Beginner Advice wanted on museum photography

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I am considering going to a museum in my city and the majority of exhibits are behind glass cases, how could I get good clear photo of the subject without glass reflections, I know using the flash is not a wise thing to do, but, would a polarising filter remove reflections from the glass, I think I also saw that by using a lens hood and putting that flush to the glass would help.

Any advice welcome.

Yes, a polarising filter would be the solution, but I would check with the museum as most places do not allow photographing the exhibits.

No expert but I would use the pol filter, try it on an image you have at home and see how it goes. One thing to be aware of is that many museums do not allow tripods inside because to many mis-haps with them.
Russ

I wouldn't be using a tripod, I'd be using a 50mm f1.8 for the low light images, so, should be able to use a faster shutter speed with an ISO around the 800+ will have to see on the day.

the other classic one with shooting through glass is to use a rubber lens-hood, and kind of "squidge it" to the glass to block out any chance of reflections on the glass... of course, that could compromise your distance to the object, AND if you press too hard and break the glass I'm not going to accept responsibility for your cack-handedness ;)

the other classic one with shooting through glass is to use a rubber lens-hood, and kind of "squidge it" to the glass to block out any chance of reflections on the glass... of course, that could compromise your distance to the object, AND if you press too hard and break the glass I'm not going to accept responsibility for your cack-handedness ;)

This can work really well - partly because you get the increased stability from pressing against something as well as losing the reflections.

I was wondering, with an aperture of f1.8, would that eliminate any reflection especially if no flash is used, I'd be using the existing light used to display the subject.

I was wondering, with an aperture of f1.8, would that eliminate any reflection especially if no flash is used, I'd be using the existing light used to display the subject.
The aperture you use won't have any effect on reflections.

The aperture you use won't have any effect on reflections.

Incorrect, it will blur them to some degree, but, won't remove them, looks like investing in a rubber lens hood will be my best option.

Back