Advice please.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi y'all

I am rekindling my love affair with photography and need advice on what camera and lens to buy.

Budget is 1k max.

I am mainly interested in portraiture, street photography, live bands, canine photography, architecture and lastly landscapes.

I prefer nikon but am open to suggestions.

1 camera and 1 lens (more if in budget), what's your thoughts.

Cheers.

Last edited:
are you looking to buy new or 2nd hand? You will get a lot more for your money 2nd hand - however it also comes with the obvious cons... (personally I would go 2nd hand from sites such as WEX or London Camera Exchange or the classified section on this site)

As for what camera - it depends on what you would like to shoot? I dont hear many complaints about nikons d7000 series if you want to stay with a cropped sensor. you can pick them up really reasonable now and you would have enough money to put a decent lens on the front of it too

Im sure you would get more advise on this if you let people know what type of thing you were looking to shoot

hope this helps

J

Hi mate.

Looking to shoot mainly portraits, street photography and live bands.

Difficult one this as the Nikon D7100 would be my obvious choice, but for street some prefer CSC's as they're more discreet. I assume for live bands you will be pretty close to the action as you say you're only budgeting for one lens and street/portrait lenses tend to be on the shorter side?

Hi y'all

I am rekindling my love affair with photography and need advice on what camera and lens to buy.

Budget is 1k max.

I am mainly interested in portraiture, street photography, live bands, canine photography, architecture and lastly landscapes.

I prefer nikon but am open to suggestions.

1 camera and 1 lens (more if in budget), what's your thoughts.

Cheers.

Have you considered M4/3, don't knock it.

That's quite a range of subjects to fit into one lens. The live bands probably will mean you'll need something pretty fast so I'd probably suggest a Nikon 17-55 2.8 or even better, a Sigma 18-35 1.8. The former is probably more suited to shooting dogs though as you'll get a bit more distance to your subject. Buying either option used should leave plenty of change for a used D7000 or D7100.

D2x? Or too old hat?

Yes, very old hat and hopeless in low light - so definitely one to avoid.

Have you considered the Fuji system? I'm thinking either XT1 or X Pro 1; with the latter, you'd get a good second hand body and 2-3 great lenses for your £1,000. The system is pretty versatile and discreet, and either camera will produce terrific files. Definitely worth a look, IMHO.

Have you considered the Fuji system? I'm thinking either XT1 or X Pro 1; with the latter, you'd get a good second hand body and 2-3 great lenses for your £1,000. The system is pretty versatile and discreet, and either camera will produce terrific files. Definitely worth a look, IMHO.
Thanks dude. I'll have a look into them.

That's quite a range of subjects to fit into one lens. The live bands probably will mean you'll need something pretty fast so I'd probably suggest a Nikon 17-55 2.8 or even better, a Sigma 18-35 1.8. The former is probably more suited to shooting dogs though as you'll get a bit more distance to your subject. Buying either option used should leave plenty of change for a used D7000 or D7100.

:agree:

How would they stack up against a d300 or d7000/71000

Back