Advice please

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
My Father has a Sony A77 MK2 and has A mount lenses,he's tempted by a Sony A7 MK2 but is unsure if he can use his A mount lenses with some sort of adapter.
All advice appreciated.

Yes, the Sony A-mount to E-mount adapters will work. A-mount screw drive lenses will need the LEA4 adapter for AF.

To elaborate on what Chris has written.

If the lenses he has have in-lens motors (SSM or SAM for Sony lenses, HSM for Sigma, USM for Tamron) then he can use the LEA3 adaptor - this will simply convert the A7ii AF instructions, and the lens will use the full set of AF modes on the A7ii

On the other hand, if they are the older style screw-drive lenses, then he will need an LEA4 adaptor - this provides BOTH the AF motor AND the AF system (via a translucent mirror similar to that in the A77ii) - so although he will gain the benefit of the A7ii FF sensor, the AF will be limited to that offered by the LEA4 (you can also use the LEA4 on lenses with in-lens motors, but are better off using an LEA3 as you get better AF options and don't have the 1/3 stop light loss from the translucent mirror).

Thank you both for your valued and informative replies I shall pass them on.
Cheers

Back