Advice wanted about printing please

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I did ask this a few months ago in a printing thread but didn't receive a reply so I need to ask here as I really would love to get some of my photos printed but know nothing about it.

I've never ever had a photograph of my own printed before so I'm very unsure as to how large I can print to. I've just upgraded to my Canon 80D but before that my first DSLR was a Canon 700D.

If, for example I wanted to get the following photo printed onto canvas or framed, what would be the largest sized print I could choose before quality degredation?

Thanks for any advice.

Photo is in 16x9 format.

Misty Trail by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Joel

Last edited:
The accepted advice is you need a print resolution of 300 PPI. Your 80D produces images with 6000 by 4000 pixels. Dividing one into the other gives you 20 inches by 13 inches.

Personally, I am happy with a print resolution of 200 PPI to give a print size of 30 inches by 20 inches as a picture that large is usually viewed from a largish distance.

Canvass prints hide a multitude of sins and you could probably go higher.

if your picture was produced on the 700D, the max size will be smaller but the maths is the same - divide the pixels your sensor produces by 300 to give a size in inches.

Last edited:
The accepted advice is you need a print resolution of 300 PPI. Your 80D produces images with 6000 by 4000 pixels. Dividing one into the other gives you 20 inches by 13 inches.

Personally, I am happy with a print resolution of 200 PPI to give a print size of 30 inches by 20 inches as a picture that large is usually viewed from a largish distance.

Canvass prints hide a multitude of sins and you could probably go higher.

Thanks for the quick reply- The above image was taken, infact, all of my photos have been taken with my 700D, only been to an airshow the other weekend with my 80D so do you how what I could print to from the 700D sensor?

I'm afraid not as I do not know the pixel resolution of the 700D sensor. But see my edit above (while you were posting!). You will certainly be OK unto A3, mind because I used to print from my 650D at that size.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not as I do not know the pixel resolution of the 700D sensor. But see my edit above (while you were posting!). You will certainly be OK unto A3, mind because I used to print from my 650D at that size.

A3 I'd be very happy with. Nice sized print imo. When printing from your 650 were you able to at 300 dpi ?

The websites of the printing firms are good at explaining the resolution required for a given sized print. Most of them have an upload tool which will tell you if the resultion is insufficient.

I don't know much about printing (well next to nothing really) but if the original image has been cropped, wouldn't this have an effect on the quality of print.

looks like getting photo paper prints compared to canvas is a considerably cheaper. but i guess i'd need to buy a frame for a 20x16 print too..

looks like getting photo paper prints compared to canvas is a considerably cheaper. but i guess i'd need to buy a frame for a 20x16 print too..

Yes, and that might cost as much as the canvas print, or more.

I use snapmad.com, and when they have a reduced price deal (about half the time) then they're very good value. Quality seems OK, and certainly comparable with another printer that advertises on here.

A lot of my landscape photos are 16x9 aspect ratio. I guess that the wide format prints dscl offer are for this kind of aspect ratio?

Quality-wise, why don't you just get a trial print made?

DSCL prints are so cheap and in my experience the quality is so reliable that you will only lose a few quid if you're not happy with the result.

Their website will tell you all about resolution etc. Once you have uploaded the pic you can get a message telling you if the file is suitable for printing at the size you have ordered..

For best results download their print profile, install it into your software and export the file through that.

(Other printers may follow the same procedure but DSCL is the one I have experience with.)

I had one of my own put on canvas to hang on our wall. Most places work off Jpeg photos, but I found one that works off RAW photos and well pleased with the result. I had to go with a disk with the RAW file on it for them to work with. Not cheap but came framed so can't complain

Last edited:
I just tried uploading an image of mine from Iceland in 30x20 laminate mounted with DSCL and it says "145 DPI - Poor Quality" with a 300 DPI exported photo. I thought printing 30x20 would be ok ?

I had one of my own put on canvas to hang on our wall. Most places work off Jpeg photos, but I found one that works off RAW photos and well pleased with the result. I had to go with a disk with the RAW file on it for them to work with. Not cheap but came framed so can't complain

Why would you want to print from a RAW file, though?

That really depends on what the our want the final product to be. Pro photo mounts by Marrutt are also an option. Similar to a canvas style but with a photo
http://www.marrutt.com/presentation/marrutt-pro-photomounts

Have you tried this product yourself? Wondering what peoples opinions were of it. I'm currently looking to offer framing/mounting for my ordered prints and thought I had it all sussed out, now I have seen this, thanks @ecoleman lol!
I admit it does look a nice halfway house between framing and canvas, wonder if buyers like this style though?

Regards
Geoff

Have you tried this product yourself? Wondering what peoples opinions were of it. I'm currently looking to offer framing/mounting for my ordered prints and thought I had it all sussed out, now I have seen this, thanks @ecoleman lol!
I admit it does look a nice halfway house between framing and canvas, wonder if buyers like this style though?

Regards
Geoff

I haven't tried them....yet.
We've just bought a house and will be using these to hang some of my photos in my new office.

I think the problem with offering frames for customers is that a) it can be expensive and drives up the cost and b) the frame may not be to the customers taste.

Last edited:
Totally agree, my customers seem to prefer a traditional frame on the prints, but like you said ti ramps up the price and I'm sure on occasion, the frames get replaced with something more suitable by the customer once the product gets home so to speak.
I do like the idea of non glazing however, but wondered if the adhesive on the photomounts gives up after a while leaving the owners with a curling edge or worse.

Might have to do some product research and order myself one for an A3

But don't you export your file as a jpeg or a tiff first? You know........ a RAW file being a digital negativeand all that"?

Printing from a raw file isn't going to get you any better results than printing from a jpg or tiff. The printer just doesn't have the gamut.
The vast majority of my landscapes have been edited in photoshop in some way or another. That automatically converts them to PSD or TIFF.

Or, in my case exporting them from Lightroom. So they aren't RAW files any longer.....are they?

They are not.
Sorry I quoted your post in error. I'm actually with you on this.

You can print from a raw file and I do, if it was just a quick and easy LR edit, but most of my work is put through PS at some point.

If I get an 18x12 inch print laminated and mounted from DSCL how do I then go about framing it ? Just simply buy an 18x12" frame if they exist?

If I get an 18x12 inch print laminated and mounted from DSCL how do I then go about framing it ? Just simply buy an 18x12" frame if they exist?

Is the mount also 18x12? Do you require a border?

If you want a framed print then I recommend https://www.frames.co.uk/made-to-measure-picture-frames

Just get a print done from DSCL, then visit the site above. You can upload your image which helps you choose the right mounts and frame. Enter the image size information and order.

A few days later your custom frame arrives ready for you to mount your photo.

If you want a framed print then I recommend https://www.frames.co.uk/made-to-measure-picture-frames

Just get a print done from DSCL, then visit the site above. You can upload your image which helps you choose the right mounts and frame. Enter the image size information and order.

A few days later your custom frame arrives ready for you to mount your photo.

Thanks. So I buy a non laminated or mounted print from DSCL and then how do I get the print into the frame when that arrives?

I'm confused - do I buy a laminated and mounted print from DSCL and then just buy the frame from frames with no mount, and then pop the mount into the frame, needing a staple gun to attach the two together?

Thanks. So I buy a non laminated or mounted print from DSCL and then how do I get the print into the frame when that arrives?

You just need a print from dscl. If you're going to mount behind glass or Perspex then print on lustre paper to avoid glare. Not sure why you would want a laminated print.

You just open the back of the frame and mount your photo to the mount boards. Then close it all up again.

Just measure and remeasure to make sure you get the right sizes of mounts, allowing some overlap to actually mount the photo.

Alternatively, I had some prints mounted on Diabond and hung them directly on the wall as I prefer not to use frames.

Back