Advice - smudged focus screen (500D)

magicaxeman

An Idiot
Edit My Images
No
I noticed some persistent dust on my focus screen today and like an idiot decided to try and clean it, the net result is one smudged focus screen!

Luckily the AF points are working fine, but its horrible to look through.

Has anyone got any advice as how to clean it? or is it a send it in to canon for repair/service?

Camera is a canon 500D.

It is possible to buy an aftermarket screen and DIY replacement seems reasonably straightforward, it's probably going to be hardest to source a cheap replacement.

Replacement screen

Instructions

If you are confident enough, might be worth removing to properly check the extent it's damaged.

Edit

Original screen for £15 on Amazon.

Last edited:
The focus screen has LOADS of ridges....touching it means these ridges catches more dirt...

"Easiest" solution is to replace it.

What did you use to clean it? I have successfully cleaned mine before using sensor cleaning fluid and swabs as they are lint free and the fluid evaporates quickly. But as mentioned your fingers should stay well away.

Advice for the future - never touch the focusing screen - ever!! This will quite often be the result, whatever you use.

A rocket blower will normally shift crud from the focusing screen and mirror.

Thanks all, I tried using a lens pen.. big mistake, I then used a sensor swab but that just made matters worse.

Lesson learned, I will get a new screen fitted when I can afford it and get a full service at the same time, but at least it doesn't affect the images, just my view through the finder.

Back