Advice wanted from Canon Pixma PRO-100S owners

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
So I just grabbed one of these at auction (I still need to collect it) as I plan to start printing more at home and the 'up to A3' seems a great range. It comes with OEM inks so assuming I haven't bought a dud then it should be good to go.

Any advice on setup, tips on configuring and any papers you have found it really doesn't like?

I'll be connecting it wirelessly to my Windows 10 Machine and we have a decent wireless connection/speed in the room it will be in.

Thanks.

Used to have a Pro-100

Decent Photo Paper feed from the rear not the top.

Decent 3rd party ink (refillable system) from OctoInkJet

Plenty of video's on Jose Rodriguez channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA

Start here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV7cqqladQ

My personal preference if printing from Lightroom or Photoshop is to use the Canon Print Studio Pro Plug-In

Thank you, it helps to get direction as to who on YouTube is worth looking at.

Feeding from the rear is good to know before I set it up such that the rear would not be accessible.

On that note, I have no bloody idea where I am going to put it. It's pretty big I think :D

I now have a Pro-1000 which dwarves the PRO-100, but it does accept decent paper from teh top, so actually needs less space behind it!

I'm ignoring any posts that may result in me spending more money :LOL: :sneaky:

I got the 100S for £110 plus auctioneers fees of £26 so that was a bargain and still more than I should be spending. I need to sell more stuff :oops: :$

So I picked it up today and it is a bit of a beast. It came with a bag of inks so when I got home I did an inventory.

I got 12 sealed OEM Canon inks that just happen to be the ones I use on my home printer :banana:

I got 12 sealed inks for the Pro100S :banana:

I got a full set of inks in the printer already with only one running low :banana:

The printer works too :runaway:

It is always a gamble when you bid at auction but I think I did well this time. I still need to find somewhere to set it up mind you :oops: :$

Thanks, bit of fun and hopefully everyone will share what they receive.
Interesting to see how others go about their printing output.
I did a postcard exchange over Christmas/NY on another forum. Lots of fun but being a global audience it ended up being very expensive (there were 54 of us if I recall). Postage was the killer!

I'm looking forward to this one

I did a postcard exchange over Christmas/NY on another forum. Lots of fun but being a global audience it ended up being very expensive (there were 54 of us if I recall). Postage was the killer!

I'm looking forward to this one

We did a zine swap here, not exactly cheap with 14 to get printed and sent,
Well worth it though to receive so many interesting publications through the letter box.

Kept it to one per person here to keep printing and postage costs down. Not everyone has much cash to spare and keeps it accessible to all this way.

Last edited:
Awesome deal. It's a great printer. Good luck setting it up wirelessly, I gave up!

Press the Wi-Fi button on the printer until the Blue light flashes then press the WPS button on the router within two minutes.
Done and dusted, never had an issue on my Pro 10 and i'm pretty sure they work in a similar fashion.

I'm impressed, you have rare powers of command. In my case, both the nice support girl from Canon and I were nearly in tears of rage :)

OP, if you can remember, try giving it a little 4x6 to do once a day, saves ink start up cycles or whatever it does and ink is NOT cheap. I usually forget, mind you.

I'm impressed, you have rare powers of command. In my case, both the nice support girl from Canon and I were nearly in tears of rage :)

OP, if you can remember, try giving it a little 4x6 to do once a day, saves ink start up cycles or whatever it does and ink is NOT cheap. I usually forget, mind you.

Did you try it the way I described? I've got a smaller A4 Canon printer and that's connects effortlessly like that too.
Pro 10 is upstairs from my router and it still sees it without issue, very odd yours is so poor.

Good advice about using it regularly, I print a nozzle check when like you I remember.
Worst thing apparently for ink wastage via cleaning is unplugging the printer from the mains.
It then does its full routine which in the case of the Pro 10 costs about twenty quid in ink.

Last edited:
Awesome deal. It's a great printer. Good luck setting it up wirelessly, I gave up!

I actually set it up via a network cable and then did the WPS button on the printer and the router and up it popped.

I would say, I have had devices that did not work out so easily and the frustration was palpable so I feel your pain.

Thanks for the tip on the A4 - once per day - after food :D It's currently sitting on the sofa bed in my 'office' so I need to find a more permanent spot for it so I can leave it plugged in and do the daily.

I actually set it up via a network cable and then did the WPS button on the printer and the router and up it popped.

I would say, I have had devices that did not work out so easily and the frustration was palpable so I feel your pain.

Thanks for the tip on the A4 - once per day - after food :D It's currently sitting on the sofa bed in my 'office' so I need to find a more permanent spot for it so I can leave it plugged in and do the daily.

I believe the cleaning business works on a 60hr cycle and becomes more extensive at 120, 240 and finally full on at 480.
The last one is the biggie that sucks you dry or at least it does on mine, its the one it does when it hasn't been used for ages,

Reading of the repetitive head cleans made me wonder ~ Out of curiosity, does this printer have a user replaceable waste ink reservoir?

The one reason AFAIK that sends all(?) consumer grade and possibly many mid range inkjet printers prematurely to the tip (whilst still perfectly working otherwise) is that the user cannot change the waste 'tank' and/or too costly to send it back for printer technician to do it i.e. cheaper to buy a new printer.

Last edited:
Reading of the repetitive head cleans made me wonder ~ Out of curiosity, does this printer have a user replaceable waste ink reservoir?

The one reason AFAIK that sends all(?) consumer grade and possibly many mid range inkjet printers prematurely to the tip (whilst still perfectly working otherwise) is that the user cannot change the waste 'tank' and/or too costly to send it back for printer technician to do it i.e. cheaper to buy a new printer.

My understanding is that they have Ink Absorber Pads that when full need changing by Canon.
If the machine was out of warranty I would have a go at it myself, details are online.
Also says how to reset the ink pad full code that stops the printer working.

I believe the cleaning business works on a 60hr cycle and becomes more extensive at 120, 240 and finally full on at 480.
The last one is the biggie that sucks you dry or at least it does on mine, its the one it does when it hasn't been used for ages,

If you do a print... does the 60hr cycle carry on counting down or does the clock start over again? I assume the later but .....

If you do a print... does the 60hr cycle carry on counting down or does the clock start over again? I assume the later but .....

I believe it does start again, haven't noticed it doing big cleaning cycles and the ink hasn't suddenly depleted.

%%%%%%%%%#%#####(###%&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@&&@@@@&&&@&&&&&&&%, .#&
%%%%%###########(((((#&%&&&&&&&&&&&&&@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@&&@&@@@&&@&&&&&&&&&&. .
%%%%###########((((((((%%&&&&&&&&&&&&@@@@@@@@@@@@@&@&&@&@&&&&@@&@&&&&&&&&&(
%%%########(((((((((((((#%%%%&%&%&&&&@@@@@@@@@@@@&@@@&&&@&&&&@&&&&&@&&@&&&&&,
%%#########((((((((((///(#%%(//(%%&&&@@@@@@@@@@@@@&&&&&&@@@@&&&@&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
######((((((((((((/////////(/***//%%&@@@@@@@@@@@&&&&&&@&@&&&&&&@&&&&&&&&&&&&&&%*
#######(((((((((((////((////**/**//#%&&&@&@@@@@&&&&&&&&&&&@&&&@@&&@&&@&&&&&&&&&&
###(#(((((((((((((((/(//(((/******//(#(########%%&&//**//&@@@@@@&@@&&@&&&&&&&&&&
###(((((((/(((/(/(((((//////*//***/((/((/((((((#//****///&@&@&&&@@@&&@&&&&@&&&&&
((((((((((((//(//////////(((*,******//*///*/((((//*****/%&@&@@@@&@&@@@@&&&&&&&&&
((((((((((((((///((((/(/*,*****,****/****//////*/////*/(%&&&&@&@@&@@&@&&&&&&&&&&
(((((/(//(////(//(#((((/**,,,,**,*/,/*//*****/****,//*(%(((&&@@@@&&&&&@&&&&&&&&&
(((////////(//(((((((#((//*,,*/*,/**/////*/*,*******/((#(((/(#&&&&@&&@&&&&&&&&&&
(/////////////((#((((#((*,*,./*****/*/*////,,***,*,*,*/#(/((///(%&&@@&&@&@&&&&&&
////(/////////(((%((###((**,,,,.*/*******/,..*****,,**/#(///((((%&&&&@@&&&&&&&&&
/*/////////////(((%#((#(/(*,,,,,//*///((/,*/,..,**////((((((((/(#&&&&@&&@&&&&&&&
//*///////*//////(/########/.,,,****/((/*,,,,***,,,*/(//(((((((((%&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
///****//*//*///////#####((#(*,,.////*,,,,,****,***/(((/((((((#((#&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
*/*************//////#%(((((*#****/*,,*,,**/*,*//(/(//(((((#####(((#&&&&&&&&&&&&
****************//////#%///(.*,,,***/////////////((/((((/((#####(((((#%&&&&&&&&&
****************///////(%///,,*******///////////////////((###((#((((((((#&&&&&&*
((((////*****,**,,//////(%/*,,***,********///*////(///((#(##(((###((((//(&&&&%#/
////////**,***,,,,,/*////(#/,,,,,******////*////*///(((#(((((#(#(((((((/((&&%/**
//////*/**/,,,,,,,,,*//////#/**,,*********///**///((((((((((((((((((((///(##//*/
///*//*****,,*,,,*,,,*/////(#///*******///*////((/(((/((//((((#(((((((/////#////
****/*//*****,*,,,.,,,**(////#((/**///////(/(/**//(((/((/(/(((((((((/((((/((((/(
*****/********,,,,,,.,,,*/**//%(///(((((///***/***////////(/((((/(((((((/(/(#/((
***************,,,,,,,,,,*/*/(/%#///**/******/******/////(//(/((((((((((///(#(#(
*****************,,,.,..,,*/,##/#/*,***,**********////*/**//*//(/((((((/(/((#((#
***************,**,,*,....,**.#(*/,,,***//*****************/////((//(((/(((((#((
****************,*,,,,,,....*.,/,*(**,,,***,******/**//***//////////(/(((((((#((
***************,*,,,,,.,.....,.*,**//**,,***/*****/**/*/////(//*///((((((#(###((

Well, the original is a cat but it's lost something in translation!!!

Back