Advice wanted

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,.
First of all apologies if this post is in the wrong forum.
We are looking for advice from a photographer with experience of modelling and who can help with our daughter's interest in this as a potential hobby or something more serious. We are fully supportive but would like to know more about the industry and its requirements and also whether or not this is something she could possibly pursue. We are hoping for some early advice before spending time and money with agencies etc.
Hopefully we will find someone with experience who is able tho give some advice.
Thanks.
Graham

The best advice I can give you is don't had over money to agencies upfront

Not photography related but I heard on Radio 4 the other day that there are still modelling agencies with sharp practices and giving false pretences. Not all will be poor by any means but care is still required as although there is a code of practice not all keep to the spirit of it even if they have signed up. Best of luck for her and hope she gets that lucky break!

[Edit] Just seen Hugh's response - that's part of what the programme was warning.

What sort of modelling is she wanting to get into, where are you based and how old is she?
The reason I ask is there are members from all over the country on here and a few of them will be able to point you in the right direction.

There area number of studios that run creative sessions where models work for free in exchange for some photos from the photographers present, although with these there is no guarantee she will get good images.

Do you know any models that might be able to point you in the right direction?

There are a lot of good photographers out there that are willing to help out new or inexperienced models but there are also a lot of gwc (guy with camera)s and agencies that want cash up front to sign new models.

Thanks Mark. I would be very happy to share details and take your advice if you are able to help? I don't know how to start a conversation here but hopefully you do. Alternatively my email is grahamandrewssw19@gmail.com Thanks. Graham.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I would be very happy to share details and take your advice if you are able to help? I don't know how to start a conversation here but hopefully you do. Alternatively my email is wwwwwwswwxxxxxxxxd Thanks. Graham.

Not a good Idea to put up your email on an open forum.
I would edit it out and send Mark a personal message with it.

Terry (andrews)

There area number of studios that run creative sessions where models work for free in exchange for some photos from the photographers present, although with these there is no guarantee she will get good images.

Time For sessions are rarely of benefit to the model unless (s)he's estabilished an wants something specific for portfolio

The best advice I can give you is don't had over money to agencies upfront

This. There is a huge industry of extracting money from prospective models for shiny portfolios that do nothing. A chap at work had his daughter recommended to an agency 'by someone at Vogue'... and ended up coughing up £1800 after a long hard sell. Even after chatting to me - and I know a little bit about the modelling industry - he was convinced that work would be forthcoming. Until it wasn't.

Take a look at www.modelscams.org.uk

Reputable agencies won't want to see a shiny portfolio. They may charge something if they put one together themselves but will normally recover it from the payments for the first paying jobs.

If she's serious then the thing to do is start shlepping round the big agencies. I don't know much about agency work so we'll fast forward to how PurplePort et al works...

There are a vast number of hobbiest models working in the UK via PurplePort, ModelMayhem and a couple of other sites rather than agencies. Some have agencies too, but there's much hearsay that top agencies won't touch a model who's been anywhere near one of the internet modelling networking sites.

On PP models book directly with - mainly amateur - photographers. It's an interesting business full of the most extraordinarily creative people as well as a very small minority of dubious individuals, so be careful out there. PP's reference system attempts to keep everything as safe as possible.

Some models get popular & skilled enough to host studio days, or regularly get booked for workshops or group shoots. How old is your daughter? The great majority of the full time PurplePort based models I know do nude work - either 'artistic', glamour or both. Not that many pros make a good living doing purely non-nude work. That said plenty of hobbiest models work clothed.

If she goes down the PurplePort route then she should try to find a really skilled photographer to put a portfolio together. Be selective. You may find one willing to work in return for images that they can use for their own portfolio (aka TFI, time for images) if you cover hair & makeup costs - and possibly studio time.

Alternatively your daughter could find out whether she actually enjoys the job by finding a skilled local photographer with some experience of models and paying for a short shoot and a couple of images. Finding the balance between talent and price will be tricky. I'd guess that £300 should get her a basic portfolio together, but check all the terms of the contract before hand and make sure she gets rights to digital and print images. Really, though, she should be able to find someone willing to work for less via PP.

Then - if booking via PP rather than an agency - she should expect to work in return for images for a goodly while while she develops her skills - before she starts charging. Models seem to charge from £20-£50 / hour + travel (and there's a lot of travel) depending on experience. There aren't many at the top end.

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you think I can help.

Back