2xN0z6IjcwEVfz7ZpKamfJiabQFADBx_XuxGTlqdTZAyKiRQzE1wVfbxeHeVKvtdIcTwXCCLr30oY9YMDiwArim9NBf-8ge7TJLdJ_S9U_8vlgFxVxjZiequEfN2b-9ZO_x66Hn_RkAiP-R87V65JMK5MIcfm0gdP45XVURK-SMPfyQAGCnZQh_tXNSF76IEgeIiqjbne7fE3xaJcQNf4iWLz15kXQMeOnCOKe6tRq9ZslCaUplxJbsfKUEXCD5aOfTuewgaLWQUcx4IoQ89IlWwE8WrEdVsi4N-QuoX5gk8P8lbH5AfbatKoGDNbwk_678KmWgy_sYIXTQUde8JMDcwPSfjFKwG2z2P4GxLo--wjKSDPQJLJfzNn2LbpYhhRjSWyJlZXsN0MTwA7x7owCdYYMllErevo5K6x85D-uaB7sKqj46DWd41Fupmf0Y-PrLocYmG2kvDN-NNxtnzKwVcGmLkD2vD1erXVxvvVJxwWQ0RYvSgdwuKL1jfRpghPw=w815-h609-no

Yes it's the main DSLR we are looking at replacing. Also have a Fuji X10, and a little Panasonic for handbag duty. But thinking about it, maybe a more modern but simpler Nikon dslr would do the trick. If I buy bod only, I can keep one set up with the 18-200 and one set up with the 35mm or 18-55..

I have the Fuji X10 and the Nikon D3300 with the kit lens and the 35 mm 1.8G. I use the X10 more because it is compact and easier to carry. But the image quality is not the best, and suffers at high ISO. The image quality from the D3300 is very good, even at high ISO. Even with the Nikon kit lens, fitted to the D3300, I get very good images. Only limiting factor I feel, is it only has eleven focus points, mainly towards the centre of the frame.

The D3300, is also a nice neat small body.

You might want to get a little Nikon mirrorless with pancake lens for the handbag.

Existing lenses plus adapter in the backpack.

I wouldn't switch brands as Nikons generally have better dynamic range than Canon. I know a few people fed up of their Canon DR and who have either switched or are planning to switch to Nikon or Sony. The D7200 is basically the new version of the D90, they are very good cameras and actually easy to use, only need to read the manual if struggling. You could always buy your wife a decent compact?

Funnily enough was just looking at the d7200. Some of my lenses (50mm and 70-300) are not af-s so would also work on the D7200. Will have a look at that too.

What you or your wife don't like about Nikon that makes you want to get a Canon. Personally I won't bother switching to Canon unless is dramatic upgrade like going to FF because all your lens except the 50mm won't work on Nikon FF. If you just want another lower end body I won't bother.

Funnily enough was just looking at the d7200. Some of my lenses (50mm and 70-300) are not af-s so would also work on the D7200. Will have a look at that too.
If the D90 intimidates your wife, I would assume the D7200 would also intimidate her.

Thanks yes will need to look at a few. Might have to look at a 2nd body rather. New wife is not an option [emoji23]

I wouldn't switch brands as Nikons generally have better dynamic range than Canon.

It's a scoring point certainly and in certain circumstance important, but generally? People are still producing amazing images with much older cameras of all makes with these 'liabilities' that people like to bring up.

You'll never get an answer purely based on facts on this question as a Nikon owner will always make biased opinion based statements on why Nikons are better and vice versa for Canon owners.

It's a scoring point certainly and in certain circumstance important, but generally? People are still producing amazing images with much older cameras of all makes with these 'liabilities' that people like to bring up.

Agreed, it doesnt matter if there a slight improvement in dynamic range if you dont turn the camera on and use it ;)

When I first switched from film to digital I bought a Nikon, but just didnt enjoy using it.
Took it back to the shop after a month or so, with the intention of going back to film, but picked up a Canon 300D and that was it, it just felt right and have been with Canon ever since.
My brother has a D7100 and though I have tried to like it, I'm always pleased to hand it back to him.
Sometimes it just works out that way :)

This is true but if you're serious about landscapes for example then dynamic range is important. You generally need to edit in raw to get the most from that benefit though

This is true but if you're serious about landscapes for example then dynamic range is important. You generally need to edit in raw to get the most from that benefit though

Just goes to show how we are all different, I shoot landscapes mainly and never had any problems with Canon's dynamic range, in fact rarely do much editing, preferring to get the look I want in camera.
There is no one way fits all in photography.

Last edited:
Well, I'd say the light is important, the location, the composition etc. It's about the image after all. Then the lens would probably make more difference to the image.
People get too hung up on camera technicalities and features. It's a tool.

As a tool, you'll find serious landscape people have always found ways around limitations, bracketing, combining images, HDR etc

Just goes to show how we are all different, I shout landscapes mainly and never had any problems with Canon's dynamic range, in fact rarely do much editing, preferring to get the look I want in camera.

Correct. I should have also said it doesn't make sense to switch because the OP has quite a lot of Nikon lenses, and is a Canon really easier to use? Probably not, it takes practice getting to know any camera.

Well, I'd say the light is important, the location, the composition etc. It's about the image after all. Then the lens would probably make more difference to the image.

As a tool, you'll find serious landscape people have always found ways around limitations, bracketing, combining images, HDR etc

Yes it's all about the image, never said otherwise. To be honest I'm not that interested in gear but am a fairly serious landscape photographer, won a category in LPOTY, also other commendations in that and OPOTY. Some other photographers I know aren't happy about Canon DR which is all I'm saying

Agreed, it doesnt matter if there a slight improvement in dynamic range if you dont turn the camera on and use it ;)

When I first switched from film to digital I bought a Nikon, but just didnt enjoy using it.
Took it back to the shop after a month or so, with the intention of going back to film, but picked up a Canon 300D and that was it, it just felt right and have been with Canon ever since.
My brother has a D7100 and though I have tried to like it, I'm always pleased to hand it back to him.
Sometimes it just works out that way :)

Just goes to show how we are all different, I shout landscapes mainly and never had any problems with Canon's dynamic range, in fact rarely do much editing, preferring to get the look I want in camera.

Correct. I should have also said it doesn't make sense to switch because the OP has quite a lot of Nikon lenses, and is a Canon really easier to use? Probably not, it takes practice getting to know any camera.

Yes it's all about the image, never said otherwise. To be honest I'm not that interested in gear but am a fairly serious landscape photographer, won a category in LPOTY, also other commendations in that and OPOTY. Some other photographers I know aren't happy about Canon DR which is all I'm saying

I think above all having a camera that is comfortable and 'fun' to use is of primary importance, far more important than the best technical specs. Most modern cameras are capable of producing stunning images and I see all the time people saying their camera just doesn't get used because they don't enjoy using it. I've a recent spell of folk who've just bought the latest greatest Fuji (XT2) and ended up selling it again as they prefer the XT1. So it's all about having the equipment that you enjoy.

Yes Nikon (well Sony) are making better sensors than Canon at the moment, and I do speak to a number of Canon users on a weekly basis who complain about Canon in this dept and say if they weren't so heavily invested in Canon they'd swap to Nikon, but I think it's a case of the grass is always greener as there are many Nikon users (myself included) that have considered switching to Canon at some point for one reason or another. The truth is as mentioned above, light, lenses, subject, composition etc make far far more of a difference than 2ev more DR for example.

That being said, if you are a landscape photographer for example and you genuinely have no preference of the handling of Nikon or Canon (or other brands) then you probably would choose Nikon as why not have that extra DR and make your life a bit easier. I must admit it is nice not having to bracket images anymore and being able to extract superb noise free detail out of the shadows. So specs shouldn't be neglected, but they should be towards the bottom of the list when choosing a camera/system imo. YMMV.

Why don't you buy a his and hers? At the end of the day if you are both out only one can use the camera at a given time.

I dont understand how a new dslr will be any less intimidating than a d90 - they haven't changed much and if anything all have more features than they did 8/9 years ago . - and the d90 has scene modes and full auto.

Therefore the only way to find something less intimidating would have to be down to how she feels with the camera in her hands, so going to a well stocked camera shop and trying them has to be the only option.

Back