Advice - sigma 120 - 300 f2.8

Name
Denis
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for some advice on perhaps a change of lens.

I'm using a Sigma 100 - 300 f4 for mainly daytime motorsport and I am well pleased with it.

Considering selling the 100 - 300 f4 to but the Sigma 120 - 300 f2.8 as I'll be taking images in the evening without flash.

My main issue is that this lens (120 - 300) would be handheld.

Any users out there comment on hand holding this lens for say 1 1/2 hours?

Can't see any other alternative lens really (Canon 7D) - all the images I've seen online look very good - as is the 100 - 300 , but I'll need the f2.8

Thats a long time to hold such a heavy lens. I can get away with 30 mins but things get shakey after that. (subject to who is holding it!)

I'd recommend a monopod.

Last edited:
Go to the Gym 3 times a week,

or take heed of Levi's advice the 120-300 f2.8 is a heavy, very heavy lump...

Al'

Canon 300mm f2.8 the same weight, no problems, just done 3 days at an airshow with it...., but you could as suggested us a monopod if your taking motorsport shots

This was hand held at around 200mm. But I would still recommend a monopod as its bloody heavy.

IMG_5576.jpg

Where in the country are you ?

I use my 120-300mm for rugby matches (ie 80 minutes at a time), never use a monopod as it gets in the way. You get used to the weight eventually!

Cheers, would mainly be used for motorcycle racing and speedway. So the lens would be raised up for a burst of shots and then down at my side (using the R Strap, which works really well with the 100 -300).

Think I'll give this a try.

Based near Swansea

Are I am the other end of wales. If you was near to me I would have meet you to let you try it for awhile.

Last edited:
1 1/2 hours?

I was using mine on a D3 from 10.00AM till 4.00 PM yesterday at an equestrian event :D 1 1/2 hours should be fine :)

Cheers, would mainly be used for motorcycle racing and speedway. So the lens would be raised up for a burst of shots and then down at my side (using the R Strap, which works really well with the 100 -300).

Think I'll give this a try.

Based near Swansea
Im in neath regularly if that helps and you want a try with the lens...PM me if you wish...

again, 5 days at an airshow with a 300 2.8 prime...Knackered but do-able

Sorry but it really is relative to the person holding it... It is a heavy lens.. had one for a long time and always used a monopod just for ease of use.. I know people who couldnt hand hold it if they wanted to and people who wouldnt flinch at holding it all day... it depends on the person not the lens :)

The 120-300 is easily handheld, in comparison to others lenses.

Used mine for the 8 hours of RIAT last weekend with a 1.4x tc attached to a 7D. Obviously this is in bursts and a long tracking session is not easy but it is doable. But I agree with the above, it depends on the user, I am a larger lad so although heavy it's not to much of a problem.

Find yourself a bumbag that the end of a monopod would fit into snugly, they usualy have a nice wide strap so dont cut into you. Use this as a belt support taking the overall weight of camera and lens, you have plenty of free movement , and you'll find you could take pics all day like this. I have used an old metal /leather covered lens case and a suitcase strap. I use this with my Sigma 50-500/Canon doing equestrian and it does the job a treat. If Im walking across fields I just twist it around and the lens leans on my shoulder.

Have you held one?
It's a big beast!!
I had a shot last week and it was difficult to hold steady (hand held) at 300mm.
You would no doubt get used to it.

Linky

I was using mine on a D3 from 10.00AM till 4.00 PM yesterday at an equestrian event :D 1 1/2 hours should be fine :)

Yeah, but realistically you would have held it up for about 10seconds then put it down again for 2minutes until the next rider came.

It depends whether you are going to be holding it up to your eye for 1.5hours or whether it's short bursts.

I tried using mine handheld for some shots today and it's very possible, but it depends on how steady your hands are.......mine are shakey so I put it back on a monopod! (y)

Yeah, but realistically you would have held it up for about 10seconds then put it down again for 2minutes until the next rider came.

It depends whether you are going to be holding it up to your eye for 1.5hours or whether it's short bursts.

I tried using mine handheld for some shots today and it's very possible, but it depends on how steady your hands are.......mine are shakey so I put it back on a monopod! (y)

true, ish :)

I chucked it on a monopod for the dressage but handheld for the showjumping and x-country. You don't really get a break at the showjumping although you certainly do x-country ;)

Agree with all the others here; a solid (and I mean solid) four hours holding/waving around shooting Ospreys last week and yes, you noticed it but nowhere near the way I did with my Nikon 200-400mm on the same event last year! Seriously, find something suitable to rest it with (monopod if that doesn't get in the way) or even a groundsheet - but always remember it's a different league weight-wise to a 100-300mm f/4!

Enjoy this great lens when you get it

I used to have a 100-300 and thought it was a pretty big heavy lens. Ha! Little did I know. I just bought a 400 2.8 and the thing is just a beast. The 120-300 is not bad relatively, but a monopod would make all the difference for you.

Bear in mind when hand holding monster weight lenses, all the weight is being taken up by the flimsy body lens mount, ive seen 2 300mm lenses on the floor with half the bodies mount on the end, a monopod reduces the risk.

Back