Advice required from experienced home developers

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I started home developing about 18 months ago and things have been going well but just recently I have been having problems in the changing bag. For the last few films, when winding the film on to the spiral reels they start getting stuck about two thirds of the way in, so I am having to take the film off the spiral and start again, sometimes taking three attempts. I am using the plastic spirals that came with my Patterson tank (2x35mm or 1x120 size). I am assuming that there may be some residue build up in the spiral, though I normally rinse thoroughly and dry before putting away, and there is usually at least a week between uses.

Is there a safe way to lubricate the spirals with maybe talc or thin oil that won't affect the film? Any advice appreciated.

Fabric softener!

I'm not an experienced home developer but following a recommendation I saw on the web somewhere when I had the same problem, scrubbing the reels well with a brush in a mixture of water and fabric softener after use has solved the problem of difficult loading for me.

Edited to add: also ensure reels thoroughly dry before loading and warmed up to room temp before use if stored in a cold room/cupboard to avoid condensation as the changing bag warms up quickly.

Last edited:
I always go over the spirals with a clean dry toothbrush before use and it seems to work. I would be wary of introducing things like fabric softener in case any residual ends up on the negative and causes spots etc during processing

I tend to always snip the corners off the film before threading it in. Sometimes when you cut the film, the sprocket hole position when you make the cut can leave a tiny bit of film hanging off that then gets stuck. In the dark bag, I push the corner into my finger, then use my finger as a guide so snip off a tiny bit.

I also put reels through the dishwasher once in a while. No clue whether I should or not, but I've had no problems with it :)

I find that the humidity caused by having my arms in a lined black bag is enough to cause the emulsion to become sticky.
It's an even bigger problem during the few hot spells we get in the UK.

As others have said, stay away from oils, detergent or powders.

Harlequin also uses the snipped corners method which worked well for me.

I find that the humidity caused by having my arms in a lined black bag is enough to cause the emulsion to become sticky.
I also have this problem. To which neither talc or oil would be helpful. It would feel nice though... Although that's another thread. For another forum.

The basic rule with Patterson reels (and similar) is to get them scrupulously dry before use. I keep mine in the airing cupboard, which works well. A film dryer works even better...

Film developing kit D600 D60_4990.jpg

I wouldn't scrub them with a brush or anything like that, because they rely on being smooth, to reduce friction during the pull part of the action.

I cut the corners too. I usually put the leader on the reel in daylight too before transferring the reel into the changing bag - it's much easier.

Another tip is to gently pull the two sides of the reel away from one another when you're winding. It gives the film a tiny bit of extra wiggle room.

I wash my reels in warm water and washing up liquid as soon as I've finished using them, using a dishcloth and an old toothbrush. Then I let them dry thoroughly before putting them away.

Last edited:
I should have said that I snip the corners, ensuring that it is between the sprocket holes, to avoid snagging points. I must admit it has been mainly in the warm weather and it has got a bit humid in the bag. Are there metal reels that fit Patterson?

I should have said that I snip the corners, ensuring that it is between the sprocket holes, to avoid snagging points. I must admit it has been mainly in the warm weather and it has got a bit humid in the bag. Are there metal reels that fit Patterson?
Not that I know of, anyway metal spirals can be a whole world of pain until you are used to using them.

The current warm weather and sweaty hands were my first thought, as for washing plastic spirals I just wash in hot water and leave to dry on the draining board for a couple of days in the winter or overnight in the summer.

Was often a problem for me in warm/humid weather. I now only use stainless steel tanks with centre loading spirals. As Keith says they can be a pain until you are used to them. There are loaders around which are supposed to help but the few times I tried one of these I found it no better than just squeezing the film between thunb and forefinger. If I remember rightly Paterson used to make optional centre loading spirals for System 4 tanks but I have not come across one for many years.

I started off trying to load reels in a darkbag. As it was all new to me it took me that long the humidity increase made loading even worse. I now have the luxury of a darkroom so loading is so much easier.

I only wash reels in washing up water, rinse in cold water then air dry. On the rare occasions I've needed to use a reel quickly after washing I've used a hair dryer on it.

I use a Rondinax or a Lab-box, no loading problems for me! ;)

Possibly worth a try as it's totally free, but I hold the left of the reel static and only use the right hand side to wind the film on. This has made a difference to me compared to when I used to twist both sides.

Hewes make, (or used to), metal reels for Paterson tanks; presumably using the Paterson centre column. Probably won't be cheap as their 'standard' reels used in steel tanks are over 30 quid. (No pound sign on my Aussie keyboard).

I have used Paterson reels and tanks for 35mm for nearly 50 years with only the occasional problem with film sticking while loading in a changing bag. In my early days I would load the reels at night in my bedroom after blocking light leaks into the room. Less problem with build up of humidity causing film to stick when using a changing bag.

120 film always gave me problems with Paterson reels so I bought a couple of Hewes stainless reels and a stainless tank. Did a lot of practising with a sacrificial film to develop the 'muscle memory' to load the Hewes reel and I'm now very happy with them. Still have the sacrificial film to practise with if I haven't shot a 120 film in several months before committing myself to the changing bag with the film to be developed.

Using anything like drying agent/ or fairy liquid causes problems with plastic spools.

I learn't to use stainless steel spools at school so dont have the problems auto load plastic reals have with jamming

Takes me back to when I first developed film (1965) and used to load my Paterson (Bakelite) tank under the bedclothes. I don't remeber ever having a film sticking due to humidity. I have, lately, however, had this happen on hot days in a changing bag. I suppose that the material used in the changing bag is synthetic and non-permeable so allows humidity to soar. Back in the day, bedclothes were cotton sheets and woolen blankets, both of which are permaeble and absorbed the moisture. Load under bedclothes? Does it still work with polyester sheets and duvets?

Once, I was having awful trouble loading a plastic spiral, I had the film half on and half off a dozen or so times, I rounded the film corners several times on both ends of the film, tried to load with both ends but to no avail, it just kept jamming.
Anyway, in a furious fit I blamed the film and chucked it.
Some weeks later I was doing another soup session and had the same problem, so I tried to load it with scrap film in the light.
Turns out I'd dried this particular spiral with a hair dryer some weeks previously and melted it so subtly you couldn't hardly tell till you tried to get film on it.
So that went in the bin too...:confused:

Turns out I'd dried this particular spiral with a hair dryer some weeks previously and melted it so subtly you couldn't hardly tell till you tried to get film on it.
That's why I use the dryer shown at #8 which blows room temperature air over the film and spiral. They can be difficult to find these days but well worth it if you're doing 35mm or 120.

Back