Advice: wide angle/standard zoom for full frame Nikon. Ideas please!

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I'm looking for an FX Lens for a Nikon. The range i need covered is wide (16-24) to 50mm-ish. Would consider a standard zoom: 24-70/105/120 as wide zooms seem pricier. Not bothered about speed (f4 is fine) or VR but would like decent sharpness and reasonable price (£400-500 second hand). Happy to go with third party lens.

Any experience of lenses that fit this description welcome!!

Thanks!

So you are limited by price here, and focal length. You’ve got a number of decent options though.

24-120 f4 VR G - decent lens usually goes for £350 ish used

Tamron 24-70 2.8 usually around £400 used

Nikon 18-35mm G 3.5-4.5 - great lens - between £325-£450 used depending on time you’re buying and condition - you could always add a 50mm 1.8 D to this for about £50-£60.

You’ll struggle to get better lenses than that for the money. Nikon 24-70 2.8 usually comes in between £550-£700 depending on the condition. Nikon 16-35mm f4 usually around £600 ish.

Sigma 24-105 f/4 is really nice but a bit heavy. I don't think there are many lenses that go both below 24mm and above 35mm in full frame.

So you are limited by price here, and focal length. You’ve got a number of decent options though.

Nikon 18-35mm G 3.5-4.5 - great lens - between £325-£450 used depending on time you’re buying and condition - you could always add a 50mm 1.8 D to this for about £50-£60.

That 18-35mm looks ideal - I've got the 50mm 1.8g so I'm covered there. I'll do a bit more research!

That 18-35mm looks ideal - I've got the 50mm 1.8g so I'm covered there. I'll do a bit more research!
Also consider the new Tamron 17-35 2.8-4.

Check the reviews, far better than the Nikon 18-35 and can be had new for £429.

18-35mm f3.5-4.5G is a great lens imo, I use it with my D850 and it doesn’t disappoint. There’s the 16-35mm f4 which is weather sealed but it’s heavier, more expensive and apparently not as sharp.

Last edited:
Fair enough - have seen good reviews of the Tamron but I have had 2 copies of the Nikon 18-35mm up to now and can assure you it is sharp across the frame.

I am not against the Tamron at all - in fact I am considering getting one in Canon mount and adapting it to my A7III.
There’s another good review here. Now of course people have differing opinions but when you compare the two lenses the Tamron is sharper (considerably so at the edges), it is wider, better aperture range and offers weather sealing.

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=555

Last edited:
Also consider the new Tamron 17-35 2.8-4.

Check the reviews, far better than the Nikon 18-35 and can be had new for £429.
Hmm, that Tamron has surprisingly good reviews. Didn't think there would be a fast wide angle at that price, which is good because I fancies trying to astrophotography.

Hmm, that Tamron has surprisingly good reviews. Didn't think there would be a fast wide angle at that price, which is good because I fancies trying to astrophotography.

I’ve had mine 2 weeks now. Just over £400 new grey import. I bought mine with a view to it doubling up as an Astro lens and wide landscape stuff where I’ve normally ended up with two lenses for that. Loving it so far but only used it for one Astro trip. Want to get out with it in daylight at some point.

24-120 f/4 (NOT the older, variable aperture version) for flexibility.

I’ve had mine 2 weeks now. Just over £400 new grey import. I bought mine with a view to it doubling up as an Astro lens and wide landscape stuff where I’ve normally ended up with two lenses for that. Loving it so far but only used it for one Astro trip. Want to get out with it in daylight at some point.
Where did you buy it from? I've seen it advertised for £399 on the internet ('toby deals etc.) but worried that they're dodgy websites...

24-120 f/4 (NOT the older, variable aperture version) for flexibility.
I was temped by this one as it would be a great walk-about lens, covering wide angle to decent telephoto and pretty good reviews but I've got a 70-300, so I would lose out on the wide end and have considerable overlap on the telephoto end.

I was temped by this one as it would be a great walk-about lens, covering wide angle to decent telephoto and pretty good reviews but I've got a 70-300, so I would lose out on the wide end and have considerable overlap on the telephoto end.

Better to have a decent overlap than a gap! My Nikon system is a 12-24 (Sigma), 24-120 and a 70-300VR (both Nikkors) on a D750 and D700. Most used by far is the 24-120 (although I now use my Fujis more than the Nikons).

Back