Advice please, switching from nikon to canon.

I dont understand how a new dslr will be any less intimidating than a d90 - they haven't changed much and if anything all have more features than they did 8/9 years ago . - and the d90 has scene modes and full auto.

Therefore the only way to find something less intimidating would have to be down to how she feels with the camera in her hands, so going to a well stocked camera shop and trying them has to be the only option.
Chatted more about it. The intimidation part is if she pics up the camera to use it and I have say changed the iso and the white balance when using it previously. She's quite happy shooting with it in aperture or shutter priority etc and does not need portrait or any other scene mode for example. I guess it's just the sharing thing. We used to have our own film slrs and when we went to digital we bought one together. His and hers definitely looking an option or something like a D7100 which has user 1 and user 2 settings. It would be a shame to have to start all over with lenses and flash etc and some of the lenses would not work on a D3200 or other lower spec camera without the motor built in.

I gues deep down I also fancy something with better iso performance and they seem to have come a long way since the D90..

Chatted more about it. The intimidation part is if she pics up the camera to use it and I have say changed the iso and the white balance when using it previously. She's quite happy shooting with it in aperture or shutter priority etc and does not need portrait or any other scene mode for example. I guess it's just the sharing thing. We used to have our own film slrs and when we went to digital we bought one together. His and hers definitely looking an option or something like a D7100 which has user 1 and user 2 settings. It would be a shame to have to start all over with lenses and flash etc and some of the lenses would not work on a D3200 or other lower spec camera without the motor built in.

I gues deep down I also fancy something with better iso performance and they seem to have come a long way since the D90..

So, she just needs to learn how to use it for herself is really what you mean... if she can't change the ISO to work with what she's shooting, then get her a body of her own and stick it in auto with a set ISO then you can just get what you want from a camera for yourself :)

His and hers definitely looking an option or something like a D7100 which has user 1 and user 2 settings. It would be a shame to have to start all over with lenses and flash etc and some of the lenses would not work on a D3200 or other lower spec camera without the motor built in.

D7100 is what "you" may want ... user1 and user2 settings is a convenient excuse. She might not need multiple lenses or longer than not zooms etc. It depends on what she wants - unless you are doing the thinking for her - one lens and one camera may be just enough and she could take photos she would be happy with whilst you could go on collecting kit thinking it will produce better photographs.

EDIT. for example, the non-existent yet (if ever) Nikon DLs sound pretty good, and you can go get your D7100 or D7200 :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have decided to stick with the D90 for a bit.

Check out the Fuji X Series as one last option. Used bodies are cheap, lenses are the best on the market and it's small

Back